More Music Stand Stuff

• Members

Yeah. One of the first rock albums I ever got into was my older sister's copy of "Steppenwolf Live". Agree that they are an underrated band. They've got two of the most enduring classic songs from that era yet nobody really associates the band with the songs much. I would guess 90% of people under the age of 40-50 have no idea what the name of the band even was.

Sad but true. I'm 38, and I know NO ONE within 5 years of my age who knows Steppenwolf the way I do. Weirdly enough, in that group of records I borrowed from my dad was all the Chicago (CTA -> Chicago VI), Grand Funk (Closer To Home), Led Zeppelin (I), three Steppenwolf records (Early Steppenwolf, Steppenwolf, and At Your Birthday Party), "The Live Adventures of Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper", Billy Joel's "52nd Street" (that came a little later), but probably most important and influential to the man I've become, George Carlin's "FM and AM". Following his career changed the way I thought about things...the way I see the world. I used to be able to do all the bits from that record. I can still recite "The Hair Piece" after all these years.

But all that music really touched me deeply and shaped my tastes, for sure...and made me seem like a real weirdo to my friends. Their dads thought I was pretty cool, though. :)

Brian V.

• Members

I second the iKlip+iPad. I used one this past weekend with my iPad and "set list maker" for the first time and it was fantastic. Tempos, notes, lyrics right there at my fingertips. Blends right in there with my electronic kit too. Love it.

At the risk of being seen as totally dense...

Am I missing something or is the iKlip ONLY made to fit onto the upper/thinner section on a mic stand (or same diameter pipe)?

I bought one to use, I'd assume like you do, on a drum rack

Problem is, it won't fit any of the pipes/posts/etc. I have on the rack, because they are all a wider diameter...

Seemed a bit of a miss to me, as alllowing the iKlip to fit on a number of different diameter tubes would mean it can be used in more scenarios...

Maybe I missed something with the iKlip, but it didn;t seem as if it was at all adjustable to allow for being placed on larger diameter pieces...I tried it, put it down when it wouldn't fit, and haven't had a chance to get back to it.

Obviously I can take an unused upper tube from an old mic stand and clamp it to my rack, but another clamp and another pipe means that much more weight I need to lug around...am hoping to avoid having to do so.

• Members

I think it only fits the small diameter but I haven't tried it anywhere else. But I actually do use it on an old mic stand that I have because I don't have anywhere to put it on my rack at this time. In the future I will get a new clamp and use the top tube from a mic stand and mount it that way but for now the mic stand is OK by me and safe. I really don't want to accidentally center punch the iPad with a stick at playing velocity.

For now I station it on the far side of my hi-hat, it's definitely safe over there and still within easy reach and a good viewing distance.

• Members

Last year, the local Harley dealership hired us to play their company Xmas party. As we were setting up, the manager/event organizer told us, "You guys just play whatever you want to play....but For God's sake, whatever you do, please don't play
Born to be Wild
. Every time we hire a band, they always play it..... and we're all just sick of hearing it. "

Hey, fine with us. No skin off our backs.

Later in the evening, most of the attendees were mildly tanked...including the manager. As we were getting ready to start a set, she came up on the stage and said, "Hey! Can you guys play Born to be Wild? We all LOVE that song!"

So, what did you do?

• Members
Well, tomorrow I will have to post my picture on the Epic Fail page. My rock band has a gig tomorrow with our new drummer that we're really excited about....I thought it would easier to pre-fail myself so when I post pics I don't get a lot of "dude, you're wearing shorts and what's with the music stand?"
:lol:

So how'd it go?

• Members

So how'd it go?

Gig went great. We played real well. Only a couple of snags with 2 or 3 of the new songs, but nothing anyone was really going to notice. It was a beautiful day and everyone was in a great mood. We hadn't fired up our full PA in a while, but everything worked perfectly. My friend/bass player got some flip video but I haven't had a chance to see it yet. He's editing it so we can put it up on our FB and website. As soon as he's done I'll post a couple of vids.

I did a better job of remembering lyrics than I thought I would. I only needed 2 or so lyric sheets per set which made it less obvious. Plus, I've always been good at what we fondly refer to as Philbonics. If I stumble over a phrase I can usually sing something that sounds close.

That iPad thingy looks like a good solution. It's certainly less conspicuous than a music stand and lyric book. It actually looks like it belongs as part of the set up.

• Members
Gig went great. We played real well. Only a couple of snags with 2 or 3 of the new songs, but nothing anyone was really going to notice. It was a beautiful day and everyone was in a great mood. We hadn't fired up our full PA in a while, but everything worked perfectly. My friend/bass player got some flip video but I haven't had a chance to see it yet. He's editing it so we can put it up on our FB and website. As soon as he's done I'll post a couple of vids.

I did a better job of remembering lyrics than I thought I would. I only needed 2 or so lyric sheets per set which made it less obvious. Plus, I've always been good at what we fondly refer to as Philbonics. If I stumble over a phrase I can usually sing something that sounds close.

That iPad thingy looks like a good solution. It's certainly less conspicuous than a music stand and lyric book. It actually looks like it belongs as part of the set up.

"Philbonics" made me laugh. :D:thu:

I joined a band 2 months ago & have been learning the material; there are a lot of songs I'll be singing harmonies on but I don't know the lyrics yet, so I'm hitting the notes but mostly just making vowel sounds so far. :D

• Members

I saw that classic live albums band recently and they all had music stands.

Totally different case/idiom, IMO.

I actually kinda know Craig, the guy who founded/runs CAL, and there's (at least) a very specific reason they use music stands: in many cases, the musicians aren't all playing all performances...there is a pool of on-call performers who know varying amounts of the material, and depending on location and dates and material being performed, etc., (and availability) certain performers will/won't be there.

So if you see them do Sticky Fingers tonight, for example, and then see them do Sticky Fingers in 6 months, you may not be (all) seeing the same musicians.

But they ALL need to play the songs the same way each time, because the hook of that particular product is re-creating the music exactly as recorded.

It's more orchestra than rock show by a long stretch.

Regardless, from me on behalf of Craig, thanks for patronizing CAL...more success for him only makes it potentially more likely he'll open up a Chicago branch of CAL, and then I'll be set!...

• Members

I thought it was pretty cool. Sticky Fingers is actually the one I saw. I'm not necessarily a stickler for note for note stuff on something like that though, but they got pretty close to the vibe and feel of the record. The horn guys were really good. Actually, all of them were really good.

What exactly is in the music stand though? Is the guitar player sight reading something like the solo to "Can't You Hear Me Knocking"?

I definitely get the orchesta type of camparision... it wasn't a rock show. I'll be going back for sure though to see future ones. I'd rather hear those guys play an album I like vs. a cover band poorly playing a bunch of songs I don't really like.

Archived