Playing in a Band With Guys Twice My Age :)

dgc480

• Members

Hey, so I met a group of older guys (50s) who are in a classic rock cover band. Their lead guitarist / sound guy just left the band, and when he did he unplugged all of the cables to the PA system just to be a jack@ss.

Just so happens, I'm a lead guitarist / sound guy, and they needed some help putting their PA back together. So I went over to help the lead singer/rythm player set up the PA, and ended up jamming out for a bit on guitar. He dug it, and was really glad that I new so much about PA systems as well. So he asked if I wanted to come by for a full practice and maybe join the band. I'm like, hell yea, this will be a great experience jamming with a bunch of older guys. Not to mention they're an established cover band and I'd be walking into a gig a week paycheck.

I'm 22 btw. Does anyone think it will just be too strange having a young lead guitarist in a band of older guys? I think maybe it'll be a cool touch. People are surprised when a young kid can hold his own. Idk, I'm excited :)

• Members

DO IT!!! I have a few older "handlers" trying to steer me on the right path, and you can't replace the knowledge and experience they will give & rub off on you.

If you are all getting along good, DO IT!!

Older/more experienced people will make you better, they've already been around the block and back! :thu:

• Members

I've been playing in bands with guys older than me since I was about your age (I'm 32 now). It's always worked out very well for me. If nothing else, it'll be a good experience for you, build up your chops, and get you in front of crowds and (potentially) other musicians. Have fun with it!

• Members

I've pretty much done it since I was 15-16. I remember I had to get my Mom to drive me at first. I'm 30 now and currently in a "geezer" band. It has it's pros and cons. If you are really into playing blues, classic rock type stuff then it's a good deal. At first it was like "look at the hotshot young guitar player ripping it up with these old dudes". It wasn't really a "gimmick" I felt comfortable with just because I'm really not someone who feels comfortable getting a lot of attention.

It can be difficult if you're looking to play anything post 90s. I love Alice in Chains as much as BB King, but 50 year olds really aren't into playing "Would?". On the flip side it was always hard finding people my own age to play something like "The Thrill is Gone" or "Whipping Post".

One thing I quickly learned is there are a lot of older guys who still are "chasing the dream" and really have no idea how to put a band together. From my experience most 50 year olds aren't quick to take advice from a 20-something.

The current group of guys I play with are really easy going. But, the band has pretty much hit its peak. 1-2 gigs a month, we haven't added new songs in several months, and we're rotating through the same 3 places. The next youngest guy is 50 and he wants to add more modern rock, but the other guys have stated they'd feel stupid playing stuff like Foo Fighters or STP.

It has positives and negatives like anything else. I like my current situation because it is a great group of guys and we just show up, play, and make good music. One thign I wish I would have tried to do more when I was younger was an original thing. I've always been able to come up with stuff, whether it's just a riff or an entire song. It might not be any good, but I've got the ideas. I've got a few good friends who are excellent musicians, but the closest one is 1.5 hours away... While that distance is too far to get into a gigging thing I think we could still jam a few times a month and come up with songs. If it takes a year to get 10 decent ones, it takes a year. But, I think we could put together an original thing. I'm planning to get the wheels in motion shortly.

• Members

Dotto everyone else. When I was 17, I was invited to join a band of guys 22-35. I learned tone from them. Later, I joined another band at 22 of guys who were late 40s-mid 60s, and again, I learned a butt ton, as well as heard some great stories.

One of those old guys was the one who told me my guitar was like my woman- I couldn't ignore it all week and expect it to put out on the weekend, a piece of advice I've never forgotten!

• Members

You'll learn a lot if you're cool with the material. And they'll probably learn a thing or two as well!

I don't think it will matter at all to have one young guy with a bunch of geezers. I'm sure their audience will be totally cool with it. Not nearly as much as it would matter to have one geezer wtih a bunch of young guys. We had a drummer for a while that was 20-25 years younger than the rest of us. Worked out great and I don't ever recall anyone in the audience thinking twice about it.

