Had enough! No more smoke filled gigs for me!

summit111

• Members

I was so glad when this kicked in. So were a lot of bar owners I know. Many were just as tired as I was spending hours breathing second-hand smoke and arriving home smelling like an ashtray.

There were a few particularly bad places I had stopped playing altogether.

+1 Me too! In the past 12 years I've moved from California (which I think was the first state to have the ban) to Florida, which put the ban in place about a year after we arrived, to NC; which also put the pan in place about a year after we arrived.

• Members

Minnesota went smoke free a few years back. I was SO happy. I quit smoking 20 years ago. Before the smoking ban, I'd come home from a gig, immediately dump my clothes in the laundry room, and take a shower before I went to bed. Otherwise, my wife (she's never smoked) would get an instant headache from the stench.

It took Wisconsin a couple of years to follow suit, and we'd play gigs over the border on occasion. It was horrible. As others have said, I'd get sick from a weekend of breathing smoke-filled air.

The fact I can keep my stage gear in the house because it doesn't smell is a big plus for me. I set my gear up in my practice room now and I put in more playing time than I did in the past few years. Haven't noticed any appreciable improvement in my playing yet, but you can't have everything...

• Members

My Brothers,

Last night, I played a dance gig with a local dance band at a smoke filled bar. I've officially had it! No more smoke for me. My equipment, clothes, and most importantly my lungs were exposed to it for the last time. I just spent an hour airing out my gear from last night. I don't need the cash that bad.

My regular jazz and dance bands put a quarantine on smoke filled venues years ago and I'd forgotten how bad it was. Good reminder last night!

Many good music venues in New Orleans are going smoke free because the musicians won't play with smoke all night. I'm boycotting also! What about you?

Colorado has banned smoking in bars. (Two exceptions in the State.) So my cases no longer smell of smoke. (And I'm much happier.)

• Members

as people have mentioned regarding equipment, don't you just love opening up a rack case a week after a gig and getting a blast of stale smoke in your face?

Ah yes! I don't miss THAT smell...

...although it still beats the time I opened it up a week after a mouse had crawled in there and died.

• Members

I've always wondered why so few clubs invest in decent ventilation and smoke-elimination filters. I mean, sure,
it costs money
....but it's not prohibitively expensive, and it makes a huge improvement in terms of atmosphere.

These are the same sorts of folks that balk at playing ASCAP fees, of course.

• Members

I've always wondered why so few clubs invest in decent ventilation and smoke-elimination filters. I mean, sure, it costs money....but it's not prohibitively expensive, and it makes a huge improvement in terms of atmosphere.

Smoke in public places spreads, no matter what-non smoking sections do nothing. It's like establishing a "No Urinating" section of a pool. I work at one of 19 cessation centers in the state. Before that I did counseling helping people quit smoking and there is huge research into this. the new term being Third Hand Smoke. Look it up.

Archived