Sologig acoustic piano/voice, what do u guys use to get voice loud enough/sound good?

stevolives

• Members

Hey all,

Well, I finally got called for another gig at a country club. Good news bad news, the good news is I get to play their grand piano, the bad news is I have to transcribe a bunch of songs into the keys I sing them in vs cheating with the transpose button on my keyboard for so many years! Truth is, I can tell as I start transposing that it will make me a better more rounded out player.. I digress.. Anywho, so also good news, I don't have to take half a rooms furniture with me! :) All I need is my music and my mic. I have been plugging my voicelive/mic into a clean 50 watt guitar amp. It doesn't sound too bad. I am surprised though that I have to have the thing on nearly 10- as loud as it will go, to be adequate over an acoustic piano. Since I hope it won't just be a one night deal, what is commonly used for vocals sound reinforcement in this situation? It's a smallish room so I don't believe my big pa is required at all. Is there another solution that isn't hard to lug around and doesn't cost a fortune? I know I know, everyone wants that but i figure since it's just voice I can get by with less size. Was curious what you guys use for this type of application, also curious kind of why the mic can't be any louder in the guitar amp I have it setup with now. Of course, the bose stick would be great but am not plunking down a thousand bucks for what may be a one shot deal. Comments are appreciated, thanks!

• Members

Of course, the bose stick would be great
but am not plunking down a thousand bucks for what may be a one shot deal.
Comments are appreciated, thanks!

Try to think of it as not being a one shot deal. Think of it as more of an investment in your musical future. Purchase what you are comfortable with but think quality. I have always subscribed to the "buy once, cry once". I use JBL PRX components. Did it cost more? Yes. Does it sound better than all the single acts I have gone to see in the last year? Yes again. When something sound good the folks pick up on it.

• Moderators

It depends on the amp... a 50W solid state guitar amp may not be able to keep up with a grand piano; a 50W tube amp will.

The other possible issue with the mic into the guitar amp is a lo-z/hi-z mismatch. How are you plugging in the mic? If you have an XLR to 1/4" adapter, that should have a transformer/pad built in which would correct any mismatch; if you have a cable with XLR on one end and 1/4" on the other, that could be an issue.

• Members

Try to think of it as not being a one shot deal. Think of it as more of an investment in your musical future. Purchase what you are comfortable with but think quality. I have always subscribed to the "buy once, cry once". I use JBL PRX components. Did it cost more? Yes. Does it sound better than all the single acts I have gone to see in the last year? Yes again. When something sound good the folks pick up on it.

Ok understood. I have JBL speakers and a crown amp, also a yorkville large sub. Do you think I should bring all of that? Maybe just not the sub? I just don't want to have overkill with a fairly large pa system I usually use with keyboard and backing tracks and voice just to simply have my voice coming out of. Or do I? Sounds like the recomendation is to bring everything but my keyboard just for vocal support? Am afraid the old people will be like "what the heck is that guy bringing all that stuff for?" I imagine 2 big speakers on stands, the big sub, a litany of cables and my big road case full of amps and stuff. Seems like would be tacky? Just asking the question as I have never done a gig like this before, kinda scary. I need to get over there to scope the room and plunk around on the piano a bit. :o

• Members

It depends on the amp... a 50W
solid state
guitar amp may not be able to keep up with a grand piano; a 50W
tube
amp will.

The other possible issue with the mic into the guitar amp is a lo-z/hi-z mismatch. How are you plugging in the mic? If you have an XLR to 1/4" adapter, that should have a transformer/pad built in which would correct any mismatch; if you have a cable with XLR on one end and 1/4" on the other, that could be an issue.

Well my mic is actually plugged into my VL4 vocal processor. I use it for compressor, reverb, some delay but none of the harmony stuff. I use the 2 outs, left and right of the VL4, into the 2 inputs of the amp. Doesn't sound too bad but yeah, unless cranked, it won't do it. Based on your comment, I kind of wonder if it will do it at all volumewise with a grand piano, maybe baby grand but still... Wonder if should use balanced/unbalanced 1/4 cables connecting VL4 with amp.

• Members

Ok understood. I have JBL speakers and a crown amp, also a yorkville large sub. Do you think I should bring all of that? Maybe just not the sub? I just don't want to have overkill with a fairly large pa system I usually use with keyboard and backing tracks and voice just to simply have my voice coming out of. Or do I? Sounds like the recomendation is to bring everything but my keyboard just for vocal support? Am afraid the old people will be like "what the heck is that guy bringing all that stuff for?" I imagine 2 big speakers on stands, the big sub, a litany of cables and my big road case full of amps and stuff. Seems like would be tacky? Just asking the question as I have never done a gig like this before, kinda scary. I need to get over there to scope the room and plunk around on the piano a bit.
:o

I just said you should think quality. No, I don't think you should bring all of that gear, just what it takes to have a quality sound. If it takes all of that gear to sound the way you are comfortable then I guess that i how it should be. But since you don't have a roady (I doubt any of us do) then distill it down to the components that will get you by and still sound adequate.

BTW, I HATE hauling equipment. :)

• Members

Of course, the bose stick would be great but am not plunking down a thousand bucks for what may be a one shot deal.

