Anyone heard of a company called Cross Audio?

• Members

If you are referring to the cabinets being offered on ebay, no those are total junk from the plastic jack plates to the piezos. This would be about as low as you get on the speaker totem pole.

In general, if it mentions "DJ" in the ad, it's probably made from the cheapest thing that will hold a rectangular shape with the cheapest components that will actually produce some kind of sound.

"try one today"? - Are we selling speakers or sandwiches?:rolleyes:

• CMS Author

Originally posted by abzurd

If you are referring to the cabinets being offered on ebay, no those are total junk from the plastic jack plates to the piezos. This would be about as low as you get on the speaker totem pole.

In general, if it mentions "DJ" in the ad, it's probably made from the cheapest thing that will hold a rectangular shape with the cheapest components that will actually produce some kind of sound.

"try one today"? - Are we selling speakers or sandwiches?
:rolleyes:

You have to try one today. It won't be working tomorrow.

• Members

"try one today"? - Are we selling speakers or sandwiches?
:rolleyes:

:D LMAO

That's what I figured. The reason I got looking into it was because some guy was trying to sell a pair of speakers locally for $500 CDN that supposedly have an $800 price tag on them. So I went to eBay and found I could get brand new ones shipped to my door for about $325 CDN... which I figured is way too low for new equipment that is supposed to be decent quality. Thanks for chiming in.

• Members

The MVP series (borrowed from Community) looks to be much better, but also pricier and I only saw a dual 15" cab on ebay. Even if that series was "ok" at the price point there's no reason to depart from Yamaha, Community, Sonic and other well known and respected MI cabinet makers. Undoubtedly the name brands will be backed much better should there be an issue down the road.

• Members

Bassknave used to rave about the Community MVP 15/horn monitor wedge. I see that one and the 12" version sell for $200-$300 all over the net.

Something interesting - does anyone remember Speakerhole? I guess they found something even cheaper to build cabinets out of than low grade particle board. A couple dudes on Talkbass.com bought the 1x18 cab that sold for like $75 on speakerhole. From their reports the thing was made of hardboard. Yep, good old hardboard, usually punched full of holes and hung on the wall to give you a place to hang tools.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by J.

Something interesting - does anyone remember Speakerhole? I guess they found something even cheaper to build cabinets out of than low grade particle board. A couple dudes on Talkbass.com bought the 1x18 cab that sold for like $75 on speakerhole. From their reports the thing was made of hardboard. Yep, good old hardboard, usually punched full of holes and hung on the wall to give you a place to hang tools.

I've seen a wave of off-shore speaker cabinets coming in that appear to be made of highly compressed, processed cardboard. It kind-of looks like hardboard (masonite) but I've found bits and pieces of flakes in the material that has printing on it. The stuff is generally fairly thick, like 1/2" and 3/4". It sops up water and falls apart just like cardboard, and the cabinets will split open like an over-rip watermelon if dropped from any distance of more than a couple of inches.

I wonder what's next? Adobe (mud, straw, and cow-poo) speaker cabinets?

Oh... and some of these cardboard speaker cabinets were loaded with plastic basket cone drivers... "pro audio" though.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Unalaska

Plastic Cones? Really? wow, someone is going out of their way not to build stamped frame baskets...

p

Pete: They were being promoted as "lightweight" CAST FRAME drivers... cutting edge technology! Step right up!

• Members

Originally posted by Audiopile

I've seen a wave of off-shore speaker cabinets coming in that appear to be made of highly compressed, processed cardboard. It kind-of looks like hardboard (masonite) but I've found bits and pieces of flakes in the material that has printing on it. The stuff is generally fairly thick, like 1/2" and 3/4". It sops up water and falls apart just like cardboard, and the cabinets will split open like an over-rip watermelon if dropped from any distance of more than a couple of inches.

I wonder what's next? Adobe (mud, straw, and cow-poo) speaker cabinets?

Oh... and some of these cardboard speaker cabinets were loaded with plastic basket cone drivers... "pro audio" though.

Your idea to take dump in a shoe box, spray paint it black and put a 1/4" on it is looking better all the time.

Guest Anonymous

The OEM car speakers in my Subaru WRX are plastic basket.

That must be the new lightweight pro-audio Subaru. Does it have an XLR connector somewhere and a rack-mount panel or rack handles?:D

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by J.

Your idea to take dump in a shoe box, spray paint it black and put a 1/4" on it is looking better all the time.

Hummm... I thought I only muttered that under my breath during a moment of frustration. Well... good thing I didn't write what I was REALLY thinking.

This business never ceases to amaze me... at both ends of the spectrum. Definately worth the price of admission for the show.:)

Guest Anonymous

Well... I'm waiting for the day that "pro audio gear" is given away as free prizes in Cracker-Jack boxes. I dunno... maybe it already is... I just haven't checked.

Some of this stuff on the market... well... I bought a couple dumptruck loads of gravel for my driveway this summer. I gotta think there's "pro audio" mics and speakers available that might have been cheaper by the ton than the gravel I bought. Maybe next year, after the spring thaw... if anyone finds something that will grade and compact well for driveway gravel, and is cheaper than the $25 a yard I'm paying for gravel... lemme know.:D

Right now I'm considering used cell phones.

• Members

I think you guys are grossly underestimateing the potential for adobe speaker cabinets. Reinforced with steel poles they could be jsut the thing for nightclubs in earthquake prone areas.

And when people complain "hey they sound like crap" they can hardly be surprised.

Archived