I LOVE When People Try To Help.... (sarcasm)

• Members

People mean well... the intentions are usually in the right place. Nothing amuses me more then when people try to help you run the business. When your in a band and they aren't most want to just feel like they are a part of it. With the calendar full 6-8 months in advance, the ceiling of nightclub pay you pretty much have things under control. So it's pretty funny when people go out of their way to help/suggest where you should book.

This is just an average week of feedback from our Facebook page. And the replies I would love to give...

I thought I would pass this on to you guys......The Paramount Theater

Any local bands interested in opening for OTEP on June 11th?

DESIRED REPLY: Suuuuuuuuuure "Sweet Caroline" and "Blood Pigs" are a perfect compliment to each other.

Would love to see you guys play @ Poor Johnny's in P'town.I know the owner and I can get you in.

DESIRED REPLY: Yes... a bar who's interiors match the name on the exterior and has the square footage of a velveeta box is a great room for us to book... but after we set up where is the room for the patrons?

My cousin has just opened a restuarnt in Westchester and is looking for bands. I mentioned you guys and he may call you. He can't offer money but he did say he would throw in a free spaggetti dinner and beer.

DESIRED REPLY: Um yea.... we'll take 112 free dinners to go and we still expect the free bar tab.

You Guys ROCK... can I jam with you sometime

DESIRED REPLY: YUP sure we don't know what you play or even if you have any band experience. Even the pictures in your profile don't show a single picture of you playing or doing anything musical. Sure come out... we'll jam to straight thru the next Armageddon.

And this was a real exchange... no lie:

Fundraiser? I am a coach with a Youth soccer travel program and I am wondering about having you guys do a fundraiser for my girls team.

Real Response:

Not sure if anyone got back with you. Sorry for the delay. Steve H. is our manager and the best guy to approach with something like this. Please be aware we get hit with offers to play benefits almost weekly, so we often have to turn them down. Most conflict with our gig schedule (which is already booking through the spring 2012). We always love to support when we can...but it works out best when we can do it in conjunction with a night we're already playing. In the past we've done Toys For Tots, Benefits for individuals and The American Cancer Society at show's and venues we're already booked at.

As I said Steve handles all scheduling and negotiations on behalf of the band. His contact info is . He can give the best insight into rooms that are 'benefit friendly'

Real Reply:

Yeah... we were hoping you could play an event that we host. Question: instead could your band make a donation to our team after your show this weekend We would appreciate anything your band could give to help us. You guys are awesome and one of the best in the tri county area.

They ask for door #1... you provide door number two and they say "nahhhhh, can you just give us money instead?" :facepalm:

This is just an average week or two... :eek:

• Members

We, too, have gotten odd requests and random requests. I really don't think people have a clue the amount of time and work goes into a band. We get asked probably monthly about playing a house party. And the negotiations go the same

Can you play my party?

Sure, make sure you have adequate power, something covering the "stage area" somewhat easy load in. We also provide DJ in between sets blah blah. We charge $XXX for this service.

Oh I was thinking more along the lines of $200 and all the food and beer you want.

We do not drink very much while we're working. No, we can't "help you out"

• Members

I recently got a kinda angry voicemail on my cell phone from a lady organizing a benefit. I wish I kept it but I didn't. Some of the highlights include:

I am sick and tired of feeling like the low man on the totem pole!

We always get blown off by bands in favor of things like cancer benefits!

We are trying to raise money for veterans, isn't that a good enough cause? I guess not!

I checked your website and you don't have august 20th listed so I know you are free that day to play for us!

:facepalm: I still don't know how she got my number. It isn't on the contact info for the band.

• Members

My favorite line is when somebody wants us to work for cheap at a well-known venue by saying, "It'll be good exposure."

My comeback line (that I learned from another poster on this forum) is always, "You know, you can die from exposure."

• Members

I thought I would pass this on to you guys......The Paramount Theater

Any local bands interested in opening for OTEP on June 11th?

DESIRED REPLY: Suuuuuuuuuure "Sweet Caroline" and "Blood Pigs" are a perfect compliment to each other.

I would LOVE to see that show!

• Members

I recently got a kinda angry voicemail on my cell phone from a lady organizing a benefit. I wish I kept it but I didn't. Some of the highlights include:

I am sick and tired of feeling like the low man on the totem pole!

We always get blown off by bands in favor of things like cancer benefits!

We are trying to raise money for veterans, isn't that a good enough cause? I guess not!

I checked your website and you don't have august 20th listed so I know you are free that day to play for us!

:facepalm:
I still don't know how she got my number. It isn't on the contact info for the band.

It's the bands that are the low man on the totem pole. I'm sure the caterer us getting paid, rental us being paid for the hall etc etc. I don't know why they expect us to drag in 20k+ worth of gear, and our time for free.

If it's not someone I personally know, forget it. I'll pay my 5 bucks, attend the event, and support it that way. That being said, we did to one charity gig this year. A fundraiser for a lifelong Kin member and real fixture of the community. Known by us all, would give the shirt off his back to anyone in need.