Have fun!

• Members

My band has 4 guys, age 39 to 42. Our lead singer is 23 and a female.

She doesn't seem to have any problems. She is having a great time. Learning from people who have "been there done that..."

Go for it man, have a GREAT time. You will be better for it in the end. (That isn't to say young kids don't have a clue)

• Members

yea for sure thanks for the support guys. Another reason I'm wishy washy on it is because I've got a couple other roads I could go down. My girlfriend sings / plays keys, and we just met a good drummer and bassist. So we were thinking about starting an original / funk cover band. However, I need a paying gig and I don't see this band being gig-ready for at least 4-6 months. It would be a ton of work trying to write enough songs and learn enough covers, with all of us working full time, to be gig ready.

Second, my girlfriend does a bunch of singer songwriter stuff, and she's sayin "well if I'm gonna put that much work into a band I'd like to be working on my own stuff, not covers". This makes a ton of sense, and it would be very rewarding to work with my girlfriend on her original stuff. We both write soft acoustic music. It's good and has a lot of potential, but I'm not sure how to start a band around that, or get shows for that style. Not to mention, I've gotta get some rockin solos out of my system every now and then :)

So Idk, I'm sort of torn in three directions right now...

• Members

As someone that jumped in with 'experienced people'...don't take it for granted that a guy who says he's been banging around cover bands for 30 years, actually knows what he's doing...

I dropped more musical talent in the bathroom this morning then allot of the old timers are showing around here....

• Members

As someone that jumped in with 'experienced people'...don't take it for granted that a guy who says he's been banging around cover bands for 30 years, actually knows what he's doing...

As with anything in life there are those who SAY they've done {censored} and those who have actually DONE {censored}.

Anyone who actually had 30 years of real playing experience would never want to hook up with a 40-something beginner. So that should have been your FIRST clue that he didn't know what he was doing.

• Members

And the reality is...when you play with these 'experts'...you see what's really going on...crappy song choice, crap gigs, bad sound, too loud...and your wondering 'is this as good as it gets'...so you come home and put on a Clapton video, and wake up from the nightmare...

Again, as with anything in life, 90% of what exists is {censored}. Yeah, if you want to be in a REAL band and sound REAL good and get REAL gigs and actually be SERIOUS about it...90% of the cats out there aren't going to be worth your time. So if you're serious about it you have to A) know the real deal from the losers and B) make sure YOU'RE the real deal and not a loser.

It's not much different from any other job or endeavor in life, really.

• Members

90% is a little cynical for me....I see it this way... if you go see a band, they sound good, they are having fun, the crowd is moving around....and they want me to be the guitar player....we have something to talk about it..

Not hard to see music students come together, or blues jammers coming together, or people in a club circuit, having heard each other, coming together..

You know who can play...so you start from there..

Tough to say how many people are misrepresenting their talents...doesn't matter...show me a video of your gig...or I will come down, have a beer, watch you guys...we can go from there...

I have dropped by peeps houses that don't really gig, don't really want to play out or jam...ect ect....there are good people playing in bedrooms, but sooner or later, peeps get good enough to play live in some format...that's really where you need to find them....

• Members

90% is a little cynical for me....

Depends what you're looking for and what your standards are. Among that 90% are a lot of nice guys who are decent players but whom I'd never want to be a band with because it takes a lot to have the right combination of playing ability, performance ability, right personality to be in a band, the correct serious attitude, etc.

Let's put it this way. I've auditioned at lot of players over the years for bands I've been with. Fewer than 10% were right for the job. And that's not even counting all the people who didn't even have the balls to audition. 90% is probably being generous.

• Members

Two way street, there is what you want, and what I want.......doubtful a blues player is going to audition for a pop band, nor would you want him..

That said, I think the audition process starts with song choice, which is the killer of bands that get this wrong....Jim Hendrix languished for years in bands that didn't let him open up...it taught him alot, but he couldn't be 'Jimi' in those bands...

