Anybody play...

• Members

... Still Alive and Well by Johnny Winter? I was thinking of adding this to my Guitaraoke list. I'm sure the 20-somethings I mostly play to have never heard it but I think they'd dig it.

I'm 48 and I'm not even sure I know that song.

I've seen that album cover a million times in used record stores, though.

• Members

20 somethings would care less. We play that kind of stuff and played to a crowd of 20 somethings this weekend... it went over like a led zeppelin. I think you'd be better off sticking to 90s-current rock music.

Or very familiar classic rock. If this is for "guitaroke", why risk playing something the guitarokeiers won't recognize? Just give 'em "Rocky Mountain Way" or something.

• Members

Or very familiar classic rock. If this is for "guitaroke", why risk playing something the guitarokeiers won't recognize? Just give 'em "Rocky Mountain Way" or something.

Good point. I think you could get away with stuff that is on Guitar Hero or played in movies and on tv commercials.

I believe our problem is the bandleader states "younger people love all this classic stuff. They play Guitar Hero with their friends and think that stuff is so cool". However, I don't think that makes them go out and search other stuff by the same artist. They might know "Mississippi Queen", "Freebird", "School's Out", or "Sweet Home Alabama".... but if you play "Dreams of Milk and Honey", "I Know A Little", or "Whipping Post" you get a lot of blank stares.

I checked out a lot of that stuff because I liked it, but there are a lot of people around my age and younger who will just download one song to have on their iPod and it won't even be the right artist.... you'll get something like "Mississippi Queen" by Kiss or Ted Nugent. Haha

• Members

I checked out a lot of that stuff because I liked it, but there are a lot of people around my age and younger who will just download one song to have on their iPod and it won't even be the right artist.... you'll get something like "Mississippi Queen" by Kiss or Ted Nugent. Haha

Well that's just it. Kids don't buy albums anymore. When I was a teenager and you liked a song, you had to buy the album to get it. (Singles were for little kids, and you couldn't play them in your car anyway...)

So you got to hear all the cool album cuts too, and learn to like an artist.

When I used to hang around on Napster back in "the day", I would be amused by how many files were being traded around with the wrong artist's name attached to it. People would just attach whoever the thought it sounded like to them. "Time In A Bottle" by James Taylor----stuff like that. I tried correcting a few people thinking they'd want to know. The response I got was always "so what? who cares?"

A lot of kids who play guitar hero probably love "Rocky Mountain Way" because it's a cool song with a cool guitar part. But tell them that it's by Joe Walsh who did other really cool solo songs and stuff with The James Gang and with the Eagles and most would probably give you no more than a quick "oh, OK..that's cool..." and move on. I seriously doubt any of them are going to go out and buy even Joe Walsh's Greatest Hits let alone a full older album of his.

• Members

I agree, guido. What I liked about Napster/limewire when I was younger was the fact I could get every song by any musician in a matter of hours. I went to school right when high speed internet was becoming popular, so I could start downloading 30-40 songs by Muddy Waters, head to class, and come home with tons of stuff to listen to. It was awesome.

I have since bought everything I downloaded as at this point I feel like I do owe it to the musicians so they can make a living. With musicians I haven't heard I will go to youtube and I can get a pretty good feeling of whether or not I will like something enough to buy it.

• Members

I dont think it would work for you.

dk

I gotta agree ,,, its one of those songs that its cool when johnny winter does it ,,, I question if it would work for you. Its just not one of those songs..

• Members

I admit to downloading a lot of stuff when all that was first going on. Most of it was stuff I had bought years ago on LP so I felt like I had already "paid" for it. Not that that made it right. But I also didn't think it was particularly fair to pay $15 for a CD with only one or two songs I liked either.

I love iTunes because I think paying $1.29 per song is fair. But like today's kids, I just download the song or two I like by a new artist and make mixes.

Unfortunately, albums are an all-but-dead art form.

• Members

Well that's just it. Kids don't buy albums anymore. When I was a teenager and you liked a song, you had to buy the album to get it. (Singles were for little kids, and you couldn't play them in your car anyway...)

So you got to hear all the cool album cuts too, and learn to like an artist.

When I used to hang around on Napster back in "the day", I would be amused by how many files were being traded around with the wrong artist's name attached to it. People would just attach whoever the thought it sounded like to them. "Time In A Bottle" by James Taylor----stuff like that. I tried correcting a few people thinking they'd want to know. The response I got was always "so what? who cares?"

A lot of kids who play guitar hero probably love "Rocky Mountain Way" because it's a cool song with a cool guitar part. But tell them that it's by Joe Walsh who did other really cool solo songs and stuff with The James Gang and with the Eagles and most would probably give you no more than a quick "oh, OK..that's cool..." and move on. I seriously doubt any of them are going to go out and buy even Joe Walsh's Greatest Hits let alone a full older album of his.

when i was young the 45s were the main stay of bands learning material. Nothing was a bigger bummer than haveing ot buy an LP just to nab a top 40 hit. We chewed up a ton of 45s playing drop the needle. An old record player with a nickle taped to the arm was real commin .. because you totally destroyed 45s playing them over and over to nab the lyrics. They would get so ate up that weighting the arm and needle was the only way they would play.

• Members

Yeah. I bought 45s as a little kid and later on only when my band needed a single song to learn as a cover. Usually dub 'em to cassette and learn them that way.

The great thing about learning songs off the LP though, was you could play it at 16-speed and the guitar solos would be slowed way down, but an octave lower.

• Members

Yeah. I bought 45s as a little kid and later on only when my band needed a single song to learn as a cover. Usually dub 'em to cassette and learn them that way.

The great thing about learning songs off the LP though, was you could play it at 16-speed and the guitar solos would be slowed way down, but an octave lower.

We didnt have cassettes ,, they had not been invented yet lol. We did have 8 tracks though.. but they were worthless for learning songs off. today guys got it made. Tab, lots of stuff on the net and digital music that even is in 440 pitch so you can play along with keyboard.

• Members

We didnt have cassettes ,, they had not been invented yet lol.

Yeah, I started a bit later than you. When I first started learning songs from records in the mid 70s I had one of those little portable Panasonic cassette decks with a built in microphone. It was great for sitting on top of my Rhodes, or on my bed next to my guitar and hitting the rewind button over and over to learn chord changes and solos.

THE best learning-parts machine I ever had was a very early model of the Sony Discman (had this big heavy flat battery that attached to the bottom of it) I got around 1988. It had a feature that would allow you to repeat a portion of music over and over. I've never seen a CD player since with a similar feature. I lost that player in a messy breakup with an ex-girlfriend. I wish I still had it.

I can do the same thing now on my computer, but accessing my computer from my keyboard isn't always the easiest thing to do.

Archived