farmers markets

eyesore

• Members

flea markets are very popular down here in florida. the hours are early (usually 12-3pm or 1-4pm) they hire solo's and duos on fri-sat-sun.

farmers markets aren't around these parts. i remember them in ohio, but thats been quite a while ago

• Members

There's one in my area, but it's not all year and I can't remember the name of it. If I remember, I'll post it...

My understanding, though, is that this particular one doesn't pay, just provides the stage and power, and you put out your tip jar. So it's not something I'd consider doing, unless I was pimping a new acoustic album and playing original music and selling CD's. Which could happen, in theory.

• Members

I'm playing our local farmers market solo in two weeks and with my trio later in the summer. The DDA hires local acts for the farmers market and also hires weekend buskers all summer. They have to stretch their budget over many weeks, but its nice that they are able to pay us a little something. And the tips are great.

• Members

I played a Farmer's Market gig last summer. It was nice, low key, and a relatively low stress gig. Didn't pay a lot, but it was an easy gig.

It was also cool because you could play the FM gig in the morning and then do another show that evening.

• Members

I play them (just for tips/busking) with my wife which is our duo. Most of them don't even supply power so we're using a little battery amp. (ironically, the only one that gives us power is also the one where we get consistently the least tips. I think this is actually because we look much more "pro" with our vocal effects and proper speakers, and therefore the crowd don't see us as buskers).

We make money that makes it just worthwhile - we aren't real professional musicians, but doing the busking has given us a bit of confidence and since then, we've done a few "real gigs", one of which we got by being seen busking.

• Members

actually both farm mkts have decent small PA systems.....i play at the hospitals for patients in their rooms thru an organization called MUSCIANS ON CALL.that is unamped [obviously]....its a great organization.

• Members

Huh. I'd like to do a gig with no power - just me and my acoustic. I think that'd be fun.

Get yourself one of these...the Busker's Best Friend:

DV019_Jpg_Regular_487761_on_pole_V.jpg

Crate TX50DB

The Crate TX50DB is the perfect choice for performers who refuse to be held hostage by wall outlets. With its specially designed 10" woofer and piezo tweeter, the TX50DB delivers 50 watts of clean, full-range power, plus the onboard DSP makes digital effects processing a cinch.

Housed in a custom-designed wood enclosure, the TX50DB is rugged, road-ready, and supremely transportable. The heavy-duty battery provides up to 8 hours of rock solid performance. And the TX50DB offers performance features you

• Members

That's still power. Battery power! I mean I think it'd be fun to do a gig with no PA at all. No mic, no amp.

Problem there is that nobody would hear you...one voice and one acoustic guitar is easily drowned out by a crowd of folks all talking.

No hear, no $$$

When I bought my 1st Crate Taxi 30, my busking $$$ at the monthly swap meet, where I then plied my trade, went up a huge amount, from an average of $15-20 to $100 and up for the same approx. time spent...just a little bit of amplification makes the crucial difference these days. :thu:

But give the "totally unplugged" thing a try...see what you think.

• Members

Problem there is that nobody would hear you...one voice and one acoustic guitar is easily drowned out by a crowd of folks all talking.

No hear, no $$$

When I bought my 1st Crate Taxi 30, my busking $$$ at the monthly swap meet, where I then plied my trade, went up a huge amount, from an average of $15-20 to $100 and up for the same approx. time spent...just a little bit of amplification makes the crucial difference these days.
:thu:

But give the "totally unplugged" thing a try...see what you think.

TAH is right about not being heard, you can try it, but peeps are gonna have to gather pretty close to ya.

I like that Taxi battery amp, Roland makes one too, and I don't know how long they last but Duracell makes a Battery back up

51lHOF4v6RL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Members

I've played the Farmers Market in my little town.

It didn't pay very well, but with tips it worked out okay. I think that with some practice it'd be better.

I also got tipped out by some of the farmers and ate very well that week, though I don't know if that practice is wide spread. It was a late afternoon gig, and getting out early-ish was nice, too.

• Members

TAH is right about not being heard, you can try it, but peeps are gonna have to gather pretty close to ya.

I like that Taxi battery amp, Roland makes one too, and I don't know how long they last but Duracell makes a Battery back up

51lHOF4v6RL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Can't speak for the Roland, but the Crate Taxi 30 and Limo 50 are good for 5-6 hours before needing recharging...no idea about the Taxi 15, but possibly the same.

Also, Harbor Freight sells some cool solar powered 12V chargers that will run either Crate. Got mine on sale for $89, as I recall.

• Members

The farmers market I am playing tomorrow starts at 9. This morning at 9 it was around 45 degrees, although it warmed up to around 70 later. Is there anything I can do to keep the guitar in tune when it's that cold? Tricks of the trade?

• Members

Seriously, me neither. 10 or less EZ up tents in parking lots and light turnouts are what most of the farmers markets are in my area.

Not here.

30+ good vendors (paying money to be there and making money on what they are selling), plus local restaurants selling food, crafts folks and they always have paid music (though I don't think they pay enough). It's more legit here, but I'm sure it varies from place to place.

• Members

we are in the rotation for a market day deal down here. Its a pretty decent gig. 11am till 2pm. They block off the main street in town and hire two full bands ,, one at each end of the main city block. The sweet thing is that we can do one of those during the day and still have a gig that night. 100 a man. Not great but Its not a bad gig for down here. Its a good way for us to get people to the island and spend money in the bar we do house duty at.

• Members

seriously. Seems like an odd combo.

OK...as they're pretty common, worldwide, I just thought they were everywhere in America, too.

In the Ft. Worth, Tx. area, for instance, there are several....3 or 4 Farmer's Markets and almost a dozen Flea Markets, some weekly, a few only monthly. Several have live music.

This is probably the largest: http://tradersvillage.com/grand-prairie

• Members

In the Ft. Worth, Tx. area, for instance, there are several....3 or 4 Farmer's Markets and almost a dozen Flea Markets, some weekly, a few only monthly. Several have live music.

That's the problem. There are about 10-15 farmers markets throughout the week around here and they're all spread out so turnout and coordination is just crap.

Archived