playing new stuff

J.Paul

• Members

Things are slow and I have to keep my chops up so I'm playing w/ like 3 or 4 acts.

~Tomorrow in Lebanon w/ a singer (and band) I haven't met yet (no rehersal...just KNOW it and bang it out). Should be fun.

~and next weekend in Franklin with a reformed Stereohype (who I sub for when they're between guitar players).

GEAR STUFF:

~I brought my Strat up from 430 to 440 a few days ago so the neck could settle

~My brand new Mesa F50 has been in the shop for over a month :facepalm:so I can't use that. My Randall is just for home use and is my live spare. My rack is too big for this (and most) club(s). I don't use my Z or "gweb" pedalboard w/ anyone other than Gwen. So that leaves my Marshall (not sure if I'm using the 2x12 or the 1x12 yet) ...will put it in 25 w mode...should be balls on

~my home pedalboard

IMG_0682.jpg

I've never played about half the setlist.... giddyup

• Members

Dude, what's up! We need to hook up. Where's the venue in Lebanon and where in Franklin next weekend? Kimbro's? I'll try to make it out, so we can meet in person finally.

HA!

I don't actually know yet (Lady Godiva's is the only one I know about out there....)it's supposed to be brand new....I'll give you a call when I find out.

Next weekend 12/6 is at Bunganut Pig

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well that went as well as could be expected.

Decent band, sounded like a unit.

Good singer

not TOO many awkward moments

although there WERE a few

like....how do you end "Wheel in the Sky"?

It drones the 6 on the album and never resolves,

I just went back to the intro to a diamond and it was fine.

A rehersal would be nice (I have no idea which interval the other bgv went to- sketchy monitors).

The singer sounds pretty good on most stuff, there were a few "catterwalling stepped on the dogs tail moments" but I suspect it's because he's not conditioned and isn't singing regularly right now. Hopefully that will go away as he starts gigging more and wearing his voice in again.

DSC_9350.jpg

Next weekend~ same exact thing, different band, different setlist maybe NO monitors (lol)

• Members

While I'm at it (the thread's called "playing new stuff)

I played an old folks home a few weeks ago

and had a blast.

Super appreciative crowd

and

I played a bday party for a 6 y/o

It was a "rockstar bday party" at a "rockschool". They had a soundstage with drums, amps, guitars and just let all the 6 year olds WAIL for 2 hours. They would ask me to play something (so they could sing) and I would ask them to sing it just to me (to find their key) then they would wail it into the microphone. I needed a massage afterwards.

• Moderators

[quote=J.Paul;44746062I played a bday party for a 6 y/o

It was a "rockstar bday party" at a "rockschool". They had a soundstage with drums, amps, guitars and just let all the 6 year olds WAIL for 2 hours. They would ask me to play something (so they could sing) and I would ask them to sing it just to me (to find their key) then they would wail it into the microphone. I needed a massage afterwards.

That sounds like an interesting cross between "a-hella-a-lotta-fun" and a nightmare! :)

• Members

What does "brought my Strat up from 430 to 440" mean?

430 is the guitar tuned a half step down.

440 is standard tuning.

....not sure if that is my own terminology or if it's commonplace

My strat is usually my halfstep down guitar and I wanted to play it more

so I brought up to standard tuning.

• Members

Well last night could have been worse

a few more tunes that were "how do you end this" (which is complicated even more by the MD being the drummer)

History....The band's singer hooked up with the guitarist. They married. They unmarried. No more band.So this is the reformation with different singer/guitarist (Spinal Tap right on front of our very eyes)

What IS it with people not wanting to rehearse around here? I don't get it. It's a paid gig (not a "I think I can book us eventually if we all rehearse twice a week for 6 months" gig).

There were some good pocket moments and good dynamic moments. Monitors were sketchy (which means the BGV blend was probably questionable).Good little combo. The chick did a good job on the guy songs

What is it with keyboard players that wanna play on the AC/DC - Metallica songs?? (that should be it's own thread)

In terms of me- I didn't fry anything. Had some good moments. Brought Satan (Jackson w/ a sustainer) for Dr Feegood and Too Much Time on My Hands and we didn't play those songs. Solo on "Alone" could have had more finesse. They use video, I put my Mesa behind the screen which was stupid cause it lost everything above 2k (there was NO soundcheck and the venue is too small to mic instruments.Idiot. So I moved the amp in front of the screen for set 2....much better.

Summary-

~They got enough video to start an EPK for the bookers.

~The venue,servers, and patrons were happy. They need 3 or 4 more dance tunes for

set 2 to replace the rockers.

~way too much time between songs and a few crowd interaction schticky moments

wouldn't hurt. Otherwise we're (they're ?? ) just a band playing songs.

Archived