Would a potential bandmates religion or lack thereof make you not want to...

New Trail

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, there's no room for morals or beliefs in a band.
:rolleyes:

:facepalm:

You know, I had written my honest feelings into a response back to you, but I'm not about to get into a pissing match with someone who's apparently close-minded about things outside his own personal belief system.

Suffice it to say, I've got plenty of morals and beliefs, and not a single damn one of them have a thing to do with RELIGION.

Religion doesn't 'own' the concepts of right and wrong.

• Members

As I said before, it's all about respect. I would only share my faith with someone who is interested in hearing about it. I never attempt to shove it down anyone's throat. In my faith, we agree we're not perfect or without fault, therefore,
judging others isn't something I do.
I may not agree with the way someone behaves, but
it's not my business to "correct" them

One could easily get an entirely different opinion of you based on your responses above back to DukeofBoom.

Just pointing out that it's real easy to say something, but actions speak louder, etc. etc.

• Members

I've been playing with the same 4 guys for 8 years now... 10-20 hours per week with rehearsals, gigs etc... and I don't know their religion or where they politically stand. I do know our singer is a vegetarian and our bassist like big boobs. That's the extend of how deep we get.

• Members

I've been playing with the same 4 guys for 8 years now... 10-20 hours per week with rehearsals, gigs etc... and I don't know their religion or where they politically stand. I do know our singer is a vegetarian and our bassist like big boobs. That's the extend of how deep we get.

:thu:

• Members

This describes my drummer and me, and we've been playing together for almost 17 years. Furthermore, his wife of 31 years, who was awaiting a transplant for liver and kidneys, just passed away Sunday night.
:cry:

That's terrible, BlueStrat. Very sad news. My condolences as well.

• Members

Fair enough. But you're taking my statement out of context. To be clear, for example, in my faith, we accept that having sex with another man's wife is wrong. But I'm not going to go around hassling those who do that, because their belief system is different than mine. So when I say I don't judge others or correct them, I'm referring
SPECIFICALLY
to the tenets of MY faith. But intolerance and prejudice are not accepted social behavior, and are not faith based. And aren't those who say
ALL
"born agains" are nuts, off their rockers or whatever, also judging others. And not just judging those they actually know (which I would be okay with ), but an entire group that they do not know and have never met or spoken to, based on their limited experience. Would you do that regarding race as well ? Why is it okay for you atheists or agnostics to trash the faith of others, then cry foul when someone points out that is intolerant. We all "judge" to a certain degree. One needs to decide ( make a judgement ) about most things they encounter everyday. It's not the same when one critisizes entire groups of people based only on their limited personal experience. That's the same as saying all people of "blank" color are criminals, or lazy, or greedy, or stupid, or any other derogatory term you may want to say. That is being prejudiced in my book. I know you can understand the difference. If not, well, then, what can one say ?

I don't see what's wrong with judging others. Everyone does it. It's a scientific fact that first impressions are formed within 15 seconds of meeting someone, and those first impressions shape how you view that person for years and years. It's generally considered impolite to say that you judge someone, but that fact remains is - whether you admit it or not - you are judging everyone.

In summation, anyone who thinks that they take the moral high ground - or that ethics/morals is on their side - is usually a POS. They rationalize and justify their behavior in any number of ways, and they truly believe that they are morally right in every circumstance. Sure, there are agnostics/atheists who believe that Kantian ethics is on their side or whatever. But overwhelmingly, this "high-ground morality" forms the essence of born-agains and other fundamentalists. Being moral is fine, but - as I just mentioned - these characters have a tendency to justify even the most decrepit, inhumane stuff possible in ambiguous moral terms (or just ask for forgiveness, and all that will be forgotten).

Also, based upon the "do as I say, not as I do" discrepancy that kmart pointed out previously, I'd say that badhabit fits into this mold quite nicely.

• Members

They rationalize and justify their behavior in any number of ways, and
they truly believe that they are morally right in every circumstance

What a crock of crap. It's a straw man argument. I don't know a single person who's ever thought they were 'morally right in every circumstance', and I've known a lot of them in all my years. In fact, most of the Christians I know are painfully aware of their shortcomings and how they don't measure up. I don't know any that focus on the shortcomings of unbelievers. Not saying they don't exist, just that I've never known any.

