Some live vid from the other night

• Members

A little sumpn from the other night. This was from our "epic gig" with no crowd - lol. Ain't perfect--not even really demo quality, IMO, but just thought it was fun. At least Steph is fun to watch. We're still getting up to speed on Cowboy. Check it out in HD.

The sound is a board/room mix that I threw together.

[video=youtube;QA2QXGdtzMQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA2QXGdtzMQ

• Members

love the energy and the moves, not polished at all but it was fun. Would rather see your singer dressed in an edgier punk style, the mini is cute but it doesn't give her the ballsy look I prefer for rock. Her vocals are all over the place but heck I'd work with her and I know it's going to get better over time.

• Members

How are you recording your board mix? Is it multitracked?

Just a stereo mix, so we're at the mercy of the sound guy. Luckily he's somewhat attentive and making adjustments throughout most of night, but he can be hit-and-miss. He'll do weird {censored} like boost or cut one of the guitars crazily for no reason then move it back (some examples in this straight-from-the-board turd I tried to polish). My vox were buried most of the night, and my guitar about half the night, but luckily he uses a pretty wide stereo spread so I can somewhat balance things out. My secret weapon is my Zoom H4N which I also use to record the room, then blend with the board recording which helps smooth some things out and give it some life.

• Members

Thanks for the performance feedback guys. Yeah, Steph's strengths are definitely her fun and attitude, and she can get into some trouble on the male songs where she gets close to bottoming out. When she can get some breath behind it, she sounds great. Mick on the other hand is a phenomenal singer, but could work on the stage act a bit (as can the rest of us). But these are all things we're aware of and trying to work on. :thu:

• Members

The guy is reading the lyrics off a MUSIC STAND on cowboy.. he stares at it the whole time. sounds good though.. but either staring at the guitar neck or at the music stand

Yes. And he STILL {censored}s up the lyrics. :lol: One of the "issues" I alluded to above.

• Members

Yes. And he STILL {censored}s up the lyrics.

:lol: Looks like he needs to sing with the record a little more on that bad boy! Have you tried just having 1 guitar going during the verses? We do that a lot so our singer can just concentrate on singing. Then when the solos and choruses come in it livens it up to have him join in.

I agree about the vocals being all over the place on walk this way...something about it just didn't sit right either. I dunno. She definitely has good stage presence though!

Cool arrangement on the 2 tunes though, and nice lead guitar playing. It takes discipline to stay with the record on solos like that when they'd be so easy to improvise on.

Our singer uses a music stand too...but doesn't really read it like that. It's more of a security blanket. As long as your eyes aren't buried in it, I see nothing wrong with using one.

• Members

Yes. And he STILL {censored}s up the lyrics.
:lol:
One of the "issues" I alluded to above.

Some people can read lyrics and others can't. Drives me crazy whenever my bass player resorts to a lyric sheet. Not so much because I don't like the sight of it (which I don't), but I can always IMMEDIATELY tell when he's reading without even looking over because he SOUNDS like he's reading. :facepalm:

How long has he been singing this song? If it's been more than a few times through, odds are you could pull the lyrics away from him and he knows it better than he thinks he does. Most 'readers' just use it as a crutch.

• Members

Sounds like quite a lot of delay on the vocals....too much for tastes.....but the overall sound was good....and your singer looks fun.....i dislike her outfit a lot - but she certainly did draw attention coz she looks like she's having a fun time. WHich was good.

• Members

I used to work with a guy who was an excellent singer, but who couldn't remember lyrics to save his life. It eventually got to the point where we would be coming out of a break or whatever, and I could sense when he was about to draw a blank....I'd jump in with the first line to get him started, and he'd pick it up from there. (Fortunately, he was a great guy and a great singer, so the rest of us just laughed it off. Had we not gotten along so well, it easily could have been a serious point of contention.)

A friend of mine had a band with the same problem....their singer absolutely could not remember lyrics, and had lyric sheets taped all over the stage. The difference was, this was an all-original band; the guy couldn't even remember lyrics that he himself had written! Never failed to crack me up.

• Members

The thing about learning lyrics is that you've got to put a ton of work into it. You can't just sing along with the song in the car a few times and get it down.

The way I figure it...our guitar player works hard to get the intros and solos right, the bass player frets (pun intended) over every single bass run, our drummer works his ass off to get every little accent right...the LEAST my sorry ass can do is spend an hour typing out the lyrics and singing along to Amazing Slow Downer until I can get the most important part (the lyrics) down.

• Members

The LEAST my sorry ass can do is spend an hour typing out the lyrics and singing along to Amazing Slow Downer until I can get the most important part (the lyrics) down.

I download the lyrics from wherever, then spend at LEAST an hour (much longer for complex songs) breaking down the song to make sure the lyrics are actually correct and that I have every note transcribed. THEN I actually start to learn the song, repeating it anywhere from ten (for songs I "already" know) to dozens of times, checking my pitch on a keyboard frequently along the way. Then after I "know" it I sing it a couple of dozen more times in the car, in the shower, etc.

I'm not about to fake my way through this stuff.

• Members

Sounds like quite a lot of delay on the vocals....too much for tastes.....but the overall sound was good....and your singer looks fun.....i dislike her outfit a lot - but she certainly did draw attention coz she looks like she's having a fun time. WHich was good.

Yeah, the sound guy loves his lexicons. He puts it all over the vox. We don't mind that much--we're grateful he's paying attention most of the time (house guy).

As for Steph's wardrobe--it's always different. Usually it's more of a leather/fishnets look. One time for an outdoor gig she went full pin-up with a polka dot dress and bright red lipstick. Part of the fun is seeing how she's gonna show up.

Regarding Cowboy, I think it was our 2nd time playing it, after probably that many rehearsals. We don't woodshed stuff too much--we take it right to the stage to tighten up there. It'll hit it's stride after a couple more rehearsals/shows.

Here's one more clip--a bit of a clam fest but a little more lively this time. (Sorry for the misleading title--youtube has been busting balls lately.)

[video=youtube;J-ZqvP18kls]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-ZqvP18kls

• Members

and your singer looks fun.....i dislike her outfit a lot - but she certainly did draw attention coz she looks like she's having a fun time. WHich was good.

Agreed on the outfit. Guys don't usually get much criticism on their outfits, but for a Christmas party, The keyboard player was wearing a silver suit, jacket and shorts. The shorts looked like crap. (Why would anyone buy a suit based on shorts?) In their band the three chick singers wore red mini-dresses. Different styles, but the same color. Took your eyes away from the silver shorts and his knobby knees.

• Members

I like this much better.. Everybody is involved and the energy is high

Agreed. And I don't know if it just wasn't the right song for HER or what, but I wasn't really buying her singing "Walk This Way". Tough song for a chick to pull off in the first place because the lyrics are so male and mysoginistic and, at least in this video, she didn't come off as either ballsy enough to make it rock or cute enough to make it campy.

But that might just be the video as well. One can get a very distorted image of a band with a two-dimension camera shot from a stationary tripod. There many times can be a WHOLE 'nother vibe happening in the actual live setting.

Archived