I think if one wanted to be in a band, really bad, he would try to step up...practice and make it...got two friends...one who tried out for Davie Bowie,...another for the Allman Bros...both joke about how nervous they were, and how much they screwed it up...they still play but talk about the 'shot' that they had once....

I guess it's possible to audition have EVH next to you in the waiting room, and your just outclassed...but for the most part...musicians are approached and invited, or find each other, trade some videos and music...come together....

• Members

Two way street, there is what you want, and what I want.......doubtful a blues player is going to audition for a pop band, nor would you want him..

Exactly. It's all about the right fit.

That said, I think the audition process starts with song choice, which is the killer of bands that get this wrong....Jim Hendrix languished for years in bands that didn't let him open up...it taught him alot, but he couldn't be 'Jimi' in those bands...

Jimi Hendrix or Eddie van Halen have no business auditioning for, or playing in, other peoples bands. Cats of that rare caliber start their OWN bands and do the auditioning.

I think if one wanted to be in a band, really bad, he would try to step up...practice and make it...

That's the way you do it. Target yourself for the right gig, then go in and sell yourself. Just like any other job interview.

• Members

Well I think there are more then a few players that need to step out front...but they need to sing, ect...always thought it was interesting that Van Halen WASNT ran by the singer...nor was AC/DC....nor Kiss....

Find your place, hire the band around you..

Saw Austin City Limits Last night...this guy out front wasn't all that great..older dude.....under normal conditions I doubt he would get bar gigs...but this guy in my opinion did exactly what I should probably do..

Surround your self with a whole band of talent..he had back up singers to cover his voice...a lead guitar player and rhythm guitar to cover up his playing...and he did every known break down, vamp, speed up, slow down..ect...it worked...

It was educational....

• Members

Well I think there are more then a few players that need to step out front...but they need to sing, ect...always thought it was interesting that Van Halen WASNT ran by the singer...nor was AC/DC....nor Kiss....

Find your place, hire the band around you..

Now you're starting to get it. Except you don't need to "step out front" and sing to be the leader. It's all about knowing your place.

Saw Austin City Limits Last night...this guy out front wasn't all that great..older dude.....under normal conditions I doubt he would get bar gigs...but this guy in my opinion did exactly what I should probably do..

Surround your self with a whole band of talent..he had back up singers to cover his voice...a lead guitar player and rhythm guitar to cover up his playing...and he did every known break down, vamp, speed up, slow down..ect...it worked...

It was educational....

Yep. Again, it's about knowing your place. And that starts with knowing EXACTLY how good you ARE and maybe even more importantly--how good you ARE NOT.

The best players know when NOT to play and know how to play within their limitations. Even a cat like Eddie van Halen probably has all sorts of things he can't do well. But you don't really know what they are because he's smart enough to know NOT to do them.

• Members

As obvious as this sounds...amazing that I have friends that keep pulling off songs that don't work...and he still plays it...blaming the 'night', the venue, ect ect...I left a band because of this..the guy couldn't grow...he's stuck...you gotta run like hell from people who make you play crappy music with them, in a fog that it's working, as people are walking out....

But that's life...you got people that are 900 lbs and don't think they are unhealth...anorexics that are 80lbs still trying to lose weight...to a less extreme, more then a few musicians are really disconnected from the audience..

So being good or bad, in this or that music....playing the right or wrong instrument....I think more then a few players would be served by looking out onto an empty or full dancefloor and try to remember what worked or didn't.

I'm moving forward personally.....so it pains me to see people that can't evolve.

• Members

From the age of fourteen to my present age, forty eight, I have always taken pretty much every paid gig that came my way whether I got it myself or somebody offered it to me. And it has never really mattered all that much what kind of music it was. If I was mentally able to wrap my head around it and have the skills to play the parts I could do it. At the present time I am pretty comfortable playing just about anything that a band leader wants me to play. Show me the gigs and I will play the music.

Archived