What's the best website to host music?

Yer Blues

• Members

The intent is to let people listen to it for free, including possible bookers. Soundcloud, Reverbnation?  It is original instrumental music.  Do we need to worry about copyright?  It's definitely not commercial type of music.

This is all new to me, but we have recorded a ton of demos DIY and have got some decent sounding recordings.  I think it is getting to the point where some external feedback would be beneficial. 

• Members

If you wrote and performed it then you own all the rights to it and can do anything you want with it.  If they require you to check off a box that says you own all the rights to the music you're uploading then you can do so with a clear conscience.

I have music on ReverbNation, SoundClick and Bandcamp and the differences are minor and usually cosmetic.  Sometimes there are limits on the quality and/or number of and/or size of music files for free accounts.  The one nice thing about SoundClick is that one account can have multiple bands, which I utilize, but you may not need that.  SoundCloud (which I'm not on) seems to be more "social," with listeners able to make comments at specific locations in the music. 

I suggest you visit as many as you can to see what the listener experience is on each one and make that part of your decision process.  Is it easy to send links and/or embed music files to your prospective listeners, etc.

• Members

If you can pair it with a video, YouTube is universal, so it's easy to find, easy to imbed, easy to share, and nobody gets wary about going to some new site that may be crawling with malware, require registering, and so on.

Soundclick got really pop-uppy for me a few years ago, but some people still use it. Soundcloud is big among songwriters, as there's a networking/collab/social thing there. ReverbNation and BandCamp offer a lot of services beyond hosting music; they can function as a de facto web page if you don't have one yet (kind of like MySpace back in the day). I just use Box.com. They make it easier to keep my stuff sorted (I've got a few different projects going, and the format works to keep them tidy).

• Members

Soundclick was able to stream over dialup. No longer relevant but now, I see grabbing as an issue. That is, most of the hosted stuff can be downloaded routinely and even if you pay for secure streaming, the files have to go to the end user where there are tools to own 'em. Most prolly don't care but IMO security should be a priority.

• 5 months later...

Archived