Blackbird?

Potts

• Members
^ ? I just learned Blackbird. Great song!

I enjoy the tune myself and especially like the crosby, stills and nash version...

what i was alluding to is that a professional, in my opinion, will play what the audience wants to hear... if youre being paid to entertain others, thats what you do... personally I enjoy performing, I dont really care what style of music...

but then some of us are just musical whores. :cool:

• Members

Learned how to play it by ear back in the 60s when I was eleven(learned Classical Gas by ear off the 45 a year before that). I don't sing or play live, its just a good exercise for the fingers. If I do sing it I'll do my Dylan impression and play it at sort of fast Alice's Restaurant(another one I picked up by ear in my teens) cadence for yuks.

• Members

It's probably one of the first songs I remember learning, when I was around 16-17. I had an awesome high school teacher who wasn't the greatest in the traditional sense but a good guy to talk to, and he helped me get into guitar. I'd go to his classroom during a study period to practice, he'd let me borrow his acoustic which he eventually gave to me as a kind of graduation gift... just a nice guy.

Anyway, he was taking lessons and much further along when I started out, so he'd kind of hand down bits and pieces of what he was doing or into at the time. He would get into acoustic work a lot and "Blackbird" was a tune he must have figured out or whatever. I think I ended up picking it up better than he did - there was some question over which way to play some of the "chords" and I think I had it right, with the more chromatic movement. I never learned it so thoroughly that I'm sure I could play it verbatim off the record, so who knows.

I've never played out or anything, but it's a good tune that people recognize and enjoy. I could imagine that in the cover realm, it might get repetitive. I'd love to try and work out building it up into a more jazz-styled piece because that's what I enjoy. I know Brad Mehldau covered it, but haven't listened.

Archived