He had cancer and little money for medical bills. The town rallied and put together a fundraiser. He ended up passing the week before, so it became a memorial fundraiser, to help with funeral costs etc etc.

In that case, it was an honor, with no questions asked.

:thu:

• Members

My favorite line is when somebody wants us to work for cheap at a well-known venue by saying, "It'll be good exposure."

My comeback line (that I learned from another poster on this forum) is always, "You know, you can die from exposure."

My dad did. I'll have to use that.

• Members

I couldn't tell you how many drunk guys, and a few drunk girls come up during or after a set and sluringly say "I know all the words to such and such I should be you lead singer"

I'm the singer so it kinda makes me wanna punch'em.

• Members

It could be worse.

Your Facebook page could look like this:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------end of page----------------------------------------

• Members

It could be worse.

Your Facebook page could look like this:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------end of page----------------------------------------

You've seen our facebook page I take it....

• Members

How about "My brother's band is coming into town in the middle of July. Can they play a show with you guys? I see you don't have anything scheduled so maybe you can play Venue X and they could open up for you?"

So let me see...

1) You want us to book the show and provide the PA.

2) You want it to be at Venue X - where they don't pay even 25% of what we usually make - and in a town where we don't have a following - to a built-in crowd that doesn't exist.

3) Your brother's band plays originals.... prog rock originals...

Hmmmm... :idk:

• Members

How about "My brother's band is coming into town in the middle of July. Can they play a show with you guys? I see you don't have anything scheduled so maybe you can play Venue X and they could open up for you?"

So let me see...

1) You want us to book the show and provide the PA.

2) You want it to be at Venue X - where they don't pay even 25% of what we usually make - and in a town where we don't have a following - to a built-in crowd that doesn't exist.

3) Your brother's band plays originals.... prog rock originals...

Hmmmm...
:idk:

:idea:

What could go wrong!!

:love:

• Members

It's the bands that are the low man on the totem pole. I'm sure the caterer us getting paid, rental us being paid for the hall etc etc. I don't know why they expect us to drag in 20k+ worth of gear, and our time for free.

we have given our time for many causes over the 8+ years but a nasty voicemail (cuz other bands said no) is NOT the way to make us do something for free. I have no idea why this lady was nasty in the 1st place! I never talked to her before or anyone from this benefit organization. :idk:

• Members

I don't mind being asked - regardless of how ridiculous the request or how clueless the requestor might be. To be honest - I'm usually somewhat flattered that they asked (especially when it's clear they really feel they're offering me a "win / win" situation) and greatful that I'm in a position that I can simply say "Sorry, it just won't work for us - but thank you for thinking of us!". For the most part - it's painless (for me anyway!) - and there are always those rare instances when they truely are offering a "win / win" situation. Worst case, I come away from the conversation with something to share with my bandmates for a good chuckle at the next rehearsal.

• Members

I got a call from a member of a band I know the other day and he had a great idea! His band would SHARE the night with us at our next gig cuz they hand the dates mixed up and actually lost a gig the next day at another club. They wanted to make one up by splitting it with us! how can we say no to that? they were helping us cuz they would Bring a ton of people! :lol:

• Members

People who do not play in bands have NO {censored}ING CLUE...

I was asked if my band would play a barbq/birthday party by a friend...

I told them the price (I cut 1/5th out as I was willing to do it for free)

Friend was mad I was charging her, like I could MAKE the other 4 members play for free...we ended up doing it

Ive had miley cyrus, taylor swift, and other songs requested at hard rock gigs, by serious people...who cant understand why the 5 of us dont know every song ever recorded

i cant even count how many times there was almost an altercation because the band wouldnt let a bunch of roudy/drunken aholes get their kid up on stage to play harmonica, tambourine, or sing...you explain to them that there are other people in the bar besides them who might not want to hear your kids version on tambourine...

oh and dont get me started on "we cant pay much, but all the free food and drink" you want...I asked if it was ok if we took a break after each song to eat a helping of their slop, and shotgun some beers...they got the hint

the best is the drunks who dont understand why they cant put their beers on your $1000+ twin, or pick up your guitar on breaks and show you how much better they are

• Members

I'm pretty laid back, so I don't get all worked up about crazy requests, etc. from audience members. A couple random thoughts

1. We get requests from bands of college kids that want to open for us. For me this is an easy one to answer... "Honestly, I'd have no problem with this, but the venues we play would generally balk at the idea". Problem solved.

2. I had a tipsy dude come up to me at one of our last shows saying he was a booking agent and he really liked us and wanted to maybe work with us. I was polite and gave him our card, but in the back of my head was thinking "yeah, whatever". Well dude called me the next day and said he had a club that was about 4 hours away that had a date available and wanted to know if we were available and what we'd charge to go there. Well I talked to the band and we upped our price a good deal and told him we needed 2 rooms. Guy called me back two days later and dammit if he didn't book the gig.

So... Be nice, even when you think they're crazy!

Archived