Blackbird?

Potts

• Members

Guitarists...Do you play it?

I've been playing guitar for 30 years and never learned it until a couple of weeks ago. It was a rough one to add to the set- I blew it a bunch of times. Now that I have it wired, I pretty much sneak it in every gig even though it's so mellow. The tune is just fun to play.

Discuss?

• Members

I don't. I have the tab for it an began to learn it at one point.

I'm just not a Beatles fan, and there's so many other songs out there that I need to learn. It seems like that's a staple of most local solo acts, but it is pretty mellow.

• Members

I learned it in the '60s because I thought it would be a good acoustic song. In the '70s I came across some sheet music with classical guitar pieces. One of them was obviously where McCartney got the idea for Blackbird's music. I read recently that the lyrics are about the civil rights movement in the '60s.

• Members

I don't. I have the tab for it an began to learn it at one point. I'm just not a Beatles fan, and there's so many other songs out there that I need to learn. It seems like that's a staple of most local solo acts, but it is pretty mellow.

Yeah but after playing all the cheesy stuff that gets requested sometimes I figure it's ok to be selfish. :)

• Moderators

did it as a solo throwaway/fill-in as the band went on break, for years, on and off..also Her Majesty..and Mother Nature's Son...the simplicity of the 'two-finger-thirds-picked' technique led me on to figuring out an immense number of songs, from Christmas Carols to classical pieces ,as well as some ragtime pieces..Scott Joplin, etc.and it leads into some serious jazz technique... :thu:

Despite his naysayers, Macca was, musically, the backbone of the Beatles.

• Members

did it as a solo throwaway/fill-in as the band went on break, for years, on and off..also Her Majesty..and Mother Nature's Son....

Very cool! Just when I'd like to give credit to Paul, I always find myself having a difficult time trying to figure out which of the 3 contributed the most to me.

• Moderators

collaboration, not just a dirty word from WWII ;)

John: brillaint lyricist

George: far better skills on guitar (Macca eventually figured this out and found outside help via a 'mutual friend');)

Ringo: solid time keeper..Macca supposedly played the drums on a lot of the recordingss, later, using his hands, minus sticks...um, well..maybe on some of the 'white album'; stylistically noticeable on his debut solo 'Cherries' album...

but when one looks at the output of all four members since the split in 1971....there is a distinct pattern of..well..mediocre to brilliant from Macca, less volume, but more insghitful from John, broad sweep from George in a wide variety of settings, but stylistically limited...and with limited commercial appeal (under his name) and...Ringo ;)

Ringo can still fill a stadium to this day..he just has to promote a bit more, lord luv'im :thu:

• Members

Guitarists...Do you play it?

I've been playing guitar for 30 years and never learned it until a couple of weeks ago. It was a rough one to add to the set- I blew it a bunch of times. Now that I have it wired, I pretty much sneak it in every gig even though it's so mellow. The tune is just fun to play.

Discuss?

I had to learn how to play some of the parts several different ways until I found the one that was easiest on the fingers and sounded right. Its a masterpiece IMO and takes a lot of practice to play it perfectly. Every time I play it while noodling on stage I see the heads turn.

• Members

Very cool! Just when I'd like to give credit to Paul, I always find myself having a difficult time trying to figure out which of the 3 contributed the most to me.

It's really a toss up and most people say Paul but I really liked the way Harrison peppered the songs with very unique riffs and lead passages too. It wouldn't have been the same without him.

• Members

uh - it's kinda the acoustic solo/duo version of sweet home alabama (freebird whooooo play some skynyrd). there's only so many times a man can stomach a brown eyed girl taking the stairway to heaven after she finishes her cheeseburger in paradise.

• Members

I probably know about 60 Beatles tunes well. When I was performing for a living I played Blackbird often:) simple and beautiful like a nice Classical piece. I LOVE the Beatles! Every songwriter I know does and we all pay homage to them here there and everywhere :)

• Members

it's definitely overcooked locally. off the top of my head, 4 of 8 acts i watch or work with play it routinely (i.e. nearly every time on stage, even as a guest spot or at an open mic). they are all interchangeable. this is all an aside though, i personally don't enjoy the song, therefore don't play it.

Archived