HELP! tired of buying new stands every summer!!

tinfish

• Members

it may be a little off topic, maybe not... i have several "on stage" and equivalent mic stands... and i find them a pain to deal with on a regular basis...

when i was a bit younger and touring , i remember using a very nice K&M for about 6 years and not once did it fail to do it's job... yeah, a bit heavier, but it was a great piece of equipment... my next stand will be a K&M with a telescoping boom... this base and stand with this boom...

505106.jpg154620.jpg

until then, i have been using an AKG c420 headset/wireless rig that i've been very happy with so far... and just one less cable and stand on stage... and i'm very tempted to try the countryman H6 D...

162925.jpg

focusedtechnology_2238_1016724329

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Voltan

View Post

it may be a little off topic, maybe not... i have several "on stage" and equivalent mic stands... and i find them a pain to deal with on a regular basis...

It's funny that GC or samash don't even stock atlas or hercules stands. It seems like everyone must be using the crap stands and don't realize how bad they suck since they've maybe never seen a real one.

I have hired a couple guys who have bought the Ultimate Support mic stand that has this squeeze clutch thing. I never really wanted to throw that kind of money at a stand that wasn't chrome.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cephus

View Post

It's funny that GC or samash don't even stock atlas or hercules stands. It seems like everyone must be using the crap stands and don't realize how bad they suck since they've maybe never seen a real one.

I have hired a couple guys who have bought the Ultimate Support mic stand that has this squeeze clutch thing. I never really wanted to throw that kind of money at a stand that wasn't chrome.

I think part of the problem is "where people shop". Most "music stores" aren't going to stock the same type of gear that you'll find in a dedicated "Pro-Sound & Light" store. Aside from product selection being more tailored to the working professional,,, prices are usually better too. They're used to selling PA packages, and bulk sales of cables, stands, mics, etc. Most music stores, work on single-unit pricing.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tinfish

View Post

I should also add that my idea of maintainence is tossing them in the back of the car. I'm usually busy lubricating myself on gigs........

Take care of your gear. Even quality gear will have a shortened life being tossed around. I don't handle my gear with kid gloves but I don't abuse it either. For my speakers (JBL PRX 612) I spent the extra money and bought the Studioslips clamshell covers (www.studioslips.com). After a lot of use you can't tell them apart from new ones. As far as the lubrication part, you will have to deal with that. smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Can we all be honest here??? I may get purged out of here but... Certain Big Box stores previously mentioned sell mainly to amateurs. Their average customer is just starting out and doesn't know good from better. Therefore they carry amateur tools, for the most part. every 4th product is pro quality,but in some categories they dont even offer gig-worthy products. For that audience..it won't matter. However when you get tired of taking an hour out of your day to return something to these folks. (times 2 or 3 times!!) .you may realize that nothing was really saved. In the end, you had a troublesome gig..maybe some think you look un-pro with that duct tape held-together mic stand...and it just wouldve been better to go with actual serious products from vendors that serve professionals. Think about it,

GtrGeorge

hope I dont get bounced for this.

• Moderators

We (I) don't don't ban people for their opinions...unless they are presented in such a way as to be offensive. So you are safe for now wink.gif

Buying cheap gear is, typically, a false economy, as you will wind up replacing it at a higher cost eventually. The plus side is that cheap gear does get you started in the game, and if you are smart and successful, you upgrade as you go along. Did anyone here start out with a Martin Herringbone, a Gibson ES335, a Gretsch Country Gentleman? No, obviously, we start out with low end gear and GAS up as we go. The scenario here is that the OP should be a) buying pro quality gear and b) taking better care of it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by daddymack

View Post

... Did anyone here start out with a Martin Herringbone, a Gibson ES335, a Gretsch Country Gentleman?...

I almost started with a 335 (lifeguarding money) but chose instead a Dobro model 66. It's 40 years old now and is still a wonderful wonderful guitar--one of two guitars I own.

freddyondobro.jpg

• Members

I'm on my 4th pair of speaker stands in the last 10 years. None of them actually fell apart. One pair has slightly bent legs but still works and I bought those used on Ebay. My newest pair are Ultimate and I bought them because there was a half off sale last year.

For mic stands, I liked the altas stands from the '70s. I think the best one I have now is a proline.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by daddymack

View Post

does the parakeet guano affect the tone?

It dries quickly and I either shake it out or use for percussion.

My biggest problem that way is when he leaves a fresh one on a drum head or piano key and I stick my hand into it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by pogo97 View Post

My biggest problem that way is when he leaves a fresh one on a drum head or piano key and I stick my hand into it.
May budgie poop be the biggest problem you face in your life. That would be a blessing. Mark C.

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by pogo97

View Post

ah, indeed, my cockatiel occasionally used to roll them across my guitar neck while I was soloing tongue.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Telecruiser

View Post

Take care of your gear. Even quality gear will have a shortened life being tossed around.

Right on. The fellas I gig with who have busted up stands and crappy cables are the ones whose cable bags are full of spaghetti and who tighten the {censored} out of their boom mic's and don't bother to loosen them before adjusting them, and wonder why the damn things tip over when the boom is extended horizontally as far as it will go. I know; that's a run on sentence. Same guys who show up fifteen minutes before a gig and can't get it together in time. Even if it's the cheap gear, it's often not the gear.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GtrGeorge!

View Post

Certain Big Box stores previously mentioned sell mainly to amateurs. Their average customer is just starting out and doesn't know good from better. Therefore they carry amateur tools, for the most part.

Yeah, I'm just going to have to go ahead and disagree with you. Sam ash and guitar center certainly do sell stuff to hobbyists. But it's not like that disqualifies them. They have 99% of what I'd buy online anyway and price match. Maybe I feel like your post incriminates me as an amateur because of where I buy my guitar strings. I might be little sensitive.

Gc or S.A. were more than happy to order the stand I wanted. They just don't stock it.

Archived