....so I'm in Oklahoma City tonight and

J.Paul

• Members

walked across the street for food after checking into the hotel at 6:30 ish.

before I walk into the restaraunt I notice a band setting up in the parking lot :

ME ~"hey what's going on"

THEM ~ " we're a band setting up"

silence

ME ~ "what are you called, sell it to me ......... why should I stay"

silence

.........me walking into the restaraunt

I ate and left.I suppose I could have been more articulate and personable (which would have taken more time and focus off their "quick set time") but I've been flying all day, it's hot, I'm hungry....doesn't matter- all your fans aren't gonna be perfect.

Does everyone realize that when you play a show it has very little to do with the 90 minuetes (or 3 to 4 sets) worth of music that you play. Playing a show is an excuse to be as loud as you can about your band in the weeks or days before the show. Posting flyers, sending mailing lists, local radio, local tv, local print, local bloggers,social media, the people you do business with (dry cleaner, grocer, daycare.....doesn't matter if they aren't your target market), or anyone you come across (including clueless dudes in the parking lot of the show)....... playing a show gives everyone (else that won't be at THAT show) a chance to hear about your brand.

• Members

before I walk into the restaraunt I notice a band setting up in the parking lot :

silence

silence

I ate and left.I suppose I could have been more articulate and personable (which would have taken more time and focus off their "quick set time") but I've been flying all day, it's hot, I'm hungry....doesn't matter- all your fans aren't gonna be perfect.

Does everyone realize that when you play a show it has very little to do with the 90 minuetes (or 3 to 4 sets) worth of music that you play. Playing a show is an excuse to be as loud as you can about your band in the weeks or days before the show. Posting flyers, sending mailing lists, local radio, local tv, local print, local bloggers,social media, the people you do business with (dry cleaner, grocer, daycare.....doesn't matter if they aren't your target market), or anyone you come across (including clueless dudes in the parking lot of the show)....... playing a show gives everyone (else that won't be at THAT show) a chance to hear about your brand.

Most people are pretty clueless that its the little things that count the most with marketing. sell sell sell

• Members

most people aren't salespeople, which is why any decent band needs a "manager"

The problem with that is that typically the things that can do you the most good need to be done on the spur of the moment when that mgr isnt around. Its little things like just telling a guy like JP that showed a little interest that you are playing a bike night and we do such and such kind of music. Just saying ,, yea its bike night, stop out and check out the scoots and have a few beers Its one of the first bike nights of the season so it should be a pretty good turn out.

Its the little things that make sales. be approchable and interested in people.

• Members

"Why should I stay" isn't exactly a conversation starter? I would have responded with "why should I care if you stay". If it's bike night it probably already has a built in crowd. Those things can be pretty big at some places.

• Members

If it's bike night it probably already has a built in crowd. Those things can be pretty big at some places.

Yeah but I didn't find that out till after I went inside and asked the waitress.

I JUST flew in (I'm not from OC), and there was no sign or banner or anything to indicate. It probably DOES have a built in crowd of some sort, if anyone else was there at the time I probably would have asked them.

• Members

I did not realize Nashville record companies are looking at cover bands playing bike nights from 7-9pm on a Wed in Oklahoma City. You might have missed out on the next big thing and will be kicking yourself if one of your associates discovers them before you!

• Members

But seriously, they were probably just some dad rock band having fun and getting to play a biker night. Some guys get stressed while setting up. I would probably blow some guy off if they said "sell it to me" within the first few seconds of meeting me.

• Members

most people aren't salespeople, which is why any decent band needs a "manager"

This is true. I think it's also true that musicians are probably worse at these things than most people which is why many musicians choose playing music for a living as opposed to getting a "real" job. We're all sort of societal outcasts in the first place. Some people develop better social skills than others over time and being on stage can help with that.

Left to my own devices, I'd be happiest to just focus on set-up and getting ready for the gig and completely ignoring anybody who tries to disturb me while I attend to my tasks. But that's not the best way to go about things. So I've taken the attitude that I'm "onstage" from the moment I arrive at the gig. My onstage persona is more gregarious and outgoing than my regular self, so I need to make sure I'm "on" the entire time. Because most people--whether it's the venue staff or audience members who might be milling around before the gig starts--aren't going to differentiate. They will see you as the same person throughout their entire interaction with you. It doesn't do you any good if somebody thinks "yeah, the band was good but I tried to talk to the singer before the show and he was a total dick"...

• Members

If it's bike night it probably already has a built in crowd. Those things can be pretty big at some places.

And maybe J. Paul is the regional rep for Jager or Harley or whatever and was hoping to ink a band for rallies across the area all summer...

• Members

And maybe J. Paul is the regional rep for Jager or Harley or whatever and was hoping to ink a band for rallies across the area all summer...

yup.

