my new P.A. system

• Members

Originally posted by _RiseInside_

I would like to buy like 4 tops plus 4 subs but how do i manage to get the whole thing running at the same time. Is it with a crossover right ?

Sorry, but when somebody wants to spend a few thousand dollars on PA gear, but doesn't even know what a crossover does, it seems to me like they need to learn a little more before asking what they should spend their money on. And if a person wants to "start a live sound team" with the system, I would expect that they at least know what basic system components do. But maybe that's just me.

It also seems to me like the single amp he was talking about buying for 800

• Members
Originally posted by B. Adams

Sorry, but when somebody wants to spend a few thousand dollars on PA gear, but doesn't even know what a crossover does, it seems to me like they need to learn a little more before asking what they should spend their money on. And if a person wants to "start a live sound team" with the system, I would expect that they at least know what basic system components do. But maybe that's just me.

It also seems to me like the single amp he was talking about buying for 800

• Members

Originally posted by Zeromus-X

Looks like you got answers to me!

SteelyD2
was
answering your question, but he was pointing out something most people don't realize -- a 500 capacity club is HUGE. Using 15 sqft/p, multiplied by 500, that gives you about a 7500 square foot room. Do you realize how big that is?

It was said here a few weeks ago that people often exaggerate their numbers. If a band can draw 500 people regularly, they should be on a major label, period. It's easy to look out at the bar and see a hundred and fifty people and think it's twice that -- 150 people looks like a ton of people!

If you really do need a PA for 500 people, you need to look higher. All we're saying is that you probably don't need that big of coverage. The local 1450 capacity venue here has eight L' Acoustics V-DOSC cabinets, four L'Acoustics 2B218 subs, and eight QSC Powerlight 6.0 amplifiers. Just one of those poweramps almost pushes the entire budget you listed for the whole system, and those cabinets are what, three times your budget each? Yes, it's triple the capacity you mentioned, but the floor holds 750 people... and that's not much more than your estimates.

about the questions:

1 - It was me who mentioned the 800 for the amp. in the first place

2 - Driverack. still haven

• Members

You have to realise that in this place you will not get super specific answers as certain tools are great in one situation but in others will just not work that well. So while the RMX will power certain cabs well if you are looking to power lots of cabs from the one amp it may not handle it too well. I am by no means a sound tech but i have enough basic knowledge to get me by.

I will attempt to answer your questions

#1-mixer: everybody says nice things about the allen & heath mix wiz 16:2dx. Is there some other option ??

Yes people do say nice things and i'm sure some will say bad things. For 1500 i ma sure there are many different choices to be had. they will however depend on your requirements e.g how many monitor mixes will you need you state 4 monitors but do these all need different mixes. will you need more than one subgroup. Will you need to mic drums if so will you need more inputs or not. these are things you need to look at and i'm sure if you come back with lots of specifics people (more experienced than me) can suggest products that will suit.

I will handle these two together as they are very much related unless i am very much mistaken

#2+#3-amp: the qsc rmx series is pretty nice. any other suggestion ??? speakers: that

• Members

Running 4 tops and 4 subs per side will take a few amps, it depends on what you want to do with them and how big they are. If you want to bi-amp or tri-amp, you're looking at a more complex crossover system, and more amps. RMX are solid amps, but very heavy.

The new MixWiz would work pretty well, the old model might be a little limiting. Why a small rack mixer though? A bigger board would give you more flexibility, although it would cost more. The Crest XR-20 is a very nice rack mixer, but costs a little more than a MixWiz. Mackie also is introducing a new 16 channel mixer, Onyx something or other, that might be OK, if you can get over the fact that it's Mackie.

If you know what you're doing, a Driverack can help you run your system, if you don't know what you're doing a Driverack can help you blow it up. A lot of people prefer the DR-260 over the DR-PA. You could also look at the 480 if you want a larger crossover system.

What brands of speakers are available where you're at? You've never mentioned what's around, what it costs. The system you seem to want is going to require a bit of cash, probably more that you'd like, and you better be prepared for that. You said about 5,000

• Members
Originally posted by tlbonehead

Note that until your rude response to Steeley's post,everything went ok. His post didn't cause the downturn,your response to it did.

everything is going ok now.

can you forget about the past so we manage to carry on with this helpful topic ?

please....;)

• Members
Originally posted by B. Adams

Running 4 tops and 4 subs per side will take a few amps, it depends on what you want to do with them and how big they are. If you want to bi-amp or tri-amp, you're looking at a more complex crossover system, and more amps. RMX are solid amps, but very heavy.

The new MixWiz would work pretty well, the old model might be a little limiting. Why a small rack mixer though? A bigger board would give you more flexibility, although it would cost more. The Crest XR-20 is a very nice rack mixer, but costs a little more than a MixWiz. Mackie also is introducing a new 16 channel mixer, Onyx something or other, that might be OK, if you can get over the fact that it's Mackie.

If you know what you're doing, a Driverack can help you run your system, if you don't know what you're doing a Driverack can help you blow it up. A lot of people prefer the DR-260 over the DR-PA. You could also look at the 480 if you want a larger crossover system.

What brands of speakers are available where you're at? You've never mentioned what's around, what it costs. The system you seem to want is going to require a bit of cash, probably more that you'd like, and you better be prepared for that. You said about 5,000

• Members

I'm not a big fan of Mackie 1530's. If I were going to use Mackie, I'd go with 1521's. EV makes nice stuff, and I've heard good things about DAS. JBL is kind of the standard, but I think you can do better for the price. I've always thought of Cerwin-Vega as being geared more toward DJ's, but I could be wrong.

I don't know exactly what to recommend, but check the specs on the stuff you're looking at, and you should be able to find the best ones. If you can, find some that you can A-B with each other, and find out what actually sounds good.

Archived