Life in a Cover Band

flanc

• Members

Yes I have been on the receiving end of this type of thing too many times. For some reason we always seem to get some drunk chick demanding that we play some country song I have never heard of before. I don't listen to country music so I really don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Hell we used to get this type of thing even when I played original music. It is even more fun to try and explain to some drunk brain dead person that we don't play other peoples songs.

Max

• Members

The worst is when they sing 1 line of the chorus and expect you to magically know all of the words as well as the music.

I try to be as understanding as I can be to these people. I think the problem is that people who know nothing about music don't understand that there is a learning process involved. Since a musician's ability to pick up a guitar and make music with it seems like 'magic' to them, then they probably don't really understand why, if a musician knows what song you're taking about, he can't just play the whole thing. I think they think that if a musician can sing the melody and some of the words to a song, then they can just as easily play all the proper chords and instrumental parts.

• Members

I try to be as understanding as I can be to these people. I think the problem is that people who know nothing about music don't understand that there is a learning process involved. Since a musician's ability to pick up a guitar and make music with it seems like 'magic' to them, then they probably don't really understand why, if a musician knows what song you're taking about, he can't just play the whole thing. I think they think that if a musician can sing the melody and some of the words to a song, then they can just as easily play all the proper chords and instrumental parts.

while conveying via ESP to the rest of the band what they should be doing ;)

• Members

Since a musician's ability to pick up a guitar and make music with it seems like 'magic' to them, then they probably don't really understand why, if a musician knows what song you're taking about, he can't just play the whole thing.

hahaha! so well put!

• Members

Yes I have been on the receiving end of this type of thing too many times. For some reason we always seem to get some drunk chick demanding that we play some country song I have never heard of before. I don't listen to country music so I really don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Wow. This exact thing happened to me last weekend. Stupid chick grabbed her friend and stormed out of the club because we wouldn't play some "nu-country" song she demanded we play. I don't listen to country either, so I had no idea what song- or even the artist - she was talking about.

The stupid thing is...there are probably twice as many clubs with live country music in this area than rock, yet she was incensed that we would not play country for her. I wonder if the country bands get requests for Metallica all night?

• Members

Wow. This exact thing happened to me last weekend. Stupid chick grabbed her friend and stormed out of the club because we wouldn't play some "nu-country" song she demanded we play. I don't listen to country either, so I had no idea what song- or even the artist - she was talking about.

The stupid thing is...there are probably twice as many clubs with live country music in this area than rock, yet she was incensed that we would not play country for her. I wonder if the country bands get requests for Metallica all night?

it's happened to me as well...

"PLAY FRIENDS IN LOW PLACES!!!"

-I'm sorry, I don't know it.

"You know, I'VE GOT FRIENDS IN LOWWW PLACES..."

-Yeah, I'm familiar with the song but we don't know it

"YOU KNOW!!! Blame it all on my roots!!!!"

-right but I don't know all the words, you can't sit there telling me the lyrics for the entire song and my band doesn't know how to play it.

"I thought you guys were supposed to be good!! You're lame"

-neat.

• Members

Wow, y'all are too nice.

I can only imagine three responses (usually in this order):

- Ignore the drunk idiot.

- A firm, friendly "Nope."

- A firm, unfriendly "Go F yourself."

There is also "only if I can see your tits"

but she might show them. And I might have to sing Neon Moon on the rooftop of a bar.

• Members

There is also "only if I can see your tits"

but she might show them. And I might have to sing Neon Moon on the rooftop of a bar.

Yep. Tried that line once. Suddenly I was forced to try and stumble my way through "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley.

And the tits weren't even all that nice....

• Members
I don't think there is a pair of boobs in the world nice enough to make me play a country song just for a quick look.

Max

It's not about the tits, it's about your honor. Clearly, I meant it as a joke and clearly she didn't take it that way so... given she showed her tits... the sun went down on my part of town a lonesome feeling walked through the door and the whole world turned blue.

• Members
it's happened to me as well...

"PLAY FRIENDS IN LOW PLACES!!!"

-I'm sorry, I don't know it.

"You know, I'VE GOT FRIENDS IN LOWWW PLACES..."

-Yeah, I'm familiar with the song but we don't know it

"YOU KNOW!!! Blame it all on my roots!!!!"

-right but I don't know all the words, you can't sit there telling me the lyrics for the entire song and my band doesn't know how to play it.

"I thought you guys were supposed to be good!! You're lame"

-neat.

don't you love that? "but its a simple song!!!"

Archived