Timmy, you don't need a 30pc drum kit on stage...

undercool

• Members

I usually show up early and put down my drum rug to claim my space. The largest kit I've ever brought to a gig was a five-piece with two crashes and a ride cymbal....not huge by anyone's standard. Often I'll have a bass amp on one side, a keyboard amp on the other, and a guitar amp on a stand directly in front. The guitarist also has a guitar rack that holds four guitars that he often sets up in front. Sometimes between sets I feel like just staying behind the kit since it's such a pain to get out and back in. Good thing I'm not claustrophobic.....,yet.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This hasn't been an issue for me for about 20 years. The current drummer I play with is a seasoned professional.....who also has a stack of (albeit small) percussion around his kit. He plays a '60s Ring Starr Ludwig kit but he has just about every percussion on top of that. The difference is he never seems busy and he adds things EXACTLY when they should be. Besides, who am I to criticise. I use a 1/2 stack and 1x12 combo on an amp stand for my rig. If I had a Leslie (and I want one) I'd probably work out a way to drag that along instead of the 1x12.....making my space on stage even bigger!

• Members

This hasn't been an issue for me for about 20 years. The current drummer I play with is a seasoned professional.....who also has a stack of (albeit small) percussion around his kit. He plays a '60s Ring Starr Ludwig kit but he has just about every percussion on top of that. The difference is he never seems busy and he adds things EXACTLY when they should be. Besides, who am I to criticise. I use a 1/2 stack and 1x12 combo on an amp stand for my rig. If I had a Leslie (and I want one) I'd probably work out a way to drag that along instead of the 1x12.....making my space on stage even bigger!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight

View Post

Just tell him he CAN'T. Tell him his small kit is required. Contrary to some opinions, I've always found that the band's mission and in turn, concensus, is enough to get through to any good, professional musician.

Consensus always trumps ego driven, selfish choices like monster kits on small stages or incompatible genres.

Maybe a little reverse psychology is in order...

Two separate cars...if he wants to roll up 3 hours ahead of time to set up his rig, I'll go buy the light show and props for Trans Siberian Orchestra and give him another $25 to set that up that us well.

It would be like having a personal roady......then I could stumble in 15 minutes prior to a gig. really play the Rock Star......fog machines, spot lights,, lasers.....

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight

View Post

Just tell him he CAN'T. Tell him his small kit is required. Contrary to some opinions, I've always found that the band's mission and in turn, concensus, is enough to get through to any good, professional musician.

Consensus always trumps ego driven, selfish choices like monster kits on small stages or incompatible genres.

Maybe a little reverse psychology is in order...

Two separate cars...if he wants to roll up 3 hours ahead of time to set up his rig, I'll go buy the light show and props for Trans Siberian Orchestra and give him another $25 to set that up that us well.

It would be like having a personal roady......then I could stumble in 15 minutes prior to a gig. really play the Rock Star......fog machines, spot lights,, lasers.....

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by lsits

View Post

I usually show up early and put down my drum rug to claim my space. The largest kit I've ever brought to a gig was a five-piece with two crashes and a ride cymbal....not huge by anyone's standard. Often I'll have a bass amp on one side, a keyboard amp on the other, and a guitar amp on a stand directly in front. The guitarist also has a guitar rack that holds four guitars that he often sets up in front. Sometimes between sets I feel like just staying behind the kit since it's such a pain to get out and back in. Good thing I'm not claustrophobic.....,yet.

That's the story of my gigging life at the moment, being trapped behind the kit against the back wall and ending up just staying there the whole night.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by lsits

View Post

That's the story of my gigging life at the moment, being trapped behind the kit against the back wall and ending up just staying there the whole night.

• Members

My Timmy commissioned an 18" custom drum riser from a local fabricator putting the band in debt about a thousand dollars. The first gig we played after it being completed just so happened to be in a bigger room with provided sound and the joint already had a really neat riser provided.