I never turn away from someone trying to engage me in conversation. Making time for others is an easy way to show them that they matter, and even if it doesn't lead to them being a fan of the band or some tangible benefit to me, it's still just the "right thing to do".

• Members

We're much more than musicians - we're rock stars, even in cover bands. Maybe not to our peers, no, but to Johnny Bluejans after a long week at work coming out for some Jack and Cokes, when we bust into his favorite song, we're rock stars.

As such, entertainers are supposed to be cool, fun, and, well, entertaining. Like Guido61, you should be ON the moment you park and step out. You're plugging your band, you're energetic, and you know that everyone in the world wants to see your band.

Heck, my cover band is VERY aware that 1/2 of why we're succesful is because all four of us are engaging, affable, fun guys to talk to off stage, and we go out of our way to make new friends and fans at every damned show we play. And as of today, we're booked SOLID through March 2013, so we must be doing something right. :thu:

• Members

yup.

I never turn away from someone trying to engage me in conversation. Making time for others is an easy way to show them that they matter, and even if it doesn't lead to them being a fan of the band or some tangible benefit to me, it's still just the "right thing to do".

especially fat girls. if you are nice to them they will follow your band EVERYWHERE!

I am only half joking about that... but yeah I talk to everyone that talks to me at a gig. even some that don't.

• Members

Paul I see your playing in Mo, and a friend of mine is opening up for you all...i think. good to see you keeping busy!

silence

silence

• Members

But seriously, they were probably just some dad rock band having fun and getting to play a biker night. Some guys get stressed while setting up. I would probably blow some guy off if they said "sell it to me" within the first few seconds of meeting me.

I agree with this. While I understand the OP meant no affront, and I agree the guy mishandled this, it's kind of screams "I'm a douche bag". I know he didnt mean it that way but it would be easy to misinterpret, esp if dude was stressed about setting up. Like saying "are you/do you play/ anything good?"

• Members

So I've taken the attitude that I'm "onstage" from the moment I arrive at the gig. My onstage persona is more gregarious and outgoing than my regular self, so I need to make sure I'm "on" the entire time. Because most people--whether it's the venue staff or audience members who might be milling around before the gig starts--aren't going to differentiate. They will see you as the same person throughout their entire interaction with you..

brilliant

• Members

Paul I see your playing in Mo, and a friend of mine is opening up for you all...i think. good to see you keeping busy!

Oh cool, hopefully I'll get to hear them.

What his/her/their name? Where is it? (we usually have several dates in MO.)

• Members

I realize it says "I'm a douchebag" or I wouldn't have voluntarily disclosed it in trying to accurately describe the scenario. Again the thread isn't about ME, it's about all of US and shows...

Sorry, just call me Captain Obvious? :D

• Members

I believe its in Maryville, Mo??? I think. Ricki Lee Tanner is the guys name. Had a chance to audition for his band but had to pass at the time...........

Oh cool, hopefully I'll get to hear them.

What his/her/their name? Where is it? (we usually have several dates in MO.)

• Members

... a chance to hear about your brand.

hi J.Paul,

Before commenting, wanted to say I saw the clip you posted in the Blake Shelton thread. There his vocal sounded reminiscent of John Gorka. Thanks. Now on to the topic.

Did you ever criticize a spelling or grammar mistake on the internet only to make a mistake of your own? It's easy to overlook the details.

I wanted to check out your music and the jpaulmusic link led to MySpace so I go to play the first song there. It opens a whole new browser window overriding my, 'New Tab' prefs setting. And once there, it won't play. Instead there's a message ordering me to get a new version of Flash. Uh, no thanks.

That's OK, I see you play with a singer, gwensebastian, so I go to that link. The song menu is right there. Cool. I pick the first song and BLAM. It's blasting the speakers and the little loudspeaker icon seems to only toggle on and off. LOUD or nothing at all. Had to go into the soundcard control program and turn the volume down there. And when the first song finished playing, another song started right away, etc. Now, I'll have to go back to the soundcard menu after listening and re-adjust.

"Sell it to me" matters online as well.

best,

john

PS, how was your crowd in OKC?

• Members

"Sell it to me" matters online as well.

best,

john

PS, how was your crowd in OKC?

Your reply is truly written like someone on a forum without a signature or contact info...but you're also right. I can't speak on the issue you're having with Gwen's site, nor am I responsible for the Myspace's shortcomings (different audio players are available on the "unspeakable" link and the "licensing" link), but I CAN respond to issues on MY site.There are way more issues than just pop-up audio. Most of the endorsement logos are missing, the gear list is outdated, the calendar and mailing list subscription should be on the entry page. The demos themselves need to be 1,000 dollar masters. None of the videos are of me playing country or R&B/Dance music (which has been a huge part of my playing the past 10 years or so). There is also incontinuity in the branding between my domain, myspace, reverbnation, and facebook pages (the audio,pics, and bios are all slightly different)....all stuff that I fine tune when there is time and money. Thanks for the effort in checking stuff out John, it should be perfect by 2019.I would be remiss if I did not redirect you to http://www.musicdealers.com/artist/jpaulmusic for my music.

