To Each His Own, But..?

summit111

• Members

My Brothers,

Was flipping thru the channels and I ran across "Molly B's Polka Party" on the RFD Network. Now, I don't know anything about Polka music or bands or dancing to that kind of music.

But those good ole country folks and the bands were having a hell of a good time! The musicians were pretty talented for that type of music. Sometimes we get caught up in our own styles of music, me included, and we over look others.

Sometimes you just have to check out other kinds of music. I played a jazz gig in the French Quarter last night and was feeling pretty proud of that, but those folks in Minnesota were enjoying their Polka just as much as the crowd enjoyed our jazz last night!

• Members

In my day gig, I'm an administrator at a local public high school. A few days ago the band instructor pulled me in and asked me to listen to his students in the high school band playing "The Trish Trash Polka" since he knew I performed polka music, both solo and with a band.

The students did a good job playing the charts, but I told him and them that they needed to smile as they played since polka music is supposed to be fun, happy music. Not sure if they were so serious looking because they were concentrating on reading the music, or they just didn't like the style of music itself.

• Moderators

My Brothers,

Was flipping thru the channels and I ran across "Molly B's Polka Party" on the RFD Network. Now, I don't know anything about Polka music or bands or dancing to that kind of music.

But those good ole country folks and the bands were having a hell of a good time! The musicians were pretty talented for that type of music. Sometimes we get caught up in our own styles of music, me included, and we over look others.

Sometimes you just have to check out other kinds of music. I played a jazz gig in the French Quarter last night and was feeling pretty proud of that, but those folks in Minnesota were enjoying their Polka just as much as the crowd enjoyed our jazz last night!

In the early 90's I moved from So Cal to outside of Chicago for school. The German community is strong just over the border in south west Wisconsin. So Octoberfest. I was geared up for yawnfest. No way. The bands absolutely rocked. Or polka'ed or however you'd say that. The rhythm sections were all young Chicago studio cats and the key chairs were the family guys on accordion, sax, singing. I drank so much beer in total euphoria of music so well played. Next thing you know I'm busting a move with the locals.

• Members

I grew up with Polka... and I don't have an ounce of polish blood in me. I happened to grow up in a small town where Jimmy Sturr grew up/was born. For those who don't know, Jimmy is the Elvis of American Polka music. He takes the old standards and mixes them with oldies from the 50's and 60's. Pretty decent touring orchestra. 18 Grammy awards and 24 nominations. The town I grew up in was 80% German/Polish so almost every community event Polka music was played. You'd think I'd be sick of it but I actually grew to like it... in a nostalgic sense. It takes some chops to play staccato song after song.

A few years ago our roadie tied a local Readers Poll for most famous area celebrity with him. Ok we actually campaigned for the guy.... but imagine his thoughts when he was told it was a tie... "Who the f**k is this guy?"

• Members

I grew up with Polka... and I don't have an ounce of polish blood in me. I happened to grow up in a small town where Jimmy Sturr grew up/was born. For those who don't know, Jimmy is the Elvis of American Polka music. He takes the old standards and mixes them with oldies from the 50's and 60's. Pretty decent touring orchestra. 18 Grammy awards and 24 nominations. The town I grew up in was 80% German/Polish so almost every community event Polka music was played. You'd think I'd be sick of it but I actually grew to like it... in a nostalgic sense. It takes some chops to play staccato song after song.

A few years ago our roadie tied a local Readers Poll for most famous area celebrity with him. Ok we actually campaigned for the guy.... but imagine his thoughts when he was told it was a tie... "Who the f**k is this guy?"

way back in the day we had a jazz rock/ soul/ top 40 band. The horn players we had had a polka band before we brought them into this band. We started thowing a few polkas into the set list. The kids went nuts over it. It started out as a joke , but became a part of the show. These horn players could nail that stuff at a pro level. It might be fun to throw one into the nuts show. my guess is that it would fly just because no other band has the balls to do it. Every body polka .. mash it up with a texas tornados song.....

• Members

At rehearsal last night we broke out into an impromptu polka version of I Will Survive, complete with cheesey accordion patch. It sounded great. I'm thinking a whole polka based show of all the dance songs we do. Instead of Boogie Oogie Oogie, we can do Polka Olka Olka.

• Members

Marty Stuart ROCKS!!---he got some monster players there,and they all sing!

I believe it repeats on Sunday Morning at 10 am (RFD)

My band is from his hometown and played for his b-day celebration 2 years ago. He actually sat in with us for much of the night and duetted with our singer on his own "The Whiskey Ain't Workin'". But the highlight was when he burned it up on a mandolin solo- I had no idea he was THAT jaw-dropping good.

More ethnic, "niche" genres like country and blues (and polka/zydeco/reggae/jazz fusion) don't rake in the dough like party/dance/wedding bands, but they have other rewards- chances are much greater you can rub shoulders with the greats and the up-and-comers, because there are not as many layers (and security) between a local band and the upper levels.

Archived