....so I'm in Oklahoma City tonight and

J.Paul

• Members

Yup, the rehearsed elevator pitch. That's all they really want anyway, a quick soundbite that summarizes what they'll get.

I use to say

Lately (since it's becoming more artist focused) it's been awkward (if people inquire at a random location such as an airport, gas station....) because people want you to say you play with someone they know (Rhianna, Lady Antebellum.....) and it's awkward for them when they don't know Gwen (or Jared). It's hard to spin it positive ... but if it's at the venue and I'm setting up I'll mention The Voice and direct them to Gwen (who is usually setting up merch) she's usually her own best rep. Why talk about petting the horse when you can actually pet the horse?

Well it's usually because in most situations... the person who wants to be 'sold' first without seeing the product isn't someone I believe will be sold on the product in the first place. Questions like "Whaadya play?" "Do you know any 'name-the-artist?" 'So why should I stay?' ... are usually people that believe thier tastes are more subjective than anyone else in the room. I'm not there to impress... I'm there to entertain, and if someone is asking 140 questions before the performance either they a) are a music lover... which in the case of my band, isn't going to be represented in it's truest form... b) someone with a chip who is looking for any flaw or weakness before the band even starts. I know this isn't your case, what you described. I know in my experience when I've had someone with their arms folded in back of the room measuring every note and the room is jamming up to the rafters I can almost see the effort to not get involved in the energy of the room... as if to say "I'm not going to show any instance that I'm enjoying this one bit."

One time I had one guy stare at us all night long while the room was packed shoulder to shoulder and there was absolute mayhem on the dance floor... and the guy between sets scoffed... "hey you guys aren't that bad" Gee, thanks, :rolleyes: that means alot! :thu::facepalm:

If YOU had asked the same question to me (seeing your appearance and me inquiring if you are a musician) I can almost guarantee that any discussion about the show would have led to a conversation about gear, musical tastes, influences and having a beer together after sound check. That's pretty much how I am. ;)

• 1 year later...
  • Members

When people ask what kind of music we play, I immediately tell them "good music", then a bit of everything centered on R&B. I smile and tell them the band's got a killer singer and horns. (True.) We start at ... hope you stick around. That's my approach.

Archived