Songs that are working for you Old & New...

wheresgrant3

• Members

We haven't done this in about maybe... two weeks (:D) but it's a seriously good exercise to do every so often and I often like hearing what working for other bands that may work for us. I'm sure some of us have alot of overlap and I'm sure others have songs that work for them and not for others. Any songs that you've added in the last 3-4 months that have 'stuck' (worked well enough to stay in your setlist).

I the past 3-4 months we added or brought back:

Zero-Smashing Pumpkins- DOA... actually in a college bar once it did OK. We paired it up with 'Bleed It Out'-Linkin Park which gets great crowd reaction. Lasted 5 shows.

Stronger- Kayne West Had high hopes for this one. Nailed it musically. Not convincing enough with the Kayne swagger... or the song was maybe to old. Would have killed in 09- Lasted 3 shows.

Hello-Martin Solvig-Dragonette- Jury's still out on this one. Played this for the first time last weekend. Again we nail it... but the crowd's reaction was just 'OK'

Party Rock Anthem-LMFAO- Solid hit... opens a long medley that includes "Dynamite", I Like It" and other semi current hits.

Semi Charmed Life- 3rd Eye Blind- Recycled from an earlier time. On shaky ground. I don't think we deliver it that well. We can't seem to make the song 'pop'. People seem to enjoy it and a few venues some will sing the entire song. This gets overshadowed from many other songs that get a better reaction.

Rolling In The Deep-Adele- Solid even with out the backups and male singer. Doesn't do it justice, we play a verse/chorus/verse/chorus... it will gone by Oct.

Tonight Tonight- Hot Chelle Rae-Jury's out on this as well... just added it recently. So so.

Pumped Up Kicks-Foster The People- Added this but haven't played live yet. I don't think it's gonna float. Seems sleepy and slow even rocked up. Jury's out.

Closer To The Edge-30 Seconds to Mars- Added it by request for a radio event. Musically we hit all the right notes. Vocally it's slightly out of range. Even transposed it's hard to sing/scream. In and out.

Lazy Song-Bruno Mars- Lasted two months... never caught on

Yeah-Usher- A surprising hit 5-6 years after the fact. We have it sandwiched inbetween 'Raise Your Hand' and "This is How We Do It' and it usually falls somewhere between the end of the 1st set or begining of the 3rd set.

December 1963-Frankie Vallie 4 Seasons- Learned it for our wedding set, and it goes over fine for our nightclub set. We play it way too fast... too fast to dance really and have it sandwiched between "Play That Funky Music" and 'Billie Jean'. Nice filler.

Country Grammer-Nelly- DOA... played it once and buried it. Bad idea.... move along.

I would LOVE to add something older and memorable... some song that doesn't necesarily define an era but that most people would know the chorus to and either dance or sing along. Maybe a Stones tune... "You Can't Always Get What You Want" something instanly recognizable. See... here goes my bad song radar: in my head it works... people chilling and shouting out the chorus. In practice: I'm thinking it will BOMB.

Care to share?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We haven't done this in about maybe... two weeks (
:D
) but it's a seriously good exercise to do every so often and I often like hearing what working for other bands that may work for us. I'm sure some of us have alot of overlap and I'm sure others have songs that work for them and not for others. Any songs that you've added in the last 3-4 months that have 'stuck' (worked well enough to stay in your setlist).

Zero-Smashing Pumpkins-
DOA... actually in a college bar once it did OK. We paired it up with 'Bleed It Out'-Linkin Park which gets great crowd reaction. Lasted 5 shows.

Stronger- Kayne West
Had high hopes for this one. Nailed it musically. Not convincing enough with the Kayne swagger... or the song was maybe to old. Would have killed in 09- Lasted 3 shows.

Hello-Martin Solvig-Dragonette-
Jury's still out on this one. Played this for the first time last weekend. Again we nail it... but the crowd's reaction was just 'OK'

Party Rock Anthem-LMFAO-
Solid hit... opens a long medley that includes "Dynamite", I Like It" and other semi current hits.

Semi Charmed Life- 3rd Eye Blind-
Recycled from an earlier time. On shaky ground. I don't think we deliver it that well. We can't seem to make the song 'pop'. People seem to enjoy it and a few venues some will sing the entire song. This gets overshadowed from many other songs that get a better reaction.

Rolling In The Deep-Adele-
Solid even with out the backups and male singer. Doesn't do it justice, we play a verse/chorus/verse/chorus... it will gone by Oct.

