"The Voice"

• Members

Anybody watch this show last night?

I give them kudos for, at least, trying to come up with a way to get out of the tired "American Idol" format that a hundred different shows have copied.

And THIS guy was stellar (caution--there might be a commercial before the video starts):

http://www.nbc.com/the-voice//video/Javier-Colon-Audition-Time-After-Time/1322703

Also reminded me what a GREAT song that is.

• Members

That dude killed it. I watched it be cause I like the judges and format...once they pick their teams, I don't know if it'll hold my interest. But if they keep having the judges perform together and bring on some other cool acts, I'd stick around just for the arrangements and such.

The intro performance was way cool, but Christina riffs too much.

• Members

I have a friend who's being shown on the promo for the show. I think he's singing the Cee-Lo song. Don't think he was on the program last night, but watch for him. Nakia, formerly of Ft. Payne, AL, now residing in Austin, TX.

jamieb

+++++

• Members

The Voice blows away American Idol. I've never been really impressed with the singers on AI....The Voice had great singing from almost everybody who was on.

Yeah.. but the people on Idol are just off the street.. the people on "The Voice" are all professional or semi-pro vocalists. Of course they're going to be better singers!

• Members

Yeah.. but the people on Idol are just off the street.. the people on "The Voice" are all professional or semi-pro vocalists. Of course they're going to be better singers!

This. If they were to have an AI-like audition process based solely on the voice, then it'd be a really cool show. But I'm so damn sick of Idol, I'm happy there's something different to watch anyway.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I've watched bits and pieces. I watched about the first hour last night. (I'm old and can't stay up much past 10 on non-gig nights anymore.....)

Yeah, I think it will be one of those two for sure. They are the best two anyway. The other two are cute though. I would either one.

And how the {censored} did Carson Daly ever get a job in broadcasting, though? The guy is boring as toast and has zero ability to handle a live broadcast well. He looks like he snuck out of rehab or something. Never thought I'd be giving props to Ryan Seacrest for much of anything, but Daly might want to watch some American Idol reruns to see how the job is supposed to be done.

• Members

Outstanding. I blew this show off as another American Idol garbage wanna be...if there are performances like that on a regular basis it might actually be worth watching.

EDIT: just saw this and now realize the thing ends tonight. Doh!

• Members

I have to admit this show was a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. Am glad it was Javier as that guy is in a league unto himself, as good as some of those other singers are none of them really held a candle to him. And just like Idol I am sure there will be plenty of other careers launched for the runner ups.

• Members

The right guy won. I hope Javier fuses rock R&B in a really cool singer-songwriter way and is a big star. And he loses the hat...
:)
Brian V.

From what I read, they want to get him away from rock as fast as possible. There just isn't any money in it for the record companies right now.

• Members

1) I hate music competitions of all kinds. Speshilly the ones on t.v.. But I do recognize their promotional value. Evil necessity.

2) This guy is a pro. Played big stages. Got miles.

3) And why do people go all goo goo when a singer does a roll? It is almost as stupid as guitarists going all goo goo when someone fingertaps some triplets. Total double standard.

4) I hate double standards

Post looks kinda grumpy and cynical, dunnit?

• Members

1) I hate music competitions of all kinds. Speshilly the ones on t.v.. But I do recognize their promotional value. Evil necessity.

The entire music industry is a music competition.

2) This guy is a pro. Played big stages. Got miles.

True...and he still beat everyone else who also had a lot of the same experiences.

3) And why do people go all goo goo when a singer does a roll? It is almost as stupid as guitarists going all goo goo when someone fingertaps some triplets. Total double standard.

I hate that, too. Or when people go ape{censored} just because someone can scream a high note. It's not that big a deal!

4) I hate double standards

With you on this one...

Post looks kinda grumpy and cynical, dunnit?

When are you not? ;) :poke:

Brian V.

Archived