What are the issues in playing in multiple bands?

sickman

• Members

..... Other than possible scheduling conflicts. I've been playing with the current band for almost a year. We play about 1-3 times a month. IMO, we've basically found our niched and I don't see the gig schdule picking up unless we make an effort (demo, promopack, light show, etc) to move into some better rooms. I think we're basically stuck playing the same 4-5 rooms.

The band leader is getting a fill in drummer for our next gig. We actually practiced with him and he mentioned he is in a reggae band and their lead guitarist just left. I'm thinking this would be another opportunity to play more and work on a weakness in my playing. The guy is an awesome drummer, so if nothing else it would be an opportunity to jam with him more.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

..... Other than possible scheduling conflicts. I've been playing with the current band for almost a year. We play about 1-3 times a month. IMO, we've basically found our niched and I don't see the gig schdule picking up unless we make an effort (demo, promopack, light show, etc) to move into some better rooms. I think we're basically stuck playing the same 4-5 rooms.

The band leader is getting a fill in drummer for our next gig. We actually practiced with him and he mentioned he is in a reggae band and their lead guitarist just left. I'm thinking this would be another opportunity to play more and work on a weakness in my playing. The guy is an awesome drummer, so if nothing else it would be an opportunity to jam with him more.

In my area it is pretty common for people to be in 2 or 3 bands. This applies to originals as most people I know just do original music. It also helps their gig schedule is pretty spares, one or two gigs per month per band.

• Members

I won't play with people in multiple bands. The scheduling conflicts aren't worth it. Then they'll come to rehearsal unprepared because they've been learning stuff for the other band. It's almost always too much trouble.

• Members

I won't play with people in multiple bands. The scheduling conflicts aren't worth it. Then they'll come to rehearsal unprepared because they've been learning stuff for the other band. It's almost always too much trouble.

+1

• Members

I agree, but the main drummer plays in another band and the other two guys play in an acoustic duo. I figure why should I sit idle when the band leader is actively seeking duo gigs in addition to full band gigs.

We never rehearse, so that's not an issue. Only issue I could see is if I commit to something with this second band and it could prevent him from booking. But, at the same time what about the nights he is doing the duo??

• Members

I'm looking at doing a blues/jazz thing as a side project, but it would definitely be a side thing. My main band would remain my priority.

I think that's the important thing, one band has to be your priority and you have to be completely honest about that with the members of any side project you may have.

• Members

Then they'll come to rehearsal unprepared because they've been learning stuff for the other band. It's almost always too much trouble.

That was never an issue with me, but it did become an issue with a drummer that was also in another band with me.

• Members

I just started playing with an originals band. So far, no conflicts. My cover band is booked several months out so open dates are available for original gigs. We have our first 2 or 3 gigs coming up and, luckily, they fall on open dates.

I told the originals guys about my cover band commitment before joining and I told the cover guys about the original band. Best to be open about everything.

• Moderators

I've been in at least two bands at a time for the last ten years, and never really had any significant problems other than the very occasional scheduling conflict. And nobody has ever told me I was unreliable or causing them problems because of it.

• Members

The schedules will be the most conflict. And you will need to be prepared to be able to deal with it when it becomes a conflict. Two ( or three ) active working bands will eventually book a gig at the same time. You'll need to decide now which band has precedence. But it is doable. Lots of guys around here play with multiple bands. Somehow, they are able to manage the schedules for rehearsals and performances to minimize conflict.

• Members

Communication is the main key. Keep everyone in all your bands informed about what you are doing. More than likely there will be the occasional schedule conflict, but if you are in enough demand as a musician those kinds of things can usually be worked out with subs, if necessary.

• Members

Communication is the main key. Keep everyone in all your bands informed about what you are doing. More than likely there will be the occasional schedule conflict, but if you are in enough demand as a musician those kinds of things can usually be worked out with subs, if necessary.

^^ This !!! ^^

I also think it's best if your various projects don't compete directly with one another. I'm a "full timer" with two projects - one is a private party/corporate/wedding thing that gigs 1x (ish) per month. The other is a bar band that gigs roughly the same. Both bands are aware of my "other" band - and are cool with it.

If your bands do compete with each other - it's crucial that you ensure that YOU be absolutely fair about gigs and NEVER steer an inquiry about Band A towards Band B.

When it comes to scheduling - my "best practices" are pretty simple. First, paid gigs trump practices (meaning I'll cancel a practice with either band to play a paid gig with the other). Aside from that - I schedule EVERYTHING (gigs and practices) on a first come basis. Once I commit to a date with Band "X" - I don't ever back out of it - even if it means that I leave money on the table.

