Gigging with minors

Bignasty006

• Members

Hi, my name is Kade. I'm in a bit of a pickle with my band. Us 5 have all grown up together and have been playing music for a while. 10 years for me personally. We have played numerous talent shows, parties, etc. Its great and all, but we can't really reach all the people we would like because of age limitations on bars and clubs.

Right now 3 of the 5 people are of age to get into bars, but what do we do about the other 2 (Our drummer and bassists)?

Please let me know your thoughts on this concerning venues to play at that are all ages. thanks in advance:)

• Members

Well, it's been, umm, awhile since I was underaged :lol:, but I started playing in bars when I was 15, in bands with older guys. I went to my state Alcoholic Beverage Commission and got a letter from them stating that it was OK for me to be in the bar while I was working. The letter said it was OK for me to be in the stage area, backstage and load-in areas only. I couldn't sit at the bar, and I had to leave when the band wasn't working.

But, it satisfied bar owners when we showed them the letter. I don't know if that'd still work now or it would work in your state, but it's worth a phone call to find out.

• Members

Well, it's been, umm, awhile since I was underaged
:lol:
, but I started playing in bars when I was 15, in bands with older guys. I went to my state Alcoholic Beverage Commission and got a letter from them stating that it was OK for me to be in the bar while I was working. The letter said it was OK for me to be in the stage area, backstage and load-in areas only. I couldn't sit at the bar, and I had to leave when the band wasn't working.

But, it satisfied bar owners when we showed them the letter. I don't know if that'd still work now or it would work in your state, but it's worth a phone call to find out.

Wow, you did things the right way, Lee! :D

I just hoped that places wouldn't ask how old I was, and if they did, it would just kind of work itself out. :poke: I started playing in bars when I was 18 back in early '89 in North Dakota and Montana.

This topic would have been appropriate for me last year. I decided to form my own band and the drummer happened to be 18-going-on-19 at the time. We were able to get away with playing the gigs without too much hassle, but it was definitely a concern of ours, especially when it came to drinking. Thankfully, we avoided being fined and/or jailed. :cop::thu:

• Members

KADE! Welcome.

With all due respect to the above posters, the ONLY way you're going to do this without causing trouble is letting the promoter/ bar know WHEN YOU BOOK THE GIG that not everyone is 21. They'll either let you know what to do or say you can't play. It's the only way you're going to stay on the straight with the club so that A) they're cool with your band and B) you guys don't show up to play and they won't let a chunk of the band in.

Take the 10 seconds to bring it up when you're booking the show and save yourself a LOT of hassle.

Cheers!

• Members

Start with bars that are attached to restaurants. If the establishment is registered as a restaurant you should have no problems. That and stuff like American Legion or Knights of Columbus halls are good places to start. I assume you are in the US.

Just make sure the bar knows beforehand. Many bars in the Chicago area allow under 21 workers and it can be argued that the band is working. It is very important that the underage guys DO NOT drink at the gig. Your band will be blackballed and someone will be spending the night in jail. Once you tell them you have underaged players, they will be watching.

• Members

Wow, you did things the
right
way, Lee!
:D

I really didn't have any choice. I was 15 - there was no way I was ever going to not be questioned. I don't think I even looked 15 - when I was 19 or 20 I got pulled over by cops a couple of times, because they thought I looked too young to drive. :facepalm::lol:

I did get a fake ID when I was 18, mainly so I could get into bars to see other bands that I liked.

This topic would have been appropriate for me last year. I decided to form my own band and the drummer happened to be 18-going-on-19 at the time. We were able to get away with playing the gigs without too much hassle, but it was definitely a concern of ours, especially when it came to drinking. Thankfully, we avoided being fined and/or jailed.

The times this is been an issue with bands that I've seen, nobody gets fined or jailed, they just kick the underage people out of the club and don't let them play the gig. The venue might get in trouble, I suppose, although I haven't seen that happen personally.

• Members

I attended my senior year of high school during the day and played 5 nights a week. You don't need to sleep when you're 17.

I did this during my freshman year of high school. Trouble was, we couldn't go on the road except in summer, because of me being in school. So the following year I took the GED and quit high school. :lol:

• Members

I was in a situation like this once. Me & the bassist were both 19 or 20 and the rest of the guys were over 21. We just snuck in pretty much. We looked alot older so that helped. No one asked and we didn't tell. I also didn't drink or go looking for trouble... the bassist on the other hand hmmmm....

I would check with the LCB and then with the bar. Even if your state law says it's OK the bar you are gigging at may not.

• Members

Well, it's been, umm, awhile since I was underaged
:lol:
, but I started playing in bars when I was 15, in bands with older guys. I went to my state Alcoholic Beverage Commission and got a letter from them stating that it was OK for me to be in the bar while I was working. The letter said it was OK for me to be in the stage area, backstage and load-in areas only. I couldn't sit at the bar, and I had to leave when the band wasn't working.

COmlete ditto for me. I started playing bars in Alabama, when I was 17.

I did the same thing and never had a problem.

• Members

I used to take my daughter as my assistant to most of our gigs when she was just 15 but looked 20 and our drummer always took his grandson the same age as an extra roadie. As long as the kids stayed backstage or sat on or near the stage there was rarely a problem though one time after the stage was set the management made the grandson stay outside in the alley with the cars.

This Saturday I'm playing at a sports bar in a top 40 band fronted by a 17 year old.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

There are state, county, and municipal statutes. There's also club policy if they've had trouble with "The Board" in/re underage drinking. if you live near a state line it would be unwise to assume the regs are the same 0on both sides.

Don't depend on being covered by the statutes regarding age limits for club emplyees. If you're issued a 1099 by the club, you may be covered, otherwise you are independant contractors and responsible for all the {censored}.

In other words, do your homework in all the jurisdictions you play. Be honest with the club management. Do not cheat.

Archived