Songs that are working for you Old & New...

wheresgrant3

• Members

I guess the question about those bands forming in your area? Are they drawing anyone based on that music.

Good question. While I don't ever go see these bands because it's not my thing, the word is that, on the whole, they don't draw that well. Actually, I did fail to mention that there is a crop of more indie-sounding bands coming up in my area - many with country/bluegrass elements (it IS WV, after all...). And they seem to draw better with the college age crowd than the newer metal type bands.

However, I won't complain, because the bands I'm in are really the only two bands in my area that are doing the pop/rock, Top 40 stuff (and doing it well, IMHO). Despite that, there aren't a lot of venues for us. I think we'd do better in a larger market, but it is what it is.

At this point in my musical life, I do more solo acoustic gigs than anything else. They're easy, and I typically make more money doing those than any full band gig (although the full band gigs are more fun! :love:)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There are 2 cover bands locally that I have seen live that do nothing but heavy rock. (I am sure there are more) They are both very good at what they do, one draws decently one draws terribly.

I like some of the stuff but I can't deal with it all night. I am more of a traditional metal lover (iron maiden, dio, sabbath...)

• Members

...I would LOVE to add something older and memorable... some song that doesn't necesarily define an era but that most people would know the chorus to and either dance or sing along. Maybe a Stones tune...

Had a mention (from a friend) for my cover band to try "Under My Thumb". Given the nature of her normal musical tastes, (mostly country,) it made me wonder if it might have some merit.

Still haven't talked the band into it, though...

jamieb

+++++

• Members

We recently added Hey Soul Sister and Closer to Fine, both are receiving good crowd responses. The "to learn" list for our next practice is ...

Sweet Child o Mine ala Sheryl Crow

Its a Heartache

Teach Your Children Well

Movin on - an original I recorded with my previous band.

I LOVE Closer to Fine. Thinking about adding it to our acoustic set.

Personal opinion here, but I wouldn't touch the Sheryl Crow version of Sweet Child. Stay closer to the original. It's such an amazing song, ALWAYS goes over huge and can easily be "rocked up" or "mellowed out" while still keeping the original feel.

• Members

It's funny...when I was younger (mid to late 20s), my bands usually worked up more modern hard rock stuff. These days, I'm not digging the new hard rock that's coming out. Most of it seems to be dominated by screamo vocals and very technical guitar work. I find that we're either digging back in time to find tunes, or looking at the Billboard Hot 100 for ideas. Anyone else feeling that way? I guess it's just a product of getting old. Not that I feel 'old' by any standard (I'll be 33 on Monday), but it seems like all the bands forming in my area are playing the new kind of modern rock/metal that I previously mentioned, and I don't dig any of it.

I would agree about new hard rock. I personally don't chalk it up to me getting old. I just think we're in a fairly dead hard rock era right now. IMO, there's very little coming out that offers anything that you can't get from older stuff. It kind of reminds me of the late 1990 hard rock or 1995 grunge. I mean in hindsight, I think everyone new the "hair metal" era was dead when Ugly Kid Joe came out and grunge was dead with Bush. Right now, everything sounds like bad rehashed versions of older stuff. I'm sure (or at least hoping) something will come along soon that will shake that up.

• Members
I wouldn't touch the Sheryl Crow version of Sweet Child. Stay closer to the original.

Agreed. We'll put our own spin on it instead of copying her version. We do other songs in which we have to omit signature guitar leads. People's cranial jukeboxes fill in the blanks on well known songs.

• Members

I LOVE Closer to Fine. Thinking about adding it to our acoustic set.

Personal opinion here, but I wouldn't touch the Sheryl Crow version of Sweet Child. Stay closer to the original. It's such an amazing song, ALWAYS goes over huge and can easily be "rocked up" or "mellowed out" while still keeping the original feel.

Back when we had a female vocalist she insisted we do the Sheryl Crow version... uggh.

• Members

I would LOVE to add something older and memorable... some song that doesn't necesarily define an era but that most people would know the chorus to and either dance or sing along. Maybe a Stones tune... "You Can't Always Get What You Want"

on occasion we do two very standard stones tunes: Brown Sugar & Honky Tonk Woman. mainly when we have some older/classic rock loving people in the crowd. They like 'em way more than we do.

• Members

Agreed. We'll put our own spin on it instead of copying her version. We do other songs in which we have to omit signature guitar leads. People's cranial jukeboxes fill in the blanks on well known songs.

Meagan and I do it acoustically, no leads, and it goes over great. It's a fantastic acoustic sing along song.

• Members

danzig--mother----people flipped out. has been an awesome tune to do ever since.

gorillaz--clint eastwood---n.o one. gave. a. {censored}.

hard to handle/man in the box---we do a mash up here and it works solid every time.

blur--song 2---people like this for some reason. i don't really because it only takes up about 2 min of a 6 hour set.

george michael/seether--careless whisper---we always play this because the other guitarist is an asshole, but i don't recommend it.

metallica---sad but true----goes over wwwwaaaaayyy better than enter sandman!

thin lizzy--jailbreak---i love this tune, but no one else does.

thats all for now.

• Members

Had a mention (from a friend) for my cover band to try "Under My Thumb". Given the nature of her normal musical tastes, (mostly country,) it made me wonder if it might have some merit.

Still haven't talked the band into it, though...

jamieb

+++++

Ever hear the Sam Kinison version?

[video=youtube;z0JpgKt1HeA]

• Members

danzig--mother----people flipped out. has been an awesome tune to do ever since.

gorillaz--clint eastwood---n.o one. gave. a. {censored}.

hard to handle/man in the box---we do a mash up here and it works solid every time.

blur--song 2---people like this for some reason. i don't really because it only takes up about 2 min of a 6 hour set.

george michael/seether--careless whisper---we always play this because the other guitarist is an asshole, but i don't recommend it.

metallica---sad but true----goes over wwwwaaaaayyy better than enter sandman!

thin lizzy--jailbreak---i love this tune, but no one else does.

thats all for now.

I've been toying around with the idea of adding Mother for quite a while. Still haven't pulled the trigger yet.

• Members

I've been toying around with the idea of adding Mother for quite a while. Still haven't pulled the trigger yet.

my attitude with songs like that (meaning easy enough to bang out in one practice) is go ahead and try it! What's the worst that can happen? It can bomb and then you move on... and the crowd will forget about it 15 minutes later.

But if it works... well then you have a new tune in your set that only took an hour or so to work up.

• Members

my attitude with songs like that (meaning easy enough to bang out in one practice) is go ahead and try it! What's the worst that can happen? It can bomb and then you move on... and the crowd will forget about it 15 minutes later.

But if it works... well then you have a new tune in your set that only took an hour or so to work up.

We did it. Crowd got bored with it about a minute into it.

• Members

I would LOVE to add something older and memorable... some song that doesn't necesarily define an era but that most people would know the chorus to and either dance or sing along. Maybe a Stones tune... "You Can't Always Get What You Want" something instanly recognizable. See... here goes my bad song radar: in my head it works... people chilling and shouting out the chorus. In practice: I'm thinking it will BOMB.

Care to share?

Stones -

Get Off of My Cloud

Under My Thumb - I wonder if this would get a negative reaction from some chicks, who will think its a misogynist song, while guys will think its a song of liberation.

• Members

Ya its easy though right? Plus we repeat the first verse and chorus after the guitar lead just to pad it a bit.

PS: We jokingly said we should call ourselves "The WooHoos" since we seem to do a lot of songs with "woo hoo" in them.

Archived