Local Bands whose leader / front person is the weakest member musically? True or....

New Trail

• Members

Pretty much all the "on the map" Buffett are on this album it seems. And Buffett has the sole songwriting credit on all but a couple of tunes.

Sykes co wrote( in songwriter speak means wrote) volcano off that LP I think he also wrote a couple on son of a sailor LP. We may not have the trop rock god jimmy buffet without jerry jeff walker. I think he stayed at jerry jeffs house in FL when jimmy wrote margarittaville. Interesting stuff how all these songwriters are intertwined. buffet wrote a {censored} load of songs that are not on the songs we know by heart , but it for sure is the parrot head 101 LP. We typically do at least one buffet song that people dont know by heart at every show. Our shows always have a couple jimmy buffet songs just to pay respects to the trop icon.

• Members

Each member of my trio is a "leader" - business/HR, musical director, and featured singer/namesake.

The lead singer/drummer I worked with years ago was not much of a talker. In his previous band, the guitar player decided to fill the announcing void by channeling Bill Cosby. :facepalm:

The biggest problem I've run into has been when the lead singer (who had the least amount of musical training) insisted on picking the set list and determined that the songs be played a certain way. Anything else was outside his/her comfort zone.

• Members

All I could find was a co-credit with Buffett on Volcano and credits to him for The Coast Marseilles and The Last Line off Son of a Sailor. Not exactly the Why Dont we Get Drunk, Cheeseburger, Come Monday, Son of a Sailor, Margaritaville, Pencil thin Mustache, Pirate Looks at Forty, Coconut Telegraph, One Particular Harbor, etc, etc that put him on the MAP. And yes - he had help on the way from Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, and plenty others.

LOL for sure every beach town has at least one guy, who would not have a job without jimmy buffett.

• Members

Nice speculation on Buffett, but off. The guy wrote all the songs that put him on the map - not as much in recent years, but all he needed to get started was Margaritaville. He milked that into Cheeseburgers, Now the Parrot heads have overshadowed the music and are the most obnoxious fans on the planet. But Jimmy Buffett, before he became a Parrot leader was an excellent song writer, a credible rhythm guitarist, a decent enough singer for his songs - and - one hell of a front man.

You're right about him being one hell of a frontman. His ability to talk to a crowd, ad lib during songs, etc. is amazing. He's not the greatest singer in the world, but you're right that it works for his songs.

• Members

Across all walks of life, you occasionally find people with a strange sort of charisma that just draws people's attention. In any band, each member obviously needs to carry their own weight BUT gifted entertainers with the unnatural ability to hold others' attention are very rare, and they can define the personality of a band in a wonderful way even if the other musicians are more technically proficient. Doubly true if this person is also the primary songwriter in an original band.

Many musicians/creative types are innately shy, or at the very least are not of the particular disposition that allows great frontmen to communicate with a crowd. I think a lot of those mutterings from other bands about the lacking proficiency of certain frontmen may involve a bit of "how come HE gets all the attention?" type resentment... but much as he can't do their jobs, they probably couldn't do his either.

• Members

The ones that tore if up were the ones who had people with different skill sets and respected each others abilities. Music/show/writing.

Couldn't have said any of this better myself. In a cover band: music/show/business.

I handle 100% of the business end for our group, designed the website and press kit, book all the gigs, do lots of promotion, etc. I also kick ass on guitar and have good stage presence.

Would I be anywhere without our front man (and one of my best friends off stage)? HELL NO. He is a great rhythm guitar player (which so many bands overlook) and he can hold his own on leads as needed too. He's a terrific singer. Not to mention he also plays piano, bass, violin, does classical style vocals and guitar, you name it. He's by far the most talented person in the band. He's also a good frontman and people love him. Without him the band would be nowhere.

Our bass player helps a ton with promotion and building our following, aside from being a kick ass bass player. He hangs with a rowdy crowd and brings lots of people to shows. This matters at some places more than others, but at the venues that expect a following, it's absolutely huge.

Our drummer does the least amount of extra work off stage, but offers really good advice whenever I need it. He's been around the block, played and toured and has lots of music being used on TV shows and such. He's done it all and really offers up a wealth of knowledge.

When we all come together it really is something. Everyone brings something different to the table.

• Members

....false?

It seems fairly common around here that successful bands often revolve around a leader whose musical talents, as perceived particularly by other local musicians, not the public so much, are less than his members. It seems that these bands feature a front person who is charismatic and outgoing but maybe not the hottest player, or even singer. I mean, it's certainly not always the case, but I seem to see it quite a bit. Is that true in general, or maybe a local thing?

Ha you just described me in my current band - I am definitely the weakest link musically but I do have a good stage rapport and bring it on the business side of things... what can I say.

I will say it has made me step up my game a bit though :)

• Members

... gifted entertainers with the unnatural ability to hold others' attention are
very rare,
and they can define the personality of a band in a wonderful way even if the other musicians are more technically proficient......

This made me think of Elvis, the ultimate front man with unbelievable ability to hold your attention.

Archived