Tonight Tonight- Hot Chelle Rae
-Jury's out on this as well... just added it recently. So so.

Pumped Up Kicks-Foster The People
- Added this but haven't played live yet. I don't think it's gonna float. Seems sleepy and slow even rocked up. Jury's out.

Closer To The Edge-30 Seconds to Mars
- Added it by request for a radio event. Musically we hit all the right notes. Vocally it's slightly out of range. Even transposed it's hard to sing/scream. In and out.

Lazy Song-Bruno Mars
- Lasted two months... never caught on

Yeah-Usher
- A surprising hit 5-6 years after the fact. We have it sandwiched inbetween 'Raise Your Hand' and "This is How We Do It' and it usually falls somewhere between the end of the 1st set or begining of the 3rd set.

December 1963-Frankie Vallie 4 Seasons
- Learned it for our wedding set, and it goes over fine for our nightclub set. We play it way too fast... too fast to dance really and have it sandwiched between "Play That Funky Music" and 'Billie Jean'. Nice filler.

Country Grammer-Nelly
- DOA... played it once and buried it. Bad idea.... move along.

I would LOVE to add something older and memorable... some song that doesn't necesarily define an era but that most people would know the chorus to and either dance or sing along. Maybe a Stones tune... "You Can't Always Get What You Want" something instanly recognizable. See... here goes my bad song radar: in my head it works... people chilling and shouting out the chorus. In practice: I'm thinking it will BOMB.

Care to share?

Let It Roll - Little Feat, is an older tune that has been working for us lately and it is fun to play. Got to nail all of the licks and stabs though for it to work. I didn't think it would go over, but it pulls to the dancefloor very well.

• Members

Party Rock Anthem-LMFAO- Wanna add it. Haven't found a place for it yet though.

Tonight Tonight- Hot Chelle Rae-Thinking about adding this one too. Wanna wait and see if it's still around in another coulple of months though first.

Lazy Song-Bruno Mars- This works pretty well for us. Doesn't KILL-kill, but I don't think much of anything so mid-tempo would. But it works great in a spot where we DO want to bring down the energy of the set a bit.

• Members

Honeybee-Not a great response, although there's always a bunch of girls singing along. Might last a couple more months for us.

Country Girl Shake it For Me-Slightly more positive response every show

Good Directions- Goes over really well, keeper

Beer for My Horses- I'm shakey doing the Willie vocals, since it's low for me but it seems to go over pretty well and our other singer does the Toby Keith pretty well.

I Like it I Love It-Works well every time.

• Members

We (alt-80's/new wave covers) debuted the following songs this past weekend:

Right Here Right Now - Jesus Jones

Not quite ready for it musically; probably needs a bit more shedding until it's a bit tighter; singer's voice was toasty by the time it rolled around mid-way through the 3rd set...not a wise choice at the time, in hindsight; I don't feel like the crowd really dug it a whole bunch, but a large chunk of that is that we didn't deliver with confidence

Rush - Big Audio Dynamite II

Also thought this was not quite there musically before we played it, but in retrospect, it went quite well; polar opposite reaction from the crowd, and we absolutely delivered on it

• Members

"Party Rock Anthem" is really the first song that I've tried to add where I just couldn't hear a way to make it work with our instrumentation... thought about "Tonight, Tonight".. but not sold on that one.

"Lazy Song" has been working great for us.. it's a good sing along, and kind of an "all ages" deal too.. seems like everyone from 8 to 80 knows that song.

We recently pulled "My Dick" out (heh) for a nightclub gig where the crowd was all younger.. kind of a Jersey Shore set, and it was song of the night... but that's an exception for that one club.

There's always the ol' reliables.... "This Is How We Do It", "{censored} You", "Save A Horse", "Folsom Prison Blues", "Blister in the Sun", "Billie Jean", "What I Got", "Rebel Yell", and "Dynamite" never fail to get good responses, regardless of the crowd..

• Members

We (alt-80's/new wave covers) debuted the following songs this past weekend:

Right Here Right Now - Jesus Jones

Not quite ready for it musically; probably needs a bit more shedding until it's a bit tighter; singer's voice was toasty by the time it rolled around mid-way through the 3rd set...not a wise choice at the time, in hindsight; I don't feel like the crowd really dug it a whole bunch, but a large chunk of that is that we didn't deliver with confidence

YESSSSSS I've wanted to do this song forever! 20 years old. I always get voted down.

