Fishman SA 220...yep! One more discussion on stick PA's!

rodclement

• Members

I am glad the knocks came up though because it sounds like if I were to try to mix in some piano I'd be sorely disappointed. Lack of bass is a complaint I all but ignore most of the time because usually it's made by people who don't value highs properly about fine sounding systems.

• Members

I don't think it is negativity...just honest opinions. I like mine for what it is. I spent several months looking for something that would handle the basics, get the sound, be easy to haul, easy to set up, easy to use...the SA220, (compared to the acoustic guitar amps on he market Fender, Fishman, Acoustic, SWR, Marshall, Genz, etc. and the Bose Compact) seemed to fit
my
needs.

John Bartus gigs his regularly, and he seems to like it.

It may not suit everyone.

It can't.

But for what it is, and what it does, I am happy with mine.

It is not going to work well in a noisy bar. I figured that out, but my goal is to not play in noisy bars.

The negativity seems to come from people who are using it for purposes other than intended, or own something else.
:wave:

Much like driving all sizes of nails with a 16# sledge-hammer, it's easier to use the right tool for the job...no such thing as a PA system that's right for ALL acts/gigs.

• Members

I like mine.

Truer mids that other "stick" PAs

If it's feeding back you're too close to it. If you can't get far enough away, you're playing in a small enough room that it should work fine unless your're trying to over amplify the room. These are acoustic solo gigs, the sound shouldn't "dominate" but be very present.

Guys quit bitching about the low end! Anytime you add a kick drum(live or recorded) you just upped the ante, and need a different rig for a different game.

As far as bass through it, I think your crazy or lazy! I'm a pro bassist primarily, and no PA alone sounds best without a bass amp(at least the front end of one)

So bring your own little combo and play.

Remember it's a small , one trip, PA/Amp for a singing gtr player.

• Members

These are acoustic solo gigs, the sound shouldn't "dominate" but be very present.

This could be another topic but I don't agree with that statement. I guess if we're sitting around playing Jack Johnson or James Taylor in a quiet setting, but that's not always the case. I'd say that over 75% of my gigs need some good solid volume.

• Members

Remember -- if you're just doing acoustic guitar and vocals, you can get some good solid volume out of the Fish Stick. If you're adding piano/keys, a bass, or a kick drum, the Fish Stick will not work. It was designed for the singing acoustic-electric guitar player -- nothing else!

The four-letter word company (Bose) has designed versions of its L1 & L2 systems to be more full range; Lee Flier has used them for years with her rock band, and they seem to work fine for her. But anytime you try and push something past its engineered specs, you'll get results like crappy sound or blown drivers. Today's PA technology is a wonderful thing... used responsibly!

;)

• Members

This could be another topic but I don't agree with that statement. I guess if we're sitting around playing Jack Johnson or James Taylor in a quiet setting, but that's not always the case. I'd say that over 75% of my gigs need some good solid volume.

Dude, that statement has to do with the feedback someone said he's got with it. I have to WORK at it to get my SA220 to feedback!

Once again, the typed word and missed nuances of those words, make a point harder to understand when it's made on a internet bb, than when it's made in a conversation.

• Members

Dude, that statement has to do with the feedback someone said he's got with it. I have to WORK at it to get my SA220 to feedback!

Once again, the typed word and missed nuances of those words, make a point harder to understand when it's made on a internet bb, than when it's made in a conversation.

Right on brother...I used to teach a lesson back in the day that described the "communication" process. The following are the approximate percentages for the entire communication process:

Words- 7%

Tone/pace- 38%

Body Language- 55%

No wonder nobody knows what the hell anyone is talking about on the internet- we're getting about 15% with emoticons ;)

• Members

I'm happy with mine. It sounds as if the OP's concern is whether the unit can be loud enough for his particular applications - that's a tough one to answer without trying one in those specific contexts. Maybe buy one from a vendor with a liberal return policy, and see how it does?

• Members

I've used a Fishman SA 220 at my solo gigs several times and have been very impressed with it. I'm a Chapman Stick player so I play some very low notes. No, the bass does not make your teeth rattle but it has a very pleasant and even frequency response. In fact the Fishman has become a lot of Stick players go-to-amps.

BTW the Bose unit was not pleasing to my ear at all. I used one with two subs for about a year of weekly gigs at a place I played. It always seemed to be lacking something no matter how I set it. Not a fan at all.

I'd say go with the Fishman.

• Members

I've played a couple of gigs on the fishman. THey aren't bad.

I also own a couple of prx612 and would much rather bring one of those and a 4ch. notebook mixer ... IMO, it sounds more solid and feels better when getting louder. While I liked the compactness of the packing that it had, I think that I could put the anvil case I carry all my crap in (whcih is big enough for a small mixer) on top of one and dolly it in and be just as happy with the load in.

That said, if I was given a choice between showing up and seeing a fishamn and bringing my own, I always take the fishman. It's not bad, I just wouldn't want to own one.

• Members

I've ordered the fishman unit and will report on my toughts once I've used it a couple of times.

Without going in circles to much, I would add that another huge positive for a stick system for me, is that it is non-impacting to the venue owners/managers/patrons. I have heard more than once, people complaining about volume before a band even starts playing just because the "speakers are so big".

The fishman would be for those kind of venues, the Country Club setting...the quieter, more intimate restaurant, the place where patrons arrive and immedialty ask to seat away from the band even before they are playing because visualy they already made a decision of how loud you will be even before they heard you...

The single stick pa creates the right visual impression, it is easy to set-up, easy to carry, and if it has suitable sound...well...one can only hope! :)

Rod

Archived