Loading Out Duties: What's wrong with this picture?

wheresgrant3

• Members

I too have a couple setups.

Band/full meal deal:

FOH (subs & tops), 6 monitors, full light show

Full PA:

FOH, 5 monitors (may or may not use snake)

Smaller setup:

FOH, 2 monitors

Smallest setup

SOS, 1 - 2 monitors

I have my trailer pack down to a science. The first time I did the full band, I thought of putting the light box at the back, to remove at home, since we only gig 10 - 12 times a year I mainly DON'T use the lights. Putting it at the back meant everything else had to be rearranged.

No good, too much extra work.

Again the non-band pack is perfected. The next time we played, I had the lights & guitar cabinets stacked longways. It went pretty good, but I think it was kind of fiddly getting them out. So this last time I butted the might box up to the monitors sideways, which made it a lot easier to get out the side door at home. So that will work out as the official "band pack"

I have labelled most of the strapping, so you don't end up grabbing the wrong one, and it's too short.

Hand trucks are a definite bonus, and I actually picked up a second one to help speed things up.

:thu:

The only thing I'm real picky about are the cords. Lol it's a running inside joke. "rob is so anal about his cords" but I over/under them and they have to fit into a certain size box so there's no point me having to redo them after being "helped". But the guys all pull them out into separate cords and I do them up.

• Members

A way to make a load out easier is be selective on what you load in.

we've cut it down pretty far for the type of act we are. Two Lightweight JBL powered speakers over subs. IEMs (one wedge monitor). Bass player goes direct. Guitarist uses small combo amp. No stage amp for keys. Key setup and drums are what they are.

Lights and risers are the biggest things.

• Members

A band I had in the early 70s could pack up from the last note played to being ready to drive away in 15 minutes. We had a simple PA, combo organ with leslie, combo bass amp and no monitors. (2 guitars and drummer too.) Two of the musicians were full time college students and wanted to get some sleep. We were also playing 5 nights a week steady but never in the same club two nights in a row. We had a lot of practice packing up. Now days it takes about an hour to be finished packing up.

• Members

So, for portability's sake, I decided to get smaller cases for power amps individually (2U cases for each one). I swiped that idea from StratGuy22 (thanks, man!).
:thu:

I wanted to keep everything light, since I'm often a one man show. Plus having them individual or in pairs allows for a variety of configurations.

U15's & 2 Monitors:

IPR3000

IPR1600

4 space rack

YX15's for mains & 2 monitors

2 IPR1600's in a 4 space rack.

Mix & match. Plus I'm able to move them around myself & they pack nicely! At the time they had to fit into my truck, because I didn't have a trailer yet.

b9fa69c9.jpg

One of the benefits of going new with the trailer I bought, I picked the measurements for the height of the E-Track.

4e7be2e2.jpg

• Members

A big part of why I looked at portability was for those situations where I had to set up by myself as well as being able to fit in the vehicle. In 2009-2011, I had an SUV, but the van makes things a lot easier. I can carry the subwoofer in by myself if I need to, although it's not always comfortable.

I plan on getting a hand truck soon, which will make load in and out even easier. Thankfully, the guys enjoy helping or at least they are used to doing it. :p

• Members

Who handles packing vocal mics?

Seriously...I don't think I missed this in the detail of the OP, aside from the wireless mic (frontman's?).

What about other mics?

One of the first things I try to do when we start pack is grab all mics and trunk them, including those on the guitar amps and drums; this frees up all XLRs and mic stands and avoids any bottlenecks, or issues with someone lacing a mic on the stage so they can grab the cable or stand...and then that mic disappearing, etc.

• Members

Seriously...I don't think I missed this in the detail of the OP, aside from the wireless mic (frontman's?).

What about
other
mics?

One of the first things I try to do when we start pack is grab
all
mics and trunk them, including those on the guitar amps and drums; this frees up all XLRs and mic stands and avoids any bottlenecks, or issues with someone lacing a mic on the stage so they can grab the cable or stand...and then that mic disappearing, etc.

Everyone is responsible for their own mics and IEM headsets.. For one the three vocalists up front use wireless mics. The guitarist and drummer are responsible for theirs as well. It's just part of the gear detail that didn't have to be spelled out.

• Members

my rig is in a wheeled rack case, all cables tied off and a power strip velcroed to the back. I use an 8 foot long straight power cord off a weed eater; plug it in, connect my speakon cable and I'm ready. I'll have wheels on my 4x10 this week so that'll help with that.

• Members

The only thing in the OP that struck me as really odd was that you have 2 keyboard players, and 1 guitar. Did I miss something else of note?
;)

How much guitar do you need when 70% of your setlist is dance, hip hop and current top 40. Answer... not much.

Perhaps we should just use guitar backing tracks... after all BT's they seem to be all rage these days. ;):D

Archived