Time for Another 'Post Your Rack' Thread...

• Members

here's mine:

RackCab.jpg

8-space heavy wooden carpeted rack (yuck):

Juice Goose power supply

ART SGX T2 for delay effects only

Ross stereo eQ

Lexicon LXP-1 reverb

Presonus Blue Max Compressor

Carvin Quad-X pre-amp(JJ tubes)

Mesa 20/20 power amp(JJ tubes)

Jenkins JSS212 2x12 cab with Webers.

All connections are with GeorgeL red cable with Neutrik NP2C plugs.

I know, my entire rack screams '80's, but hey, that's when I bought most of the stuff...once you get married, it is SO hard to get new gear.

• Members

In my 8u SKB rack I have the following:

2 space rack drawer

Furman PL-8 Plus Power Conditioner

Korg DTR-2000 tuner

AKG SR40 wireless receiver

Tech 21 Trademark 300

As you can see, it's small, but it gets the job done. And it sounds great too. I may end up racking the few pedals I use since I do have a bit of space left. Or I may get an eq to fill that space. I have my amp going through two Avatar 4x12's, each with 2 V30's and 2 G12's in an 'x' pattern.

• Members

Originally posted by Lockjaw

Tom Manning, how do you think the quad compares with other mesa preamps?

Well I haven't had a chance to compare it first hand (only through from I've heard of other people using it) but everyone I know who owns a Quad prefers it to the Triaxis. It is less compressed and less sterile. In terms of pure tone it is better but the Triaxis is probably a better bet if you want all that versatility (not that the Quad's 4 channels plus 2 EQ's don't make it versatile ;))

• Members

Here's my 6HE, well, how it was untill this past weekend :D

Rack.jpg

Over the weekend I changed a bunch of things. Haven't taken a new pic yet but will soon. Now the rack goes as follows from top to bottom:

TC G-Major

Boss GX-700

Kitty Hawk Midi Looper

Rackplate with Engl midi-interface, TS-10 and Arion SCH-1

Furman AR-2306

Took the Gemini and the wireless out and they are going into a 2HE because I only need those for (bigger) gigs.

• 12 years later...
  • Members

Please excuse the vel-cro.

Missing is FMR RNC. It sits next to the FMR RNLA. My group out compressors are the RNC and the Meek MC2. I think the best little box of them all is the 90's era VC3. It's the vocal compressor. That and the circa 1989 Kawai K1R are the two classics I'll never get rid of. One of the C2's compresses the pedals. The other -I don't know what I do w/it.

This rack case is REALLY heavy.

rack_2a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Line 6 Relay G90 Digital wireless

Line 6 HD Pro,

Furman M-8Dx Power Conditioner

BBE 428i Sonic Maximiser

Carvin DCM200L 1U Power Amp

Controlled by a Line 6 Floor Board, and connected to 2 Carvin 300AGE Speakers 3 way w/ 12" woofer

What I really love about this setup is I can set it up in less than 2 minutes, its very light and sounds amazing.. I meticulously programed the patches and the sheer variety of sounds makes this the best setup I have ever had. Plus no wires! Just one single thin flat Ethernet cable to the floorboard from the rack.

• Members
Very nice. :) I've got a couple of VC3Qs. How do you like those Joemeek C2's and how does the newer MC3 compare to them?

The MC2 has a stereo width control, which is handy. It's cleaner, more quiet than the C2's. It has the JoeMeek squash, but it's not as in-your-face as the C2. If you can find a quiet C2, it will really add color to the squash. At its best, it sounds to me like the old VC3's set to the max on vocals. I never use the enhancers. I don't think they help. But the compression on the VC3 is always the sound I want.

If you've got an RNC and a C2, you've got stereo compression covered IMO. Low prices too. I'd like to pick up a new 90's era VC3. I'm always on the look-out...for a K1r too.

One C2 I use for foot-pedal compression. The other is a spare, or I use for guest instruments. All the rack's output goes through either the MC2

if I want color or the RNC if I don't. I can use them in tandem or

discretely.

One thing about the MC2, Ted Fletcher sold JoeMeek equipment div.,

to Alan Hyatt. A Fletcher MC2 looks just like a Hyatt MC2. But they

are different devices with different tonal qualities. I've got a Fletcher-era model.

I'll take the MC2 on mellower arrangements. I'd take the RNC for

louder arrangements and back-up vocals. For odd-ball solos and some odd mixes, I'd use the RNLA. All three are mixdown stereo compressors. I use the MC2 the most.

• Members

I don't know what an 1156 is. Faster how? Attack? Release?

In most things I'm not known as an Anglophile. But I definitely like octo-compression. I don't know for certain, I think Joe Meek invented it w/a flashlight bulb. Or is that an urban myth? My Yamaha board has compression channels too. So I probably have more compressors than I can use.

Joe Meek's'Telstar', Raymond Lefevre's 'Âme câline', Mauriat's 'Love in Every Room', processed through mono compressors and played through a car radio,that's exciting music per se for me.

I don't know how to post videos w/HC 2.0. So for any who wants an orchestral jolt of Lefevre, here he is.

I don't know what an 1156 is. Faster how? Attack? Release?

Yeah, an 1176 is extremely fast all the way around. Unlike a LA-2A, you have attack and release controls, so it's user-adjustable. It is also a FET compressor, and they respond considerably faster than the opto-isolators in opto-compressors.

In most things I'm not known as an Anglophile. But I definitely like octo-compression. I don't know for certain, I think Joe Meek invented it w/a flashlight bulb. Or is that an urban myth?

Yeah, that's a myth. The first opto-compressor that I am aware of was the Teletronix LA-1, which later developed into the LA-2 and then the world-famous LA-2A. The guy who invented / developed it (Jim Lawrence) was a USC trained engineer who worked on missile systems for JPL, and the idea for using an optical element developed out of his work there.

My Yamaha board has compression channels too. So I probably have more compressors than I can use.

Which Yamaha board are you using? Does it have those single knob compressors on it? I like them for live, but I tend to want something with a little more control in the studio.

Archived