I usually don't criticize misspellings online but I HAVE been the apathetic band member that has been unresponsive to someone inquiring about the event I'm playing at (similar to the subjects in the thread), which is why I started this thread so that I could encourage the board (and remind myself) to stay focused on the bigger picture.

Our radio station visit had a crowd of 3 in Oklahoma. The radio station's programming director and the 2 DJ/Personalities. We played the single live and they taped an interview, did the same thing in Tulsa, then Gwen flew out to sit-in w/ Miranda in Dallas on Saturday.

Yes "sell it to me" matters online, there's a different forum for that. In this forum I'm typically critical of myself and forgiving of others so I'm not here to promote me but instead am here for an exchange of information. I do include hyperlinks in my signature in case someone wants to call "bull{censored}" which leads us back to the top.....

• Members

Your reply is truly written like someone on a forum without a signature or contact info... I do include hyperlinks in my signature in case someone wants to call "bull{censored}" which leads us back to the top.....

I'm fairly easy to find online under jabney. Google (tonight, 5-14-12) has me listed in 6th, 7th, & 8th place. I don't have a sigline here at the moment, but on dailykos it's a quote from Isaac Watts: "Strange that a harp of thousand strings should stay in tune so long." I just edited it today to remove a superfluous (a) that I thought I'd heard used in front of, 'thousand' though a re-listen (under Creation by William Billings

) confirmed that the good Dr Watts had indeed left out the article. But only in the chorus. He uses the article in front of 'thousand' when referring to 'springs.' I like to listen to works like that now and then to remind me how high the bar really is when it comes to writing good songs. My sigline on tunesmith.net is, "jabney gets mentioned at http://thecodes.net" and some of my earlier efforts have been posted there. Some better than others, no doubt, but I don't like having to choose. Here's a link to one on which my voice can be heard in the background on a few lines http://www.last.fm/music/the+codes/_/Nick%27s+Diner .

On gearslutz the sigline is now, "doggedly determined contributor to the song glut." Here's a link to a lengthy analysis of Leonard Cohen's, "Hallelujah" http://www.gearslutz.com/board/songwriting/720552-songs-extraordinary-lyrics-2.html in which in posts number 40 and 42 I attempt to decipher what the the writer was talking about (in response to an earlier post in which the song had been dismissed as a meaningless jumble).

I guess you can call bull{censored} if you feel you must, but I hope you don't. As for Blake Shelton, I saw the voice episode in which he bumped Adley Stump from OK in favor of a single-name Texas girl with an accent that would have made Cousin Minnie Pearl blush. Except the girl wasn't doing it for comedy. So I'm not sure how to feel about Mr Shelton. But I sure would like to hear more of Ms Stump.

best,

john

• Members

silence

silence

I have to say that I am really not good in this department... selling the band in social situations. Even though I manage most of the band marketing, from FB communications to band emails, managing the website etc... when someone comes up to me in a local club and says "So what do you play? " I have to bite my bottom lip to avoid blurting 'MUSIC!!!' I figure after 10 years on the local scene when should have enough recognition to not have to explain ourselves... especially in a club we've played 30 times. It's a terrible, arrogant attitude and I know it it. I literally have to talk myself into a smile and start my routine.... 'everything from Journey to Jay-Z, The Beatles to Biz Markee... you'll love it trust me ;) " I'm good most of the time with a rehearsed line. It avoids me looking like a 90% jerkface.

• Members

I have to say that I am really not good in this department.. I literally have to talk myself into a smile and start my routine.... 'everything from Journey to Jay-Z, The Beatles to Biz Markee... you'll love it trust me
;)
" I'm good most of the time with a rehearsed line. It avoids me looking like a 90% jerkface.

Yup, the rehearsed elevator pitch. That's all they really want anyway, a quick soundbite that summarizes what they'll get.

I use to say

Lately (since it's becoming more artist focused) it's been awkward (if people inquire at a random location such as an airport, gas station....) because people want you to say you play with someone they know (Rhianna, Lady Antebellum.....) and it's awkward for them when they don't know Gwen (or Jared). It's hard to spin it positive ... but if it's at the venue and I'm setting up I'll mention The Voice and direct them to Gwen (who is usually setting up merch) she's usually her own best rep. Why talk about petting the horse when you can actually pet the horse?

Archived