Beatles Tribute bands

• 1 year later...
  • Members

i just saw rain wed night at time union theater in jax fl and this past evening saw fab four at ponte vedra concert hall. they both did an excellent job and were very entertaining shows. the john and ringo in fab four look and sounded and also looked closer but excellent vocals with spot on harmonies in both bands, very solid musicianship, good sound and mixes at both venues. rain had extra musician playing keyboards while fab four had no extra. the ed sullivan impersonator fab four had was funny.

gear wise, with rain i saw the vox amp that the john was playing through was miced and had some boss pedals underneath it while the gut playing george's vox amp was not miced and has some pedalboard that looked like a tc guitar system from best i could tell. for st pepper era he played painted strat with a roland synth pickup. the guy playing paul played lefty bass all night but played right handed acoustic on yesterday and two of us.

with fab four, none of the amps were miced. the guy playing george played through a vox tonelab direct and i believe it was controlled remotely. i'd guess similar for john. only bad tone noticed was on get back when the files john plays was played on bridge pickup sounded harsh. by contrast the prior night, rain's john, played those leads on neck pickup and tone sounded way better.

• Members

I saw Beatlemania! in 1995 a few months before the Beatles Anthology was broadcast on ABC (or A-BEATLES-C as they called it in their ads, haha corny). They were amazing! The thing that really impressed me is when they actually performed the dropouts on the original mix for "Day Tripper" (the part in the song where it goes "Tried to please her," then the guitar drops out, "she only plays one night stands...tried to please her," drop out again). :eek: My cousin and I are huge Beatles music fans, so we both shot a look at each other and laughed.

The bass player portraying Paul messed up a few times throughout the night (perhaps he was a fill-in), but otherwise, they were really good. The only downside was "Paul" was a righty, not a lefty. When they returned a few months later during the Anthology broadcast, they had a lefty Paul. Unfortunately, I was very sick at the time, so I couldn't see them. Apparently, they played "Free As A Bird" and called it "our new single," as if they had always been together.

I have seen Rain: A Tribute To The Beatles at the Fargodome in 2004. Unfortunately, my impression of them was not favorable. I didn't care for the way that the guy playing George started ripping on the guitar with extended solos ala Hendrix. The guy is a great musician, no doubt about it, but it totally took me out of the show when he did that. I also expected more of a light show and other entertainment aspects, but it seemed a bit stiff. Maybe they were having a bad night or something, or the fact that the venue wasn't sold out bothered 'em, who knows?

I saw another version of Beatlemania! just before Christmas the following year at the Empire Theater in Grand Forks. The guy portraying John looked eerily similar to him. It was uncanny! They did a great job (another righty Paul) talking and acting like them onstage.

• Members

Last year, the Beatles band I was a part of wrapped it up. We did every album in chronological order over a 7 year period. Linked below are some videos from some of the shows. Unfortunately, we don't have video of the first few albums, we have audio/video from Rubber Soul onward. The band essentially split into 2 separate groups after the last album. We had a big falling-out and like most bands, it did not end amicably. We donated $250,000 to charity over the seven year period; that is one of the positives I took away from the "experience."

Here are a few clips from our old youtube page (look at ALL those music stands):

I'm the guy with the blue PRS stage right!

From the White Album shows:

[video=youtube;CxENAGy0dg0]

[video=youtube;DbvUOVVQe3o]

From the Abbey Road shows:

[video=youtube;i0H4y5BIcuo]

[video=youtube;OnkUvd8M1gA]

[video=youtube;addNpGRQaiQ]

From the Let It Be shows:

[video=youtube;_HBmF94FCNI]

• Members

I watched a early beatles act, some 5 or ten years ago at six flags in st louis.......great show, well done production and vocals were right on. I have no idea who the group actually was tho. The had the haircuts, suits and all. I was thinking they were actually from england I think.

• Members

A band called "The Return" comes by here and does a show at our little 700 seat creaky ass old Civic Center. And they pack the place. The only sold out music performances in 20 years. They've done a "touring years" show and a "Sgt. Peppers Plus" show. Chatted up the dudes after the show. Nice cats. And they make KILLER money. I think they got around 3K.

Nice work if you can get it, but I couldn't do a tribute band thing to that extent these days.....

• Members

Last year, the Beatles band I was a part of wrapped it up. We did every album in chronological order over a 7 year period. Linked below are some videos from some of the shows. Unfortunately, we don't have video of the first few albums, we have audio/video from Rubber Soul onward. The band essentially split into 2 separate groups after the last album. We had a big falling-out and like most bands, it did not end amicably. We donated $250,000 to charity over the seven year period; that is one of the positives I took away from the "experience."

Here are a few clips from our old youtube page (look at ALL those music stands):

I'm the guy with the blue PRS stage right!

Nice stuff chem!

• Members

All I know is I watched the Rain thing on PBS a while back and it they were using tracks.

It's a lot easier to be that great with harmonies, etc. when you are playing to pre-recorded music.

They certainly weren't using tracks when I saw them back in the 70's

• Members

Correction: I saw "RAIN" perform three straight nights at the "Club Venus"

in Baltimore around 1976-1977. They were fabulous. I went the first night blind (didn't even know who was playing that night) and they blew me away so much that I went back the next two nights to hear them again.

'75', 76, 77 ?? It's all pretty much a blur for me back that far (especially considering some of the "recreational activities" I was involved in during those years!! :lol:

• Members

I saw a few minutes of some ice skating show recently on TV, which had a Beatles cover band playing music to match the "mood" of whatever skating routine was on the ice. I think it was an ABC special or something, but they were GREAT. Older guys all dressed to look the part, but they pulled it off (no talking between songs either), and their sound was TIGHT.

Archived