• Members

We haven't done this in about maybe... two weeks (
:D
) but it's a seriously good exercise to do every so often and I often like hearing what working for other bands that may work for us. I'm sure some of us have alot of overlap and I'm sure others have songs that work for them and not for others. Any songs that you've added in the last 3-4 months that have 'stuck' (worked well enough to stay in your setlist).

Zero-Smashing Pumpkins-
DOA... actually in a college bar once it did OK. We paired it up with 'Bleed It Out'-Linkin Park which gets great crowd reaction. Lasted 5 shows.

Stronger- Kayne West
Had high hopes for this one. Nailed it musically. Not convincing enough with the Kayne swagger... or the song was maybe to old. Would have killed in 09- Lasted 3 shows.

Hello-Martin Solvig-Dragonette-
Jury's still out on this one. Played this for the first time last weekend. Again we nail it... but the crowd's reaction was just 'OK'

Party Rock Anthem-LMFAO-
Solid hit... opens a long medley that includes "Dynamite", I Like It" and other semi current hits.

Semi Charmed Life- 3rd Eye Blind-
Recycled from an earlier time. On shaky ground. I don't think we deliver it that well. We can't seem to make the song 'pop'. People seem to enjoy it and a few venues some will sing the entire song. This gets overshadowed from many other songs that get a better reaction.

Rolling In The Deep-Adele-
Solid even with out the backups and male singer. Doesn't do it justice, we play a verse/chorus/verse/chorus... it will gone by Oct.

Tonight Tonight- Hot Chelle Rae
-Jury's out on this as well... just added it recently. So so.

Pumped Up Kicks-Foster The People
- Added this but haven't played live yet. I don't think it's gonna float. Seems sleepy and slow even rocked up. Jury's out.

Closer To The Edge-30 Seconds to Mars
- Added it by request for a radio event. Musically we hit all the right notes. Vocally it's slightly out of range. Even transposed it's hard to sing/scream. In and out.

Lazy Song-Bruno Mars
- Lasted two months... never caught on

Yeah-Usher
- A surprising hit 5-6 years after the fact. We have it sandwiched inbetween 'Raise Your Hand' and "This is How We Do It' and it usually falls somewhere between the end of the 1st set or begining of the 3rd set.

December 1963-Frankie Vallie 4 Seasons
- Learned it for our wedding set, and it goes over fine for our nightclub set. We play it way too fast... too fast to dance really and have it sandwiched between "Play That Funky Music" and 'Billie Jean'. Nice filler.

Country Grammer-Nelly
- DOA... played it once and buried it. Bad idea.... move along.

Care to share?

Of these, we do the following:

Stronger - We do it mashed up with Crazy Train, so we song Stronger over the music of Crazy Train. Played it twice. Jury is still out

Hello - We do it mashed up with My Sharona. Played it for the first time this past weekend and it went over really well with the younger crowd

Semi Charmed - A consistent winner for us - but a first setter nontheless

Others that might fit what you are looking for that do really well for us:

Swing Swing - All American Rejects - We mash it up with With or Without You, and the end where we go into the end of the U2 song kills, but this song by itself is still really solid for us

Tubthumpin is a surprising winner for us as well.

Airplanes by BOB is another one that always goes over really well

A little cheeky, but I think you guys could pull off "Hey Mickey" and have it go over huge. I've seen a male led band do it here and they get an amazing response.

If I were doing a stones tune, I'd go with Sympathy for the Devil. I'd bet the Oooo Oooo part you could get the crowd doing and it would be pretty cool. Has a really nice dance groove too..

Adding SuperBass this weekend (we mashed it up with Boys of Summer). I'm expecting that one to go over really well, but Meagan NAILS the raps, down to every inflection.

ET by Katy Perry is a song that will definitely stick for us for a while (I sing We Will Rock You in the middle of it)

Brought back I Kissed a Girl recently and its doing well.

• Members

Of these, we do the following:

Swing Swing - All American Rejects - We mash it up with With or Without You, and the end where we go into the end of the U2 song kills, but this song by itself is still really solid for us

A little cheeky, but I think you guys could pull off "Hey Mickey" and have it go over huge. I've seen a male led band do it here and they get an amazing response.

Adding SuperBass this weekend (we mashed it up with Boys of Summer). I'm expecting that one to go over really well, but Meagan NAILS the raps, down to every inflection.

Brought back I Kissed a Girl recently and its doing well.

Mickey has been in our setlist for 7-8 years now. Part of one of the first medley's we ever put together (we've swapped songs in and out but 3-4 song have never left it). Currently it's sandwiched between Biz Marquee's "Girl, You Got What I Need" and "Footloose"

(check video 3:00min in) Never fails.... ever.