But overwhelmingly, this "high-ground morality" forms the essence of born-agains and other fundamentalists.

Again, a complete crock.

Truly born-again Christians know that they are sinners saved by grace and that it doesn't come from them. The high ground, moral or otherwise, is God's, not theirs. You have a Hollywood/ cartoon version of what a BAC is. But if it makes you comfortable to shove everyone into a narrow little box, I suppose that's your prerogative.

(or just ask for forgiveness, and all that will be forgotten)

Actually, you left out repentence, which is turning away from the bad behavior in order to receive forgiveness.

Also, based upon the "do as I say, not as I do" discrepancy that kmart pointed out previously, I'd say that badhabit fits into this mold quite nicely.

Now you're just being argumentative and trolling.

How's that for a judgment?

• Members

Fair enough. But you're taking my statement out of context. To be clear, for example, in my faith, we accept that having sex with another man's wife is wrong. But I'm not going to go around hassling those who do that, because their belief system is different than mine. So when I say I don't judge others or correct them, I'm referring
SPECIFICALLY
to the tenets of MY faith. But intolerance and prejudice are not accepted social behavior, and are not faith based. And aren't those who say
ALL
"born agains" are nuts, off their rockers or whatever, also judging others. And not just judging those they actually know (which I would be okay with ), but an entire group that they do not know and have never met or spoken to, based on their limited experience. Would you do that regarding race as well ? Why is it okay for you atheists or agnostics to trash the faith of others, then cry foul when someone points out that is intolerant. We all "judge" to a certain degree. One needs to decide ( make a judgement ) about most things they encounter everyday. It's not the same when one critisizes entire groups of people based only on their limited personal experience. That's the same as saying all people of "blank" color are criminals, or lazy, or greedy, or stupid, or any other derogatory term you may want to say. That is being prejudiced in my book. I know you can understand the difference. If not, well, then, what can one say ?

1) So you're saying you DO judge others, just not those who share your faith on the principles of that faith? Well...then so what?

2) Note I didn't say anything about DukeofBoom judging others because he never claimed not to...the whole point was that you posted about not judging others, when you actually had in your previous posts...but I guess that doesn't matter given #1 above...Just thought it was a prime example of what I see from a lot of strongly/outwardly religious people: "Do as I say, not as I do" behavior.

Again, not trying to make any statements of fact here, just noting the perception that could be taken.

• Members

How's that for a judgment?

I think you're full of it. Or living in your own little reality rather than the worldly reality full of all these delightful personalities.

I don't see why are all up on my nuts.

If you want to be friends with every goddamn born-again out there, by all means do so.

I, on the other hand, will not be friends with them or you.

• Members

At our old rehearsal shed, we had a sign on the door that read:

"NO EGOS, PSYCHOANALYSIS, RELIGIOUS PROSELYTISING, OR POLITICAL DEBATING BEYOND THIS POINT"

I like that, but based on a rather unpleasant band I was with a couple years ago, I would add . . . NO RACISM OR SEXISM.

I couldn't believe some of the crap I was hearing on a weekly basis.

• Members

I really do believe that most people are {censored}ing cowards on these topics, though. I love to talk about it. I love to be challenged. No one ever wants to play, though...and when they do, they take the {censored} way too personally. In many cases I've experienced, it's because deep down they really haven't spent enough time thinking about those issues to have positions they can support with evidence or sound reason. They haven't used enough intellectual rigor in their attempts at understanding their own beliefs, so their positions feel indefensible and create insecurity (and lead to them taking it personally). So even though I find it fun, I rarely get in discussions with people about political or religious stuff. Like I said before, I don't discuss it unless someone else brings it up. Really, though, it ends up being not worth it, but that's really bull{censored}...we should have the critical thinking and reasoning abilities to handle talking about everything we think about and challenging our beliefs.

Brian V.

well said. nothing pisses me off more than someone who starts a discussion about religion or politics or whatever, actually, but then gets all pissy when my viewpoint hurts their feelings. sorry but if you don't like people telling you your beliefs are stupid, either stop believing in stupid things or come up with a better argument to support it. i happen to LIKE talking about these things, too, but i understand that some people get scared about stuff that has no simple answer, so i don't go around starting these kind of discussions. the only thing worse is when someone says 'let's agree to disagree' in order to back out of an argument as soon as they realize they're getting roasted.

Archived