chicago rocked the 60s 1/3

TIMKEYS

• Members

Awesome!!! Keep 'em coming.

Yea i thought it was pretty cool. I was playing in the south bend indiana market in teen bands when this whole thing they are talking about was going down. We covered alot of bands they were talking about and I have seen all of them live at shows. As you can see ,, chicago produced a ton of really talented bands. These bands were young.. and they could really sing. We covered alot of cryan shames and buckinghams, ides, and chicago with our 7 piece with horns.

• Members

I grew up a huge fan of Chicago. I also saw The Ides of March and American Breed play at a couple of my sister's high school dances in the late 60's and early 70's.

we covered more blood sweat and tears than chicago , but we covered some chicago too. back then you had arrived in the teen band scene when you could cover cryan shames and cut the harmony. Of the non horn bands ,,, the shames were the top dogs. The thing about the 60s that alot of people dont understand is how young these bands were and the musical skill sets they had. Hell the only thing that can measure up to cryan shames harmony these days is some of the modern country. Its hard for alot of band guys now days to imagine high school kids nailing tight 3 and 4 part harmony like those groups did. The one eyed jacks were a great band too. They never hit ,, but they were really a solid show.

• Members

Geez - We did alot of the Cryan Shames back in my HS days. We worked on the harmonies while traveling on our converted yellow bus to gigs. I still listen to some of their cuts on my ipod. Fun stuff.

Mike

• Members

Geez - We did alot of the Cryan Shames back in my HS days. We worked on the harmonies while traveling on our converted yellow bus to gigs. I still listen to some of their cuts on my ipod. Fun stuff.

Mike

where ya from? Ever get to see them live? We did quite a bit of their stuff too. I would guess you guys were all over the hollies and the byrds too. Our guitar player walked into practice with a new guitar case one day. Inside ,, a rick 12 string. omg lol

• Members

The Buckinghams had some genuinely good pop tunes. I loved them.

They they were a great band. I lived up in the great lakes region and got to see them live. We did alot of their stuff in the late 60s. That stuff was right down our ally with horns and solid harmony. Mercy mercy mercy was our opening song for the whole time we had that band together. The one point that the guy was spot on with was that ,, after 1970 music took a major change. If you listen to most of that stuff on those vid clips , there was not much in the way of lead guitar. It was all rhythm and vocal based music. we have a big fan base of winter texans from the great lakes region. I would like to add a couple buckingham songs for the winter season. It would kill with that crowd.

• Moderators

They they were a great band.

Yeah. I never really got the Beatles connection other than the guys sort of playing up some obvious gimmick things. The Union Jack and the Hofner bass. They were more Box Tops...

[video=youtube;a9YamMiqQ0I]

• Members

How old are you? were you old enough to have really witnessed the british invasion when it came to rock music? The brit groups were the competition,,, and they were the driving factor in the garage band revolution. You saw pretty much every rock act there was go pretty much tits up after the beatles hit. I was a freshman the fall of 65. Mod had hit everything. wide belts , bell bottoms , paisley shirts , P coats. American teens were under a very heavy influence by the brits and the bands that came here. Some bands took names that sounded british, and others chose names to reflect an anti brit theme. Paul Revere and the Raiders is a great example of an anti brit invasion band. Our bass player had a violin bass,, our guitar player had a rick 12 string, I had a vox organ. We did play through fender black face amps. 66 to 70 was a great time for rock and roll in the US.

• Members

where ya from? Ever get to see them live? We did quite a bit of their stuff too. I would guess you guys were all over the hollies and the byrds too. Our guitar player walked into practice with a new guitar case one day. Inside ,, a rick 12 string. omg lol

I lived in Green Bay - you may have heard of it - We worked lots of harmonies but migrated to blues such as Butterfield, Electric Flag. I left the band about that time to due my duty to Uncle Sam. I never did see them live but sure got to see lots of cool acts in the 60s.

I also bought a rick12 in late 68....I miss it. It was a PIA to string and keep in tune but sure sounded cooooool. I have a Jay Turser 12 now that has a nice full sound but not like the Rick. I know they were strung opposite mine and with a little work on the nut and pickups, many say I can get the same sound but I don't play anymore. Unfortunately, it's been 3 years since my last gig.

Those days last forever though.........

Mike

• Members

Growing up in Chicago we always heard Cryan Shames, The Buckinghams, The Shadows of Knight (GLORIA), New Colony 6, and later Styx and Off Broadway. We have actually opened for The Buckinghams and The Shadows of Knight. When we opened up Excalibur we were the first band that played when the club opened to the public. We started at midnight after a private opening party that featured Jonathan Brandmier and the Leisure Suits and the Buckinghams. So technically (in my mind) those two acts opened for us. While we were at Excalibur, one of the other bands (Maroons) drummer was from the New Colony Six. We also had Muddy Waters come and sit in when we played The Shipyard in Westmont, IL where Muddy Waters lived at the time.

Chicago had (and has) a great live music scene but I miss sitting in Kingston Mines listening to some of the greatest blues ever performed.

• Moderators

How old are you? were you old enough to have really witnessed the british invasion when it came to rock music? The brit groups were the competition...

I'm 51, so I just missed this era. I was pretty young. I do understand the significance if the Union Jack and the Beatle bass. My point about the Buckinghams is that they were conspicuously on a different track from the Beatles. They were tapping soul a lot more. Just making an observation with 20/20 hindsight.

• Members

I'm 51, so I just missed this era. I was pretty young. I do understand the significance if the Union Jack and the Beatle bass. My point about the Buckinghams is that they were conspicuously on a different track from the Beatles. They were tapping soul a lot more. Just making an observation with 20/20 hindsight.

well ,, I understand where you are comming from, but you have to remember that guys their age and my age were influenced by the I wanna hold your hand beatles and alot of other forces. They had the chicago blues scene with horn in bands, and they had the other brit groups. I would guess when you think of the beatles ,, you look to the white album and sgt peppers. Alot of guys my ate didnt really like that direction due to the fact that we had already had a vision of who the beatles were in our minds and the radical change didnt sit well. as they said in the vid.. music took a major change at the end of the 60 and 1970. lead guitar move to the for front with the heavy groups ,, and then country crossoever came in. 64 to 70 was an era of its own,,, that was followed by major change.

• Members

Great Stuff! Thanks for posting! I remember years ago listening to WLS and Dick Biondi and I remember all those bands and songs. We thought those guys were just as famous as anyone because we heard 'em on WLS! Cool!

Yea ,, the music business was a little different then. the local radio jock could make a band in those days. The buckinghams went on to go national and I think the new colony 6 were also. the rest were regional bands. those chicago bands were a huge influence for us in the south bend are. the cryan shames were are rock stars for sure. WLS had a huge coverage area ,, they had a very powerfull signal. then things went FM.

• Members

Thanks for the great posts! Awesome stuff!

Rod

thanks ,,, I just kinda stumbled on it web surfing. I figures there would be some guys on here that would get a kick out of it. It was the best thing I have seen that really put the 60s garage band thing into perspective when it comes to the great lakes scene. There were so many great young bands back then , that it would take hours to list them all. Kids were real serious about bands and music back then.

• Members

This is a reminder of my HS and college days, and as you might expect, I played several songs of that genre when they came out, but honestly, I never really liked the style. I can appreciate the harmony, but it reminds me of a song by Mose Allison . . . "I'm just a middle class white boy trying to have some fun. . . . "

I like music with a stronger rhythm - more R&R/R&B; less pop. . . . more of an edge.

Maybe it hits too close to home.

I saw CTA at a tech school cafeteria . . . thought they were terrific.

Archived