In reality, the Bose would be perfect for this gig. It would also (most likely) be suited for most of the keyboard/vocal gigs you're doing. It sounds great, and really does only take a minute to set up. I was also very reluctant to put out that much cash, but now I'm super glad I did. BTW, Bose has their rebate deal going on right now, so you can get an L1 Compact for $899.

• Members

In reality, the Bose would be perfect for this gig. It would also (most likely) be suited for most of the keyboard/vocal gigs you're doing. It sounds great, and really does only take a minute to set up. I was also very reluctant to put out that much cash, but now I'm super glad I did. BTW, Bose has their rebate deal going on right now, so you can get an L1 Compact for $899.

I agree on the 900... I could probably get 2-300 for my existing stuff softening the blow considerably.. but this is the first call i've had in a loooong time so am reluctant. ahhhhh, this discussion is appreciated! :)

• Members

can you run your PA power amp in mono? If so, just bring one speaker...

cool so would this work?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/kustom-kpc12mp-12-powered-monitor-speaker/485594000000000

if so, what is the next step up? wouldn't mind spending in the high 2's... Again, thanks!

it's gotta be powered though, :)

• Members

I think you ought to check out the (powered/active) QSC K10. They're currently all the rage among keyboard players. 1000 watts power, more than enough bass to kick LH bass with, very compact and lightweight. WAY less cumbersome than the Boss stuff and more bass than you'll ever need, without an additional sub. Has a great built-in mixer too. I've seen DJ's use a pair to fill up a large size room with quaility sound.

• Members

I think you ought to check out the (powered/active) QSC K10. They're currently all the rage among keyboard players. 1000 watts power, more than enough bass to kick LH bass with, very compact and lightweight. WAY less cumbersome than the Boss stuff and more bass than you'll ever need, without an additional sub. Has a great built-in mixer too. I've seen DJ's use a pair to fill up a large size room with quaility sound.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/qsc-k10-10-powered-pa-speaker/581517000000000

Wow, thats quite a unit, ya rarely see something that weighs that little that costs so much. It sounds really high end and cool. Is the bose deal not worth 150 more though? Lots of choices out there but I feel I have some great leads to work with. thanks

• Members

cool so would this work?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/kustom-kpc12mp-12-powered-monitor-speaker/485594000000000

if so, what is the next step up? wouldn't mind spending in the high 2's... Again, thanks!

it's gotta be powered though,
:)

next step up

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/harbinger-aps15-15-powered-pa-speaker

but Id trust Peavey or Yamaha more

then u get into the JBL, QSC higher end stuff

• Members

Please do not buy anything Kustom. Please do not buy anything Behringer.

All you need is one active powered speaker.

I sometimes play in a duo with a piano player. All the rooms we gig at have a grand piano. He brings one eight inch speaker, a thrity year old powered mixer, and proceeds to put two vocals and drum machnie through it. And it basically works. But I would recommend at 10" as the minimum.

By the way, you don't need to mount the speaker(s) on a stand. if it's a monitor style you can just put it on the floor and point it at your general directon and folks will hear it just fine (assuming you ave at the proper volume).

Although I'm not a big Mackie fan, something like the Mackie 350 would do just fine. I've used them before in these situations and they work great for that. But being Mackie you might want to bring some sort of a back-up ;)

If you've got processing, the mixer section on a powered speaker isn't as critical, so some of the discounted RCF's would work great. And as mentioned if budget isn't a consideration QSC K10's would fit the bill.

I realize Bose are aimed at the solo/duo market but they are still overpriced, and a bit of a one trick pony. Of course some people only want one pony, so that's fine.

• Members

Please do not buy anything Kustom. Please do not buy anything Behringer.

All you need is one active powered speaker.

I sometimes play in a duo with a piano player. All the rooms we gig at have a grand piano. He brings one eight inch speaker, a thrity year old powered mixer, and proceeds to put two vocals and drum machnie through it. And it basically works. But I would recommend at 10" as the minimum.

By the way, you don't need to mount the speaker(s) on a stand. if it's a monitor style you can just put it on the floor and point it at your general directon and folks will hear it just fine (assuming you ave at the proper volume).

Although I'm not a big Mackie fan, something like the Mackie 350 would do just fine. I've used them before in these situations and they work great for that. But being Mackie you might want to bring some sort of a back-up
;)

If you've got processing, the mixer section on a powered speaker isn't as critical, so some of the discounted RCF's would work great. And as mentioned if budget isn't a consideration QSC K10's would fit the bill.

I realize Bose are aimed at the solo/duo market but they are still overpriced, and a bit of a one trick pony. Of course some people only want one pony, so that's fine.

Thank you! and I promise, will not look at those brands, great great info from this thread. Great, the JBL 12 inch speaker I have has those angled sides so should work niceley. Of course the next question will be, how the heck to I interface my crown amp, VL4 and JBL, will prolly bring both speakers, won't be anymore trouble really but I don't want to bring the big 10 space roadcase because alot of it will not be utilized, piano modules and such. But to not bring it may look tacky, dunno. Can ya just have a crown amp sitting on milk crates?

Archived