my new P.A. system

• Members

Don't you think that before buying your system for your own "live sound team" you should actually know how to use a PA first? And you said "complete", but you didn't include monitors, EQ's, processing, cases, cables, mics, stands, cords, power, etc. And why 2 tops and 2 subs per side, but only a 16 channel board? And what's the budget? And purpose/requirements? A little more detail would be nice, unless you want to get a recommendation for a really expensive system.

• Members

I'm at the point where I've spent about $6k for a system that's workable, yet I'm still at least $4k away from my goal for something "passable". It's my first time investing in a system, and let me tell you: if you want to take having your own sound system seriously, be prepared to not only spend serious amounts of your hard earned cash, but to read & study & work & listen. Yeah, I'm only 21 and maybe I wouldn't rush into things so wrecklessly if I could do it over again, but I've learned that SR is a very very "technical" profession (at least much more technical than I ever imagined, let me tell you, I'm very happy I got through trig and basic physics in high school). After dumping my savings into the system and running it for a few gigs, I've realized I have a TON of reading and learning to do. It's not as simple as spend 10k and you have a banging sound system, it takes a lot of dedication to the books. I got the false impression that it would all be easy, all because I could pull it off in high school with a powered mixer, a couple of mains and monitors. Anyway, my point is that you should pick up a few books about SR just to see what you're really getting into BEFORE you spend all your money.

Something very helpful that I read from this forum sugessted to get a job with the local sound company through my college's department that throw's the live events. That's exactly what I did, and I'm now officially employed by the sound/lighting company. It's hard work, but I not only get paid well, but get innvaluble advice and experience from the other guys. I've also been reading Yamaha's Sound Reinforcement Handbook, which has been extremely informative and helpful.

As far your question about equipment, both the mixwhiz and QSC RMX are great buys. Remember that while the RMX line are great performers, they are pretty darn heavy. They range from 35-45 lbs each. When compared to their PLX line, that's really friggn' heavy (the PLX's are 19-21 lbs each.). Try and go used on the PLX, CX, or Powerlite's. Just FYI, I got a new CX902 (similar the PLX 3002) for $550 on eBay. For cabling, go with www.audiopile.net. For mics, go to http://www.northernsound.net. Hope this helps.

• Members

Originally posted by B. Adams

Don't you think that before buying your system for your own "live sound team" you should actually know how to use a PA first? And you said "complete", but you didn't include monitors, EQ's, processing, cases, cables, mics, stands, cords, power, etc. And why 2 tops and 2 subs per side, but only a 16 channel board? And what's the budget? And purpose/requirements? A little more detail would be nice, unless you want to get a recommendation for a really expensive system.

hey ! relax , don

• Members

Originally posted by _RiseInside_

the purpose is live sound reinforcement in metal/rock/hardcore shows with 500 people , the most

RI,

Here we go again. A typical design load factor (and the factor usually used by Fire Officials in determing the capacity of a room) for people seated at tables is 15 s.f/person, multiplied by 500 is, well, let's just say it's a big-a$$ room. And that's not even considering space dedicated for things like a dance floor, pool tables, the bar, etc. For the size of venue and style of music you've described your budget is unrealistic unless only about 50 of your venue patrons are actually interested in listening/experiencing the music. You should read the "How Much Should a PA Cost" thread.

D

• Members

4 x Yorkville LS800P subs (1500 watts each, self powered) $3600

4 x Yorkville EF500P tops (800 watts each, self powered) $3600

The subs and tops have built in DSP so no external gadgetry required.

dbx 1231 2x31 eq $300

MixWiz 16:2 DX $1000

Presonus ACP-88 8 x comp/gate $750

TC Electronics M300 effects $300

Go in-ear for monitors if you can. Cheaper and better sound. If not, $2,000 for a decent 4 wedge setup.

Add $2,000 for all the other stuff (mics, stands, cables, DI's, cases, etc...)

You could blow the heads off of at least 500 people with that rig (I have a similar setup, but only 2 tops and 2 subs).

It'll cost ya about $15,000. Funny how that number keeps poppin' up.

Tom

• Members

You know, you asked for opinions and you got some good advice about considering the size of the room... especially considering the style of music you plan to do. Depending on your (and your audiences) expectations, 4 tops and 4 subs may not be adequate. Some of us here have an awful lot of experience in the pro audio area... the questions we ask and the comments we make (even if you don't agree) are in the conext of situations we have seen, both good and bad.

So... you come back with this attitude?

Speaking of speaker placement there are more places to put speakers other than on a stage... I can think of one specifically...;)

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

And myself,I have no idea how much money that is that you posted.

That is the symbol for the Euro, which is now the currency of the entire European Union. Currently, one Euro equals 1.22 U.S. dollars.

• Members
Originally posted by Kennykeys

That is the symbol for the Euro, which is now the currency of the entire European Union. Currently, one Euro equals 1.22 U.S. dollars.

NTL,even knowing that,I still can't assume that something that sells for XXX$ in the US would sell for the equivolent where the poster is located.

Archived