suggestions for amplifier for acoustic guitar/microphone under $300?

daddymack

• Moderators

I've been looking for a while, but situations keep changing, and I find myself leaning toward the Fishman Loudbox Mini...anyone have experience with this unit, or a similarly priced one that will outperform? I like the wedge shape of the Acoustic AG60, but it is over the $300 line...arbitrary, but within expectations of what I can earn using one, short term (the ROI has to be fast). I also looked at the Kustom Sienna, but I sort of got hte feeling it was just a SS amp with a mic input added to it, but I could be wrong...

I've pretty much worked out that 50-60 watts is the minimum acceptable level for a SS amp (I am basically a tube amp guy, so his is a hard experience for me to go through ;) ) in order to keep the vocals clear (with a non-condenser mic, like an SM58), but that is not the entire requirement...so, what else is out there I can try out that may meet my needs?

• Moderators

The Genz Shenandoah is major overkill for my immediate needs, and I seriously doubt I will find one in decent condition under $300... Ifhad to go used, I would be looking for the Fender Acoustasonic Junior or the Roland AC60, but finding those under the 300 mark is going to be a challenge as well.

• Members
  • Members

The Genz Shenandoah is major overkill for my immediate needs, and I seriously doubt I will find one in decent condition under $300... Ifhad to go used, I would be looking for the Fender Acoustasonic Junior or the Roland AC60, but finding those under the 300 mark is going to be a challenge as well.

I have the Shen 60LT, which is small and light. As I said, I bought it used. I paid $350 for mine, shipped to the door, in absolute pristine condition.

Have you checked out the GuitarCenter.com "used" section? It lets you search the used inventory of all of their stores. If you see something you like, you call the store and make a deal. That's how I bought that amp, and I also bought a guitar that way.

• Members

i just got this for $395... cover, foot switches, manual, all the paperwork... dude bought it for his kid to use and the kid is more of a rocker it turns out... i know it's over what your quoting but imho it is rock solid, blows away the competition and is 160 watts rms... the mic pre is awesome and studio quiet... i'm using a sennheiser e935 with it... my beloved shure PE 50's, (slightly less loved)SM58's, as well as the akg headset have been relegated to the reserve mic status...

Fender Acoustasonic SFX II...

DSC_0001.JPG

• Members

I've got the Ashdown Acoustic Radiator 1. Got a good deal on it, since the store was no longer carrying Ashdown products (distributor change). Think I paid $319 for it.

Never had a problem with it. 2 Channels, 100 watt RMS, reverb, post eq DI out so can use it as a monitor but control the mix better myself, notch filter, reverb, switchable phantom power on the mic channel and fx loop. Though what I've been doing more is plugging my stuff into a Behringer B205D, facing that back as a monitor, and sending the "thru" line out to the Ashdown. The behringer has more wattage, but the Ashdown has a 12 inch speaker and tweater, and seems to push more air with bigger dynamic range than the behringers 5.5" speaker.

When practicing at home to lower volume (I've kids) but still getting that sense of mix, is I take the post eq DI into a headphone amp, and listen to that while playing (and keeping the master turned down) so I can hear what "an audience would hear" more or less, at pretty much acoustic volume for the rest of the house.

It's pretty much a small-medium location rig. That being said I like the ashdown.

• Members

I've had a Loudbox Mini for a couple of months now, and couldn't be happier. I would highly recommend it. I've used it as a stand-alone system in small rooms, and it sounds great. I also use it as my stage monitor/sub-mixer in larger rooms. Both my guitar and vocal mic go into the LB, then I take the DI out into the PA. I've even used it on "jazz" gigs with my Epi Joe Pass hollowbody.

• Members

The Kustom Sierra is a surprisingly good sounding amp, but it does have one failing: the vinyl covering is very thin, so rips easily...so a good cover is something to consider buying with it.

And an ampstand makes any acoustic amp project better.

All that being said, for $300 you might consider a good used 4 or 6 channel powered mixer and a couple of 10" + horn cabs on stands...vastly helps your overall sound.

Peaveys can be found around that price on Craigslist.

• Moderators

The Kustom Sierra is a surprisingly good sounding amp, but it does have one failing: the vinyl covering is very thin, so rips easily...so a good cover is something to consider buying with it.

And an ampstand makes any acoustic amp project better.

All that being said, for $300 you might consider a good used 4 or 6 channel powered mixer and a couple of 10" + horn cabs on stands...vastly helps your overall sound.

Peaveys can be found around that price on Craigslist.

Thanks, TAH, I thought about that, but the goal is light/small/portable (in my RX8). For the time being, I am okay, as the current duo is all instrumental, and the Acoustisonic setting on the Super Champ XD seems to behave well with the A/Es...for now..

I will see what happens when I have a larger room to cover, and/or if I can 'daisy chain' this duo to another with vocals or a solo...then things will have to change.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have had numerous amps and settled with the Shen Jr. Still plenty loud, sparking hi's rich lows, a para eq for mids and one of the best vocal sounds of them all. Used go for about $300.

To me, the worst vocal amp was the acoustasonic. Even some crate amps were far better.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The Genz Shenandoah jr. is a pretty good amp. You might be able to find a used one for $300. I used to own one, but have since moved on to a 2-top pa. But the shen jr had a great clear sound and the on-board effects are pretty good. It also has phantom power, which is great depending on what kind of mic you are using. I had a guitar amp stand to get it up off the ground a little bit.

• Members

You might consider investing in a good DI (LR Baggs or similar) and just start saving up for a better PA, which will give you the option of having something that you can also use for vocals if / when that need arises....

But, if you are set on an amp, I think the other guys have covered it for the most part, but you might also like to look into a used Fishman Loudbox 120, they seem to replicate the sound of an acoustic guitar pretty well.... SWR makes some really nice acoustic guitar amps, but they might be out of your price range.

Either way, good luck with your search !

Archived