My Timmy wanted to put his riser on top of the provided riser. Early in the day I found out, told the bass player over the phone that I think its crazy for all the obvious reasons. Somehow by the time my feelings got to my Timmy they turned into 'Sarricola Sauce says no riser Timmy'. My Timmy begins to drink at 4pm and is hammered by the time we go on stage. My Timmy sang some backups so he had a mic the whole night and drunkenly (sp?) sniped my from on stage the entire night. timmy also played like absolute {censored} all night cuz he was plastered. I don't work with that Timmy any more because he costs me money.

• Members

My Timmy commissioned an 18" custom drum riser from a local fabricator putting the band in debt about a thousand dollars. The first gig we played after it being completed just so happened to be in a bigger room with provided sound and the joint already had a really neat riser provided.

My Timmy wanted to put his riser on top of the provided riser. Early in the day I found out, told the bass player over the phone that I think its crazy for all the obvious reasons. Somehow by the time my feelings got to my Timmy they turned into 'Sarricola Sauce says no riser Timmy'. My Timmy begins to drink at 4pm and is hammered by the time we go on stage. My Timmy sang some backups so he had a mic the whole night and drunkenly (sp?) sniped my from on stage the entire night. timmy also played like absolute {censored} all night cuz he was plastered. I don't work with that Timmy any more because he costs me money.

• Members

After reading this I think I work with the best drummer there is. He doesn't have a huge kit, he doesn't lose time, he doesn't do crazy fills, he sings backup and lead sometimes, he arranges gigs, he helps lug the PA when he's done setting up.

• Members

After reading this I think I work with the best drummer there is. He doesn't have a huge kit, he doesn't lose time, he doesn't do crazy fills, he sings backup and lead sometimes, he arranges gigs, he helps lug the PA when he's done setting up.

• Members

Well. Nothing we said sank in. The stage was relatively big, but we still found our backline cramped. The bar owner thrice mentioned to me some version of "I thought the stage was big...but all that stuff (points to kit) made it small..." and four individuals said some version of "your drummer is really serious, isn't he?"

Yes. Yes he is.

So is this a lot, or are we over-reacting. (there are also electronic drum pads back there. Ten drums by my count.)

8358729288_153cdbd505_c.jpg

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by undercool

View Post

Well. Nothing we said sank in. The stage was relatively big, but we still found our backline cramped. The bar owner thrice mentioned to me some version of "I thought the stage was big...but all that stuff (points to kit) made it small..." and four individuals said some version of "your drummer is really serious, isn't he? Is he in Rush?"

Yes. Yes he does.

So is this a lot, or are we over-reacting. (there are also electronic drum pads back there. Ten drums by my count.)

8358729288_153cdbd505_c.jpg

The footprint doesn't actually look that big for such a large setup, but it might be the photo. But it seems like setup time might be a problem. Does he actually use all that?

• Members

I thought those long what are they called octobons? went out of style in 1985?

My take on it is this, even if he had a 4 piece with hat, crash and ride (3 cymbals) the space taken would be about the same anyway right? I mean give or take 12 inches maybe tops? He can't really get that much farther back in the corner from what it appears.

And on a sarcastic note how come each tom isn't miced up for him? looool.

Sad to say I have that same kit, looks like a pearl export right?

• Members

Well. I guess this makes me have to really dig deep down to see what the real issue is with this set up. Actionsquid, you are making a valid point. A foot or two in either direction isn't a make or break issue on size. We did note that he really jammed it in for this gig, which we appreciated. Usually is a little more spread out, but still holds true to Actionsquid's comment.

Set up is an issue in that there is tons of crap in the way. Drums, cases, more drums, more cases... And there are times when I, as the center guy, can't get my 2x12 in a good position b/c of the size. BUT... I think the biggest issue is the way it looks versus what we're trying to come across as. This drum kit doesn't say "fun...engaged...rock music dance party band that is all about you having a good time."

Does he use it all? Nope. Its just ego padding. 4 cowbells in a rack and not one was struck. Which is sad, because everyone knows you need more cowbell.

As for micing it - we've played a few pro sports games and I can see the sound engineer expressing his displeasure with the size of the kit. I usually follow up with "can you mic each speaker in my cabinet, please?" I only mic up the kick and snare. And the electronics. Of course. But then I mute them in FOH. Shh...

Archived