recomend (cheap!) speakers to go with behringer pmx2000

• Members

Originally posted by drswm

I'm very poor and I'm trying to get my first PA for rehersals... I've got about $100 to spend on each speaker. help a kid out?

How about $200 on one decent speaker? Someone has mentioned a Community monitor MVP (?) something or other around the $200 range. Someone will come along ang give the Model #. It will be something you can still use if/when you upgrade.

• Members

I got the PMX2000 as a learner mixer and for vocals in band practices. I chose to go with some monitor wedges as opposed to the mains. You will definitely use the wedges in the future (unless you buy total crap, of course). If you get awesome speakers in the future, once you are ready to go out and play, you will likely toss the old ones and still have to buy monitor wedges.

• Members

Originally posted by KipH

I got the PMX2000 as a learner mixer and for vocals in band practices. I chose to go with some monitor wedges as opposed to the mains. You will definitely use the wedges in the future (unless you buy total crap, of course). If you get awesome speakers in the future, once you are ready to go out and play, you will likely toss the old ones and still have to buy monitor wedges.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I have a PMX-2000 also (bought it for rehearsals and for a "vocal-PA" for smaller gigs), and I'm using our JBL wedge monitors with it. Like KipH wrote, you'll probably always want to keep your wedges, even if you decide to buy a bigger system later. If I were you, I'd be looking for some used Yamaha or JBL wedges in good condition, rather than buying some really inexpensive (cheapo) wedges. The PMX-2000 is a great compact powered mixer for the money IMHO, and you'll be much happier with the sound if you get some decent speakers to go with it. :)

• Members

I'll vouch for the Community MVP28s.

They've handled a stupid sound tech running a K2 bridged into them, an overnight soaking in rainwater, countless feedback roars, and general abuse.

They are still structurally sound, no carpet peeling. The tweeter and woofer are still good.

They're tough. They don't sound bad at all for the price; but the only hangup is the 150w RMS handling. I usually throw around 300w at each of them with no problems though.

I agree - get monitors. If you buy mons. now, you can use them later. Not so for cheap mains.

• Members

thanks for all the help. what cheap monitors should I get then? I'm looking on musician's friend so if you could post a link to the page for them it would be great... because I'm not even sure about what will work and what will blow.

• Members

Originally posted by jlamores

Please, help me. Would the Yamahas s12e be decent to play electric pianos a

synths?

Will they have any problem because they are only 125W RMS and the Behringer amp is 180W?.

Thanks for the help.

IMHO, it looks like there would be no problem powerhandling-wise, as the Yamaha s12e is specified at 250w program. As far as running keys through it, I would think they'd work fine. And since they're also spec'd at 8 ohms, you could run four of them; two per side in a stereo configuration without monitors (or aim two at you, two at the audience), or run a pair for a mono front end and a dedicated single channel two cabinet monitor system. Enjoy!;)

• Members
Originally posted by jlamores

Please, help me. Would the Yamahas s12e be decent to play electric pianos a

synths?

Will they have any problem because they are only 125W RMS and the Behringer amp is 180W?.

Thanks for the help.

MF sells the Nady MC12's for $299/pair. They are decent,much better than the low end Nady stuff. You might want to look used also. Ebay usually has about 4-5 pages of monitors. I bought a pair of Celestions there that were just like new for about $150/pair(under $200 shipped) They are pretty decent quality with birch ply construction. Keep your eyes open.

• 16 years later...
  • Members

If you are poor now you shall remain so by cutting corners on your gear. That PA has a lot of power and will fry any cheap speakers. I built my own cabs and purchased Eminence bass amp speakers and Altec horns and crossovers. Everything still works but the cabs were rattling since I did  not use thick enough particle board, should have used MDF.

I use the PA mostly connected to my PC and inputs (stereo) of the PA and that is my sound system at home. I once hooked a name brand but budget monitors to the PA on Independence Day to hear Jimi's Star Spangled Banner. I cranked it. I kid you not by the time the song was done the monitors had caught fire inside. The plastic tweeter horns had melted also! I never could unplug one of the cables to an input jack either...

• Members
On 9/3/2020 at 1:00 AM, FXWG84 said:

If you are poor now you shall remain so by cutting corners on your gear. That PA has a lot of power and will fry any cheap speakers. I built my own cabs and purchased Eminence bass amp speakers and Altec horns and crossovers. Everything still works but the cabs were rattling since I did  not use thick enough particle board, should have used MDF.

I use the PA mostly connected to my PC and inputs (stereo) of the PA and that is my sound system at home. I once hooked a name brand but budget monitors to the PA on Independence Day to hear Jimi's Star Spangled Banner. I cranked it. I kid you not by the time the song was done the monitors had caught fire inside. The plastic tweeter horns had melted also! I never could unplug one of the cables to an input jack either...

In all fairness this post is from 2003. I kind of doubt the person who made this post still has this issue.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

And FXWG84 will remain poor because only somebody who is either poor or not educated in what barely "good" is would even consider particle board or MDR... both of which are below the bottom of the barrel. I find it ironic that you are giving advice on not cutting corners.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

pmx2000250watts into4 ohm stereo
180watts into 8 ohms  stereo
https://www.americanmusical.com/itemfiles/Manual/behringer/behpmx2000_manual.pdf
for a bsand pactice pa well it depends on what type of music you play blue s pop rock  metal assuming you sing and want to be heard overtop of the drums electric guitars keyboards
also depends on how big guitar and keyboard amps are
lets assume a 74watt max amp  scoustic drums not miced and assume your voice is in the mix of instruments  better gear costs more start out with behringer speakers then a couple of steps upp isPeavey good durable bar band gig level gear
also depends on ehere you are going to leave the gear  at a bar
  read the pmx2000 manual carefully  

or friends practice room  hopefully a safe place for the gear also note vocal intensive music with the vocals out front in the mix implies better speakers  you mite be able to just barely squeak by with a par of 100 dollar each  speaker if the guitar and key board amps are 10  to 25watts an un miced acoustic drumsand your not doing heavey metal not you can plsy keys ang guitar and vocals all into the pmx mite consider a hand held condenser mic look at phantom power specs in pmx manual

Archived