I love my cover band

FitchFY

• Members

Good stuff. I really like my band as well. We all get along, we all have lives so we aren't able to play out every weekend or anything, but it's cool. Sometimes a month or so might go by with nothing, but hen we could be playing 3 weekends another month.

We all have great gear, we play a lot of different stuff, from country to rock to newer-ish stuff, so we can tailor the sets on the fly to fit the crowd. We are an older band, I'm 42, and the youngest. I think the oldest is 49. Our crowd is mainly mid 30's & up. So country/classic rock is a good fit for our crowd. the whole band is on the ball enough, that we can usually do a pretty decent job of requests.

We mainly play private functions, so the money is decent etc etc. They always love what we do, and any new gig usually results in us getting booked again for the next year...

Life is good!!

:love:

• Members

To add another "happy band I appreciate" story, I have to say I really love our band Roman Holiday. We're three guys who like most of the same music, understand that we're there for the crowd, understand that we're all in it together and have to support each other, get along great, and aren't afraid of being complete goofballs for the sake of entertainment.

I just wish we had more gigs, lived closer to one another, and had more time to work on the band.

Brian V.

• Members

Glad to hear that someone's else is happy.

I'm pretty happy with my cover band also. I played originals for over 30 years, I had some success and I still make some royalty money and do some session work. But I'm in my 50's and when some guys asked me to join a cover band for the first time since the mid 70's I thought what the hell, why not? Now it's been about two years and it's most fun I've had in a band I was touring on a big budget in the 80's. We play a lot of big echo-y stuff like Pink Floyd and U2, do a few big psychedelic rave-ups and then a bunch of other more danceable stuff (Pink, Prince, Adel whatever). We pull a crowd, get paid, everyone does their job and there are no creative differences like in original bands. You just pick good songs and play'em well. We rehearse most Monday nights, but we love doing it, it's like the men's lodge (except we have a girl who sings a few songs and does backups, but she's like one of the boys).

My idea is that I like to but on a big show in a dive bar, big orchestral sounds, lasers, all the stuff. I don't want to be another bunch of fat old guys playing "Got Ya Mojo Workin'". If I can't blow peoples minds, I'd rather stay home and watch my 55 inch flat screen.

• Members

So a duo should be even BETTER!

Actually, I think I'll start a solo act. Not only will the money split be even BETTER but I'll get along with all my bandmates that much more.

yes. As I get older and more feeble, the idea of a solo acoustic thing is looking better every year. Less gear, less hassle, and earlier gigs, so I'm home in time to take my Metamucil and get to bed at a decent hour!

Archived