turkey time - 1 step forward / 10 steps back

J.Paul

• Members

You know, not to make light of your personal misfortune, but it seems like every year for the past 5 or more, all I hear around this time is news stories (just like yours) about the dangers of deep frying turkeys, and the inevitable catastrophes that occur.

You'd think people would learn by this point to be careful with that {censored}.

• Members

J. Paul... I just gotta say I really enjoy reading your posts and tour experiences. I can see that you are a very meticulous person... pretty patient too. I can relate somewhat (although my experience wasn't nearly as frustrating as yours) but when we decided to add a 2nd full time keyboardist I moved part time because of health issues. Since I wasn't playing every show and staged space was a premium I decided to downsize my rig, often times having to change the gear and configuration depending on the room. Very frustrating. I'm settled now but it took me two years and a couple of alternate gear/mixer solutions.

I see you play the Doctor these days, The Z is a great amp!

• Members

You know, not to make light of your personal misfortune, but it seems like every year for the past 5 or more, all I hear around this time is news stories (just like yours) about the dangers of deep frying turkeys, and the inevitable catastrophes that occur.

You'd think people would learn by this point to be careful with that {censored}.

yup

the odd part of it is that

it didn't happen in a Mississippi or Arkansas trailer park

it happened up north where the "smart" people live

;)

• Members

The venue where I play in the house band is haveing a big thanksgiving feed. maid dish , deep fried turkey. Eeeeeeeeek . They didnt burn the place down last year is the good news.

The fire house is probably across the street from you guys anyways

HEY....DX7s are like $100 at Brownsville Pawn and Tan

lol

• Members

J. Paul... I just gotta say I really enjoy reading your posts and tour experiences. I can see that you are a very meticulous person... pretty patient too. I can relate somewhat (although my experience wasn't nearly as frustrating as yours) but when we decided to add a 2nd full time keyboardist I moved part time because of health issues. Since I wasn't playing every show and staged space was a premium I decided to downsize my rig, often times having to change the gear and configuration depending on the room. Very frustrating. I'm settled now but it took me two years and a couple of alternate gear/mixer solutions.

I see you play the Doctor these days, The Z is a great amp!

HA thanks bro

these days you got a controller and a module~and key guys should be done...(of course you can say the same thing about gtr LOL)........

The Maz 38 (Z) is the bomb but it's too loud....I'll be downsizing to a Carmen Gia in the spring....

I have another (career type) blog / post that might be interesting for peeps here.....will probably wait until Jan to start it

• Members

The fire house is probably across the street from you guys anyways

HEY....DX7s are like $100 at Brownsville Pawn and Tan

lol

actually ben's package store is across the street. Well odds are on my side. The piro and chief has deep fried 300 turkeys or so in his new chef hat. Dont have to go that far ,, we have a pawn shop in PI

• Members

Well, Biden is from Delaware, so that has to bring the average down a few points....
:lol:;):wave:

And then with Christine O'Donnell dropping the Delaware average down a few more.....

...then again, I don't either of them are as concerned about the width of their stance as those guys in Idaho are.....

...hmmmm....maybe we should just mention that politicians EVERYWHERE bring down the IQ average and leave it at that...?

• Members

Some people just aren't very bright.

• Members

And then with Christine O'Donnell dropping the Delaware average down a few more.....

...then again, I don't either of them are as concerned about the width of their stance as those guys in Idaho are.....

...hmmmm....maybe we should just mention that politicians EVERYWHERE bring down the IQ average and leave it at that...?

+1000

• Members

And encourage them to vote. At least you have to pass some sort of test to get a license.

Yeah but barely. Have you ever run across anyone who has said "damn, I wish I had a license...I keep trying, but I just can't seem to be able to pass that test!"

Besides, I'm starting to think that the more "educated" most voters become the less likely it is they should be allowed to vote. What else can explain this recent phenomenon to support and even elect candidates that don't have the intellectual brainpower or knowledge-of-issues to be able to light a match? Seriously...I don't think half those numbskulls on stage for those recent debates would have even come close to be anyone's choice to run for president 30 or 40 years ago.

Maybe we should have THEM pass a test (beyond how much money can you raise or how many times can you get yourself booked on a talk show) before we worry about having the voters pass one.....

• Members

Maybe we should have THEM pass a test (beyond how much money can you raise or how many times can you get yourself booked on a talk show) before we worry about having the voters pass one.....

I'm all for that, as long as the questions include "have you ever had a real job". That one alone would have saved us alot of grief.

RE the debates- if it's any consolation, at least it appears increasingly likely that the nomination will go to one of the 2 smartest kids in the room (regardless of their other flaws or shortcomings).

• Members

RE the debates- if it's any consolation, at least it appears increasingly likely that the nomination will go to one of the 2 smartest kids in the room (regardless of their other flaws or shortcomings).

Yes, I agree. I was thinking the same thing. All these debates seemed to have actually helped people to understand that we need to do better than "a slightly smarter, more intellectual version of Sarah Palin."

But re: having had a real job previously: if you want to use that critera, that's going to bring the number of smartest kids in the room down to one....

..(unless you want to count "Freddie Mac/corporate lobbyist" and "Fox News Contributor" as "real jobs")...

• Members

How about then, "real world accomplishments showing evidence of strong leadership".

If the American people can fall for someone who never actually did anything his whole adult life but be coddled and ass-kissed by academics in love with his wonderfully diverse "life experience", who in retrospect was hopelessly deluded that he had the experience or balls or gumption or whatever it takes to be the leader of the free world (IMO such delusion being a far worse character flaw than not being able to keep it in your pants), who lectures us about "hard decisions" when his own hardest decisions are about just how far to kick the can down the road ( i.e., after the next election), well then I guess the American people are also dumb enough to elect an equally dumb {censored}kicker from Texas or wherever. In which case, I don't blame you for being cynical.

And BTW, I wish that Freddie Mac would have at least acted on the advice given to them by Gingrich, instead of ignoring it. And also, congrats on your decision to vote for Mitt! :) Either one would be a vast improvement, but Newt is too "cannon-mouth" IMO.

• Members

How about then, "real world accomplishments showing evidence of strong leadership".

Then we end up in pretty much the same boat.

And BTW, I wish that Freddie Mac would have at least acted on the advice given to them by Gingrich, instead of ignoring it.

How do you know they didn't? I haven't seen any evidence of what this $1.8 million of supposed "advice" actually was, have you? The best I can tell is he was paid to, in the words of people from Freddie Mac, "help defuse Republican critiques of the GSE model". In other words, go convince your friends on Capitol Hill that we're the good guys. i.e. Lobbying.

But an interesting side note on "previous jobs in the real world": That's not something we normally look for in Presidents. If you look at the resumes of former presidents you have to go back to Herbert Hoover before you find one with any serious previous business-world experience. A few dabblers here and there (Truman ran a failed habberdashery; GWBush used his family name to get on the board of directors of a few companies and such; Carter ran a successful peanut farm for quite a while actually) but most could best be described as life-long politicians and it was their political experience that got them elected, not the other stuff they did in their lives. Nor did it seem to help them much as president. If our two most recent/most business-world experienced presidents were Hoover and Carter.....

hmmm...and hmmm.....

Archived