Swing Swing we did waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 2005. I wonder how it would go over now. That was back when we played 'full' songs to completetion.

• Members

stuff we have added recently with There & Back Again

More- Usher: rocked it up a bit but people did not dance to it. Dropped it after 3 shows.

Tonight, Tonight: Is doing OK but for some reason is getting a better response with the trio.

Just Dance: This leads a 3 song lady gaga medley off Just Dance, Poker Face, Bad Romance. the other two have been in our set for awhile and this works well.

Don't want to go home (Day-o) - Jason derullo: We have played it 2x in clubs so far and the reaction has been decent. Not OMG!!! awesome!!!!! :lol: but decent.

With our Trio Ostrich Hat we have added a bunch of tunes some of them are-

Tonight, Tonight which works very well

a medley that consists of:

Crazy little thing called love- queen

Hakuna Matata (yes from the lion king)

Only the good die young- billy joel

build me up butter cup

and back into Hakuna Matata

This has been working surprisingly well- especially the silly lion king thing. :lol:

A 90s rap/r&B medley:

This is how we do it

The Hotstepper- (works really well)

Bust A Move

Return of the Mack

This also works well. Return of the mack not as much though but our singer/bassist love the tune so it stays and we only do 2 verses 2 choruses. I don't think enough people remember it honestly.

• Members

tonight tonight has been so so, i play it on keys (1 of 3 for me, other two are {censored} you ad my prerogative)

semi charmed i sing/rap and always gets a great reaction, the later we play it the better it does, but its been stuck as the second to last song in the first set all summer :(

lazy song... we were supposed to add it yesterday :(

Does anyone play My Prerogative on here? It's fairly common up here.

• Members

The mention of Jesus Jones got me thinking about that era...

What about Unbelievable by EMF? It's got a dancy rock thing going.

Head Like a Hole by Nine Inch Nails would probably be a little harsh, I'm guessing...

Memories of Matchstick Men by Camper Van Beethoven? Maybe that's one of those songs that people know, but don't know that they know... ya know?

Eh, I got nothin'...

• Members

The mention of Jesus Jones got me thinking about that era...

What about Unbelievable by EMF? It's got a dancy rock thing going.

Head Like a Hole by Nine Inch Nails would probably be a little harsh, I'm guessing...

Memories of Matchstick Men by Camper Van Beethoven? Maybe that's one of those songs that people know, but don't know that they know... ya know?

Eh, I got nothin'...

Played EMF a few years back... it was good but not great. Trick is to get in and out of the song fast... like Biz Marquee's "You Say He's Just A Friend".

We played 'Head Like A Hole" a few years back as well. As badly as I wanted that song to work it just didn't. Part is just the arrangement which is heavy on the synth and electronic percussion. I've seen guitar only bands butcher this song beyond recognition. It would probably do much better mashed up with something else than anyone other than a dedicated NIN tribute trying to cover it.

• Members

Me too, but I've never been convinced it would work. But now that it's reached the magic 20 year mark, maybe now's the time?

We have been playing this and peoplegt off on it.. I have a little contest of who can name the band that did it originally .. Always some guy in the back waving his arms around . We do I tas a three piece but it works nice with three part harmony on the chorus. Three piece and a great singer that is..

• Members

Me too, but I've never been convinced it would work. But now that it's reached the magic 20 year mark, maybe now's the time?

We have been playing this and peoplegt off on it.. I have a little contest of who can name the band that did it originally .. Always some guy in the back waving his arms around . We do I tas a three piece but it works nice with three part harmony on the chorus. Three piece and a great singer that is..

• Members

Pictures of Matchstick Men

And it's by The Status Quo: CVB covered it

• Members

We just recently went to the 90's well to see what would work. I came up with 13 songs to learn... we've only done a few live so far, but I have high hopes for these 4:

Cracker - Teen Angst (What the World Needs Now)

Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy (a song that wore out it's welcome long enough ago to maybe have some legs)

Greenday - She

Sponge - Molly (16 Candles)

BTW Right Here Right Now was on my list to learn.

• Members

We just recently went to the 90's well to see what would work. I came up with 13 songs to learn... we've only done a few live so far, but I have high hopes for these 4:

Cracker - Teen Angst (What the World Needs Now)

Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy (a song that wore out it's welcome long enough ago to maybe have some legs)

Greenday - She

Sponge - Molly (16 Candles)

BTW Right Here Right Now was on my list to learn.

