guilt

J.Paul

• Members

I've been pretty vocal in many posts about feeling that the servers and staff are our partners in the night .....

last night was supposed to be 8-12 but they shut me down at 10
(MTSU had rented the place)
They shut down the bar too (since the kids weren't old enough to drink)
and the server staff was cut off at the knees w/ a super short night.
On the other hand I got paid PLUS the tips I got were probably more than the entire staff got. I seriously considered splitting the tips w/ them. I feel slightly guilty, although my logic against it :

~it's a new venue for me. If I was a regular I would be more inclined to do it as a goodwill gesture to everyone's work environment.
~ I've never heard of staff splitting their tips w/ the entertainment before.

Some times you're the bug, Sometimes you're the windshield

• Members

it's usually the other way around where bartenders for YEARS in every bar I worked in did nothing and made anywhere for 2-10 times what I would make a night...I never saw that as right so if this happened to me for one night I would count it as a rare white buffalo event and walk with the cash..It's a rarity we make {censored} in this business compared. Sucks for them to have a bad night but hey man, we're all trying to make a living here and they will have many other nights and more regularly than most musicians. Just sayin..

• Members

You have no "investment" on the first gig so I agree with no sharing.

On the other hand if I got a big payday (paid 100% for 50% of the work) out of the blue at a place where A) I worked for years and B) the staff got dick on the same night I'd at least tip the staff something to keep the skids greased for the future.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by toddkuen View Post
You have no "investment" on the first gig so I agree with no sharing.

On the other hand if I got a big payday (paid 100% for 50% of the work) out of the blue at a place where A) I worked for years and B) the staff got dick on the same night I'd at least tip the staff something to keep the skids greased for the future.
yeah I feel the same

• Members

Once in a while, if the bar is having a really good night, the bartender might comp me a drink or two. However, the servers don't share with me, and don't have to buy thousands of dollars of gear either - so I tip my particular server but I would never "tip out".

Although I must say that after decades and decades of playing, this year I was working in a duo that played overtime on a very busy night in this big hotel lounge. The crowd was dancing and drinking and we went over almost by accident. At the end of the night one of the waiters bought us a drink. That was a first.

Archived