It goes without saying that you MUST carry your weight in both groups - showing up for rehearsals prepared, putting your back into load-ins and load-outs and whatever else needs to be done. You can NEVER blame your other band for not being prepared - which means you must do the work.

If you're working with a couple of 1 (ish) gig per month bands - it's very doable.

• Members

just communicate. our bassist plays with an oldies/ doo wop show band usually 1X every 6-8 weeks. Their band leader usually sends us their dates or we send ours to him. Its a side thing. Me & our guitarist are picking up some gigs soon doing an accoustic thing but again, it will be side project.

• Members

I do multiple cover bands and have been able to work it out. I have a "main" band that ios my priority band. I commit to 6 shows a month with that band and they agree to always take one full weekend off a month. My "2nd" band is a tribute act and I only play with them if band 1 isnt booked. I provide keyboard tracks to band 2 for free to use if I am unavailable and they are happy with that. Band 3 works only on dates that Band 1 or Band 2 are marked unavailable on our calendar for some reason or on weeknights.

Using this open formulaic approach I have been able to keep a full schedule and 3 happy bands. We all use Google calendar and each band has its own calendar which we then share with each other so its easy to easy whose available and when.

• Members

Well if the band leader is doing the same thing, I guess he doesn't have a right to complain about any scheduling conflicts that come up.

Personally, I've had mostly nothing but crap experiences of playing with people who are in multiple bands. It can be OK if the two bands play in completely different "territories" - like one is original and one's covers, or they're two completely different styles of music, so the two bands aren't competing for the same gigs at the same venues. If they are, bad things are bound to happen.

Also, if everyone in the band is in other bands, your "main" band may end up having even fewer gigs, because the nights when everyone is available and not booked with another band will be few and far between. That can cause bad feelings as well, although as I say if the bandleader himself is contributing to the "problem" I guess he can't blame others for doing so.

If your "main" band already has residencies booked out for awhile and know when the dates are, then if you fill out some of the other dates with gigs with other bands, that might not be so bad. :idk:

• Members

Thanks for the replies. I checked out the page of the other band the drummer plays with and they only have two gigs in the next three months. I don't really look at it as a big commitment. It is a complete different style of music (reggae versus classic rock/blues).

I think it would really be a good opportunity to stretch my playing as it is a style that is much more percussive and strict than I am use to.

• Members

I've never played in bands with members who *don't* play in multiple bands. Not everyone, but at least one bandmate (always the drummer!) is always in one or more other bands. At least our new drummer isn't playing in multiple bands within the same genre, but he owns a studio and - in addition to the usual engineer/producer work, often does session work for bands he's recording.

I'm technically in a second band now (with my wife and the aforementioned drummer) and just turned down an offer to play in a third. Most of the musicians I know play in at least two.

• Members

Priorities. Band #1 is your wife and family. Band #2 is fun-fun girl mistress. Someday you have to make choice, Big Boy. Many year hard-work family wife? Or maybe fun-fun girl? Think hard Big Boy. Decision change everything. You pick wrong, Daddy take T-Bird away.

• Members

The main focus of replies has been about schedule conflicts, which seem to be able to be resolved with communication.

The worse thing I've experienced was mentioned but only briefly: the conflict of being prepared. A person in two bands better be good enough to carry it, because as soon as they start slipping up at all, the tension gets up with people thinking it's because the practice is being directed to the other band.

No slip ups, no problems.

GaJ

• Members

I'm not trying to put you on the defensive here, but would a reggae band want you as a lead guitar player if reggae was a weak point for you?

• Members

I'm not trying to put you on the defensive here, but would a reggae band want you as a lead guitar player if reggae was a weak point for you?

Dude, I'm so awesome my weak point is still a million times better than most musicians. :idea:

But seriously... I don't know. It wouldn't be the end of the world either way. They play 1-2 times a month and he stated they have had trouble keeping guitar players. Weak point maybe a bad word. It's not something I have as much experience with as rock and blues type music. I have spent time working out stuff like Bob Marley and the Wailers, Peter Tosh, Gregory Isaacs, Toots and the Maytals, Bunny Wailer, and Sublime. It just has a totally different feel from the stuff I have always played in with bands.

I'm getting a little bored with the classic rock stuff. I saw one of the previous guys and he was nothing great, basically a noodler. I think it would be fun, but hey if I don't cut it I don't cut it. It's ok.:)

Archived