Some of you guys would have hated our gig last Saturday night!

New Trail

• Members

We were playing an outside venue on the lake and it was slow at the start of the night. For some reason the band leader started asking for requests and as the night went along he finally just started calling it "All Request Saturday Night" and we basically did every request that we could do. It was a big success! I did "Brown Eyed Girl" three times (once each set) and we did Brick House, Cocaine and Mustang Sally twice. The place was packed and people were dancing and tipping! Started slow but ended up great!

BTW this is a place that we play on a regular basis and we usually do a lot of originals but because of the "All Request Saturday Night" we didn't do as many of those, but when we slipped them in, they worked, too!

• Members

glad it worked for you. We can probably play 300 songs and wing it on another 300 but when it comes to requests sometimes people think it's funny to request the lamest songs or death metal. You need to have a sense of humor to deal with them and fend off the bozos.

• Members

I wouldn't hate it at all... if people were into the band and that's what the band leader and and more important audience wants. No problem here. We've repeated setlist material before... "Pour Some Sugar On Me" and "Crazy Bitch" by request (which you could easily lump together with that other low hanging fruit).... Maybe at a private party, never a club gig. In fact, between sets on Friday night a girl I've never seen before, came up to me and asked if we could play her favorite song again as she was in the bathroom while we were playing it. No chance.... but there's always tomorrow nights gig. And she did show up on Saturday, and we dedicated the song to her.

Tips are great too... not appropriate for our type of show... but if you can make some extra $cash$ go for it.

• Members

glad it worked for you. We can probably play 300 songs and wing it on another 300 but when it comes to requests sometimes people think it's funny to request the lamest songs or death metal. You need to have a sense of humor to deal with them and fend off the bozos.

A previous band I was in, would offer a different song by the same artist if we didn't know the exact song requested. The people requesting were usually happy about that. One other former bandmate suggests that forgetting to play a request was better than telling them you didn't do the song.

On the other hand, the band was fearless and if anyone in the band could sing the song and had a key, we generally did the request. Never did know how many songs that band did. Seems we could play for at least three nights without repeating anything. (It may have been much more.)

• Members

When I played in a "wedding" type band (weddings, bull roasts, crab feasts, banquets...that sort of thing) we traveled to gigs with a big steamer trunk full of sheet music and fake books of every type and genre you could imagine. When somebody requested something we didn't know we would tell them we'd play in "a little while". Meantime our manager would get to work digging thru that trunk because, believe me, it was in that trunk SOMEwhere. When she found it it would go up on the keyboard stand and we'd gather round looking over the keyboardist's shoulders and play it on the fly. Fun Times.

• Members

Heck, the very first gig I played we were supposed to open up for another band and they didn't show. We only had half a night of material so had to play it twice. Exactly one person in the audience noticed
;)

Originals or covers?

Archived