Non-paying "gigs".

RoadRanger

• Members

Just to give yous guys something else to grouse about wink.gif :

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/muc/3940891485.html

That's actually my ad. I had someone ask me where they could busk at and I've had that farmer's market in the back of my mind anyways. It's 8/10 of a mile from my place. None of the area farmer's markets have entertainment (most don't have room frown.gif) so I stopped by and offered to co-ordinate it for them. There's actually two different markets using that pavillion, one twice a week and one once a week so there's three dates a week there. Mondays there is room under the pavillion (great for tips smile.gif) but has to be kept WAY down, the other two days are usually outside on the grass near the entrance. I bring a generator and canopy if needed - there is plenty of shade but it rained a bit last Thursday :smileyfrustrated:.

So, let the flamefest commence biggrin.gif.

• Members

If you load up the talent with lots of good fresh fruit & veggies, feed them and supply refresments,  also heavily promote them to drive people to the tip jar and, of course, allow them to sell product. Also, don't skimp on the quantities of produce unless the entertainers don't want much.

With those provisos I wouldn't have a problem with it.

• Members

daklander wrote:

If you load up the talent with lots of good fresh fruit & veggies, feed them and supply refresments,  also heavily promote them to drive people to the tip jar and, of course, allow them to sell product. Also, don't skimp on the quantities of produce unless the entertainers don't want much.

With those provisos I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Well, of course I don't have a lot to say about all that - I'm just a volunteer (AKA sucker facepalm.gif) facilitating and not connected with the farmer's markets. There might be some funding available for the Saturday market entertainment but that's still being looked at (that group is affiliated with the town). My POV is this is a chance for the "open mic" crowd to play. I hate to use the "exposure" word (and purposely didn't in the ads) but it is what it is :smileyfrustrated:. There's no extra business for the market being generated so far - in fact the Thursday and Saturday markets are already having traffic issues. I'm trying to concentrate on the Monday market but of course folks would rather play the busier (Thursday) and more convenient (Saturday) hours :smileyfrustrated: even though the tips are better on Mondays. That picture in the ad is from the first Monday we played.

• Members

This looks like more of a busking opportunity with PA supplied. 

Small owner operated farming is a physically and financially tough job.  As long as the musicians realize it's basically organized busking, with perks, it doesn't seem so bad to me.

It might be said that busking is just free enterprise. For example - Vancouver BC allows,and has auditions, for buskers to play in the Skytrain stations (aka subway). There's no way the publicly owned transit system would ever pay musicians to perform, but they will allow them (for a small licensing fee) to play for tips. Some of these performers are pretty good.

Archived