Best Amp For An Acoustic Electric

mineame

• Members

Title says it all.

I am getting in a country and rock band that will require me to play electric and acoustic. My current amp is a Mesa DC-5.

I am also thinking about putting an A/B type switch in my signal chain. AFTER the distortion type effects but BEFORE modulation type effects and my compressor.

Channel A would be acoustic, channel B electric. Then when it's time to switch to acoustic, change to channel A, which would kill the signal from everything in channel B. Then switch to the clean channel on the amp.

We do mic our amps and the drummer is using a Roland TD20. So if I go the two amp and a divorce lawyer route, it doesn't need to be a massively powerful amp.

What do you guys think?

• Members

Title says it all.

I am getting in a country and rock band that will require me to play electric and acoustic. My current amp is a Mesa DC-5.

I am also thinking about putting an A/B type switch in my signal chain. AFTER the distortion type effects but BEFORE modulation type effects and my compressor.

Channel A would be acoustic, channel B electric. Then when it's time to switch to acoustic, change to channel A, which would kill the signal from everything in channel B. Then switch to the clean channel on the amp.

We do mic our amps and the drummer is using a Roland TD20. So if I go the two amp and a divorce lawyer route, it doesn't need to be a massively powerful amp.

What do you guys think?

Most guys run their acoustic right through the board. They may have some effect pedals inbetween the acoustic guitar and the board. No real need for a dedicated amp.

• Members

Yep, through the board is best, with a stage monitor for being able to hear yourself. My acoustic has an onboard pre-amp with volume and tone controls, but I bought one of those little 4 channel Tapco boards that I use sometimes if I play my Takamine with the Baggs system added. I just run the main out from the Tapco into a channel on the main board.

• Moderators

this one kills but there are two even better from them...

http://www.lrbaggs.com/m1/

But personally, I like an amp onstage, the pa getting the DI. the amp is cool cause we're used to hearing any important instrument in the stage "mix". Hence... I want to be there, particularly with an instrument so easily undermined as an acoustic guitar in an electric setting.

Like an SWR...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&cp=10&gs_id=1f&xhr=t&q=swr+acoustic+amps&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1680&bih=937&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=14923277956141506540&sa=X&ei=Y_SDTuWlJvSKsALvnfSSDw&sqi=2&ved=0CHUQ8wIwAA

• Members

As others have said, the usual way is to go into the board. But the best way to do that (directly, through a passive DI, an active DI, a combination preamp/DI/EQ unit, an acoustic amp with DI) will depend on the pickup system you have in your acoustic, where you will be in relation to the baord, and on your stage monitoring needs. What are you using, and what else can you tell us about the stage set up?

Louis

• Members

Depending on your guitar and pickup, you might consider the Fishman Aura Spectrum DI. It's got a lot of features, and will likely take a little work to set up, but the sound you'll get is the closest to a mic'ed acoustic you'll ever get from a pickup. It works best for under-saddle transducers (USTs). I've been gigging with the Aura ever since the first one came out, and I won't play without it.

BTW, the Baggs is a great piece of gear, too!

• Moderators

I'll tell ya the best acoustic sound I've heard lately.

A DPA 4061 instrument condenser into a Bose L1 "stick pa". Not cheap. The DPA alone runs close to 500 bucks. But... studio quality sound onstage and out front. Beautiful. And best of all, it clips on with ease, so if you do mandolin, banjo, dobro, nylon string, it moves instrument to instrument in a second. It sounds like... it's acoustic, only loud.

• Members

A DPA 4061 instrument condenser into a Bose L1 "stick pa". Not cheap.

Man, are you asking for trouble! Don't you know that any positive comments about an L1 system will brand you as a mush-headed ignoramus? I make it a point to avoid saying that I prefer running my Brazilian Taylor GS with a Baggs iMix system directly into a Bose L1 model 1 with a single sub, since it's the best, most pure acoustic sound I've heard. Shhh! I didn't say that!

• Members

A DPA 4061 instrument condenser into a Bose L1 "stick pa". Not cheap. The DPA alone runs close to 500 bucks. But... studio quality sound onstage and out front. Beautiful. And best of all, it clips on with ease, so if you do mandolin, banjo, dobro, nylon string, it moves instrument to instrument in a second. It sounds like... it's acoustic, only loud.

Yeah, but he's playing in a country rock band. I don't think a mic would be the way to go.

• Moderators

Yeah, but he's playing in a country rock band. I don't think a mic would be the way to go.

The DPA is a little different than "using a mike". We're talking high fidelity of the a studio nature but... the mike is tuned for live performance. It rejects feedback like nobody's business. It is not tuned to the guitar, it is beautifully flat and works with any stringed instrument. Really... it's a new product in their lineup. That's why you haven't heard of it. And it's expensive. But, you will hear of it.

• Members

Title says it all.

What do you guys think?

If you've got excellent monitoring I agree that you can probably get away with the Baggs Para DI direct to the board. BUT having guitar control in a band setting is usually a must. I've used a Carvin AG100D for years and have gone with the exact setup described. It also doubles as a very workable small room PA for one or two players.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=AG100D

• Members

But personally, I like an amp onstage, the pa getting the DI. the amp is cool cause we're used to hearing any important instrument in the stage "mix". Hence... I want to be there, particularly with an instrument so easily undermined as an acoustic guitar in an electric setting.

Like an SWR...

I prefer an amp, too -- if there are electric guitars or drums involved. But I do okay going through the board, too, as long as I can adjust the eq a bit.

Archived