We used to do 'Molly' back in the old days. Great song and would be a great 1st setter. :thu:

• Members

Our songs that do well every gig...mostly standards and you already know what they are...

These songs do pretty well and are fairly recent additions for us. People usually eat them up...they will last a while I bet.

Leave Your Hat On, Better Man, She Drives Me Crazy, Dynamite

We're going to add Centerfold (J. Geils), All Over You (Live), and Ice Cream Man (Van Halen) this week. Centerfold is my pick and the others aren't...but they're interesting ideas and I'm hoping they do well.

• Members

I love these threads!

I've got two bands, so I'll start with my main one:

Zac Brown Band: Chicken Fried - still getting pretty good responses

Toes - About the same

Bruno Mars: Grenade - is usually hit or miss, but we do a more rocked up version of it

Blackstreet: No Diggity - still popular after all these years...

Ginuwine: My Pony - another hit or miss one, but we've tightened up our arrangement and it's getting better

Cavo: Let it go - good 1st set song...doesn't seem to resonate much, but people seem to recognize it

My other band...

Foo Fighters: Pretender - usually gets everyone throwing up the devil horns

Cee Lo Green: F--- You - I was against learning this, as it's kind of out of our singer's range. It gets some people up dancing just because of the nature and popularity of the song, but I don't like our arrangement.

Green Day: Longview - old as hell, but we just worked it up and people seem to respond well to it (90s music is the new 80s...lol)

It's funny...when I was younger (mid to late 20s), my bands usually worked up more modern hard rock stuff. These days, I'm not digging the new hard rock that's coming out. Most of it seems to be dominated by screamo vocals and very technical guitar work. I find that we're either digging back in time to find tunes, or looking at the Billboard Hot 100 for ideas. Anyone else feeling that way? I guess it's just a product of getting old. Not that I feel 'old' by any standard (I'll be 33 on Monday), but it seems like all the bands forming in my area are playing the new kind of modern rock/metal that I previously mentioned, and I don't dig any of it.

• Members

I love these threads!

I've got two bands, so I'll start with my main one:

Blackstreet: No Diggity - still popular after all these years...

It's funny...when I was younger (mid to late 20s), my bands usually worked up more modern hard rock stuff. These days, I'm not digging the new hard rock that's coming out. Most of it seems to be dominated by screamo vocals and very technical guitar work. I find that we're either digging back in time to find tunes, or looking at the Billboard Hot 100 for ideas. Anyone else feeling that way? I guess it's just a product of getting old. Not that I feel 'old' by any standard (I'll be 33 on Monday), but it seems like all the bands forming in my area are playing the new kind of modern rock/metal that I previously mentioned, and I don't dig any of it.

I remember you posting a vid with a pretty cool arrangement of that Blackstreet tune. We do 'No Diggity' too but I like the way you guys arranged it as a trio rocked up!

I guess the question about those bands forming in your area? Are they drawing anyone based on that music. We recently played an agent showcase and there were a few bands in their 20's playing some newer screamo metal mixed with older Linkin Park, Disturbed, Limp Bizkit. They played it very well and looking at the small audience I saw some girls get into it. But people just watched... they didn't dance, interact or tey to communicate. I tried to think how this would play in the clubs we frequent. I think they would draw well... but ultimately the burnout would be quick. 3-4 year life cycle in a band like that. Once you get older or the music falls out of trend you've been typecast as 'that metal band'. I played in a similar band in my late 20's. We did pop punk covers ala Me First & The Gimmee Gimmee's... plus alot of hard edged punk, rock and metal. We sorta played what we wanted to. We grew a large following all 23-27 and could fill rooms left and right.

Three things about that band:

#1-The bar owners hated the crowd/clientel. I don't blame them much... they were prone to destroy things.

#2- We could never break that $400 mark, because bar owners didn't respect the crowd... they really didn't respect the band. It didn't matter how many people we brought. $400 was max ($100 a man).

#3- As fast as we built a following we lost it. We were one note for the most part and by 2002 pop punk had fallen out of favor. Our crowd had grown up, were having babies and moved on. It wasn't sustainable for long. It lasted 5 years before we split.

• Members

We recently added Hey Soul Sister and Closer to Fine, both are receiving good crowd responses. The "to learn" list for our next practice is ...

Sweet Child o Mine ala Sheryl Crow

Its a Heartache

Teach Your Children Well

Movin on - an original I recorded with my previous band.

Archived