Tips to Engage Crowd

ba2rymusic

• Members

This is a similar, yet different question that Jailtime posted a few days ago. I think it will add to the discussion but warranted a new thread (I may be wrong).

I am the bassist/lead singer for a "variety" band for lack of a better term. We play from funk to metal to classic rock to reggae tunes. Dont have a great deal of gigging experience (3 gigs with a band, 2 of which were with a band I dont sing for), but am looking for tips to engage the crowd. I understand posts that were made in the prior thread about being arrogant and having the crowd do what you tell them to do, but how do you build up to that point?

Our goal is to have no more than 10 seconds downtime between songs unless the guitarists have to change guitars (for odd tuning). When that happens, in your experience, is it better to keep the music going (ie improv between bass and drums) or should I/we talk to the crowd? Do either of those (improv jam and chatting) help with engaging the crowd more than the other?

As you can tell, I am very novice when it comes to things like this. I dont have the gift of being a natural entertainer. About all I know to do is announce drink specials and tell the crowd who we are 2-3x per set. Help?!?!?!?!

• Members

Random thoughts:

- work on what you say. If you're not a natural at ad-libbing, don't. Instead, plan out what you're going to say the same way you plan out what you're going to play.

- ABSOLUTELY don't do little improv jam things between songs. That's total amateur hour. Instead, work out intro's to songs that allow the guitarist ample time to change guitars, etc. For example, a lot of songs can be modified to start with a drum beat. Get that going, guitarist can change guitars within 15 seconds or so, then count everyone in.

- "Are there any birthdays in the house" is always an easy way to fill up a couple minutes if necessary. Get the birthday person on stage, have everyone sing, then onto the next tune.

• Members

There's really no right answer. Maybe announce the drink specials, if somebody's having a birthday or a party, talk that up, promote your website, there are a lot of things you can do or talk about. If the next song has a drum or guitar intro, you can extend it so that you've actually started the next song rather than noodling, then kick it in when the rest of the band is ready.

Edit: I see TickyBoy said pretty much the same thing, so I agree with what he said.

• Moderators

Anytime there's a point in your set that requires a moment to change guitar, etc., you need to plan for it with music. Think about it... how many shows have you seen where the arrangement gets modified? Right? The keys start for 16 bars with the drummer. Or the singer starts with the drummer and 2nd guitar or...

...so plan that part of the song. Make it part of your arrangement. Right? You're always going to have to delay for the guitar swap, so write the arrangement accordingly. Way better than charming them with your humor.

The other thing is, don't try to be something you're not. It sucks to watch. Just share what you're feeling. If you're smiling a {censored} eating grin cause this is FUN... share it. If you're lost in groove heaven. Show it. If you're straining for that high note, let them see you.

The best showmen are the ones that show. That show what's going on. You know better than anyone in that room what's going on right now, at this moment... so share it. Be real.

For new performers, the idea of sharing it can be intimidating. Don't let it be. Here's how...

You're not selling it. Remember, your drummer is hitting tubs with skins stretched over them. That sound is hitting your audience in the chest. Your bass is moving 40Hz across the entire room's private parts. WOW! You're a better singer than 99% of the audience.

So relax, let the power of the sound you're making move you, and don't hide your joy as it does. That sound is moving them too. So share the moment. Look at them, not over their heads. Look at your bandmates. Smile... or rock... They're having fun, so are you.

That's it.

• Members

You're not
selling
it. Remember, your drummer is hitting tubs with skins stretched over them. That sound is hitting your audience in the chest. Your bass is moving 40Hz across the entire room's private parts. WOW! You're a better singer than 99% of the audience.

So relax, let the power of the sound you're making move you, and don't hide your joy as it does. That sound is moving them too. So share the moment. Look at them, not over their heads. Look at your bandmates. Smile... or
rock...
They're having fun, so are you.

That's it.

Well put.

Archived