Instrumentals

6StringSling

• Members

This year I'm adding some instrumentals to the Guitaraoke set, partly to fill up dead spots when no one is in the room and partly because, for whatever reason, people just want to watch me play.

I'm pretty good at choosing songs to play that people recognize and want to sing but I'm kind of stumped on instrumentals; what will people sit still for?

Right now I play Jessica (The Allman Brothers Band) and others that I'm working on include:

Jerry's Breakdown (Jerry Reed)

Cliffs of Dover (Eric Johnson)

Song for George (Eric Johnson)

Friends (Joe Satriani)

Satch Boogie (Joe Satriani)

Warm Regards (Steve Vai)

The Crying Machine (Steve Vai)

I'm also thinking about Twin Six Shooters (Doyle Dykes).

The one I'm kind of wondering about though is In Memory of Elizabeth Reed (The Allman Brothers Band). Besides the fact that it's over seven minutes long, there's something about it that feels to me like Carlos Santana meets Impromptu Jazz and, while I personally like the song, I'm not sure if it's the kind of instrumental that has the kind of riff, melody, catchiness, whatever, to hold the attention of most people.

So have/do any of you guys play it? If so, what's the reaction?

• Members

Well... I don't know... partly because unless you're playing infront of a bunch of fellow musicians there's not many guitar oriented instrumentals that I think the general public will recognize. That doesn't mean the songs above are great songs... but aside from "Jessica" and "Cliffs of Dover" (and even that is stretching it) I can't imagine that anyone will recognize those songs. Again that doesn't mean they won't enjoy them.

I think you could be creative here... I'm not sure how you have you're guitar-karaokee setup but here's a short list of tunes I think people would recognize and have fun with.

Eruption - Van Halen

Surfing With The Alien - Joe Satriani

Hocus Pocus - Gary Hoey

battle without honor or humanity-hotei tomoyasun (Kill Bill)

Lots of surf... The Ventures... Dick Dale (Love that stuff)

• Members

I'd definitely include "Cliffs Of Dover." It sounds great, even though a lot of people probably haven't heard it before. Then again, I'm sure it is played a lot on satellite radio (either on Sirius or the music channels on digital cable and satellite service). Plus, it's a great workout for your chops.

"Surfing With The Alien" is another great choice. That one has a lot of energy to it and you might even get some people to dance to it too. I'm thinking of working that one up for a future two-guitar band I'm going to form.

• Members

This year I'm adding some instrumentals to the Guitaraoke set, partly to fill up dead spots when no one is in the room and partly because, for whatever reason,
people just want to watch me play.

?

Hey,

PLEASE don't take this as an insult or a question of your abilities. Are you sure that people who aren't musician's would like this? I mean, if they're at the bar to sing along then they probably will hum or sing along in their seats when someone else is up but they can't do this when you're playing an instrumental.

Anyway, just a suggestion and not an insult.

`

• Members

You might be surprised. I've done hundreds of gigs with barely a note sung at all, and when we do sing, it's a nice change for the audience. Ever see Roy Buchanan? The guy killed. I've never sung a note at a few hundred solo gigs. If you engage the audience, you can do well without singing IME. That leads to the question of what will engage an audience, and that really depends on who they are, where your playing, what they expect, your sound and skill, etc. Obviously, Satch sold a lot of records and got airplay, so plenty of people know his stuff. Eric J. maybe not quite as much, but when you start talking about music in general, there are hundreds of tunes, from movie themes to classical tunes, to folk tunes, that people know. Then there is ethnic stuff, that although may not be familiar, may contain a sound or technique that is appealing to a general audience.

There are hundreds of solo players that make a living playing nothing but instrumental music. Granted, they are not playing bars where you normally have cover bands who are intended to make people dance and drink, but they are usually making more money than the cover band guys, and controlling every aspect of their presentation. I've played in bands and i've played solo, both have their advantages and challenges. The OP has his gig where he features his playing, and people get up and sing. If he can do a good job with a Satch tune, he will have success. We have brought down the house with Santana tunes like europa and sampa pa ti, as well as with original instrumental tunes. As to the question of the Allman's, IMO, they are a win. If you play the stuff well, with good tone, and with heart, you will reach people. I've seen it too many times to doubt it.

Hey,

PLEASE don't take this as an insult or a question of your abilities. Are you sure that people who aren't musician's would like this? I mean, if they're at the bar to sing along then they probably will hum or sing along in their seats when someone else is up but they can't do this when you're playing an instrumental.

Anyway, just a suggestion and not an insult.

`

• Members

How about a medley of TV themes? Say, Hill St. Blues, Sanford and Son, Mission Impossible, Hawai 5-0, "Nick at Night" type stuff (sorry if these picks betray my stuck-in-the-80's-ness). Throw in Star Wars, too.

I'm a dried-up old cocktail piano guy (although I do alot of of non-cocktail material) and I can vouch for that people appreciate instrumentals.

• Members

I think plenty of non-musicians would be entertained by "Jerry's Breakdown".

If you can pull that off, you've got my utmost respect dude.

IMO the electric instrumentals won't go over as well for a general audience. YMMV and all that jazz.

What about Roy Clark's version of "Malaguena"?

• Members

How about a medley of TV themes? Say, Hill St. Blues, Sanford and Son, Mission Impossible, Hawai 5-0, "Nick at Night" type stuff (sorry if these picks betray my stuck-in-the-80's-ness). Throw in Star Wars, too.

That's funny. Just a couple of weeks while tuning up for a song I busted out Batman which got a good laugh. And just last month I told the KJ I was going to start doing some old TV themes for a joke starting with Star Trek.

• Members

I think plenty of non-musicians would be entertained by "Jerry's Breakdown".

If you can pull that off, you've got my utmost respect dude.

I used play banjo over 30 years ago so I don't see the song as being overly difficult to pull of. I plan on using my SX Tele copy. I was going to use the hollowbody since JR almost always played an acoustic but check this out:

[video=youtube;7Hx_zbpPbOU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hx_zbpPbOU&feature=related

I do believe that's a Peavey T-60 he's playing - my very first electric guitar. And he's playing with Roy Clark who was my inspiration to learn the banjo.

• Members

When people whom I've never seen before call out things like "Forget Karaoke, I want to watch that guy play!" which happens a few times a month, I get the impression that sometimes people just want to watch me play.

point taken, like I said, no insult intended.

• Members

If you are going the Jerry Reed route, why not his version of City of New Orleans?

Do a search for this guy on you tube and pick one:

Sungha Jung

but be prepared for overwhelming feelings of turning your guitar into firewood afterwards :D

Archived