Playing a benefit... and getting paid!

jeff42

• Members

Friday night my trio (Ostrich Hat) played what is arguably the best bar in my hometown. We are usually there every two months and have a great relationship with the owner. This guy really gets his business. So after the gig I sat down with him and we mapped out the rest of 2012 for Ostrich Hat at his bar. He asked if we would play a benefit "pub run" that ended at his bar. It would be a short 2 hour gig and fundraiser for a worthy cause. I told him I need to talk to the other 2 guys. We are open that weekend but I have to get their OK before I commit to any kind of benefit.

He replied with- "Oh, we will pay you BTW. We wouldn't expect you to haul your stuff in and play for free!"

It's a done deal I told him. :thu:

After talking with him a bit and realizing he would NOT let us agree to play for free. we are taking minimum pay and donating a portion back.

• Members

cool. I'll look into that. We talked for a good half hour after the gig on friday. This guy really "gets it" he only books a handful of bands. He told me he wants to keep the quality up for his patrons. Not just any band is getting in his bar. His customers know that if there is entertainment there... they will be entertained. And he lumped both of my bands in with the whole "entertaining bands thing" :thu:

The staff is super nice, the food is great, the draft selection is awesome (and comp'd) plus the clientele is pretty much what we shoot for as far as demo is concerned.

• Members

That's awesome. Like he said, he's building his venue, do no matter what might it is whatever band that's there "will be good". Then it can be less about a bands draw to fill the place. Knowing there will always be a good band, makes it a destination to hear great music no matter if you know the band or not.

Nice!!

:thu:

It's great to hear how he's handling the charity event, and +1 for donating part of your fee back...

• Members

I was once asked to play for a "charity" event (I didn't consider it to be too charitable- high school principals social night!). They asked for a discount and so I said "Sure I'll take $50 off my regular price but can you give me some food and drink." Then I quoted my regular price. That night I played for my regular fee and ate and drank too. Not a regular practice but it certainly made up for all the free gigs I did for reputable charities.

Congrats Jeff.

• Members

I've played some freebies if it was something I really believed in (Rock-For-Life being a main one) But some of the benefits have gotten local businesses to pay for entertainment. Relay For Life being one that always gets plenty of donations for entertainment.

• Members

You might want to talk to your accountant before you take any deductions, in most situations services can't be deducted, only the actual cost of your donation.... Like gas, some food and motel costs if you have to spend the night. A lot depends on how you file, (corporation, partnership etc.) and of course you can claim any deduction you want until you get audited....

One seemingly popular way around this is to have the hosting entity write you a check in payment and then you write another check or give cash back in a like or partial amount to the charity in order to arrive at the agreed upon price.

Legally and perhaps factually, my tax advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Archived