Do you guys use outboard mic pres when playing live?

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Hell, I haven't even used the couple of mic pre's that I designed, for any live application. No noticeable improvement

My, what a spiffing endorsement of ones own craftsmanship :p:D

Steve.

• Members

Originally posted by Dark Ice

My, what a spiffing endorsement of ones own craftsmanship
:p:D

Steve.

Nah... the differences between mic pre's is vastly overstated by the various marketing departments. If it is sexy and has high profit margins then it's an easy mark to pimp to the gullible public.

• Members

I provide a pa once in a while for a band who's BE always insists on using a Manley tube mic pre on the singer. I can't hear any real difference in the vocal quality, but thats his business. If it makes him more comfortable mixing, more power to him, lol. Personally, I can't justify the risk of taking out a $2500 tube mic pre and using it in a small bar or club. Besides, the band is a small local country band... and she isn't that good of a singer anyway :D

• Members

Originally posted by ATOMICDOG1

I provide a pa once in a while for a band who's BE always insists on using a Manley tube mic pre on the singer. I can't hear any real difference in the vocal quality, but thats his business. If it makes him more comfortable mixing, more power to him, lol. Personally, I can't justify the risk of taking out a $2500 tube mic pre and using it in a small bar or club. Besides, the band is a small local country band... and she isn't that good of a singer anyway
:D

$2,500 would provide for a lot of vocal lessons for the singer and THAT will result in a noticeable improvement, though not as easy as buying a piece of gear!

• Members

$2,500 would provide for a lot of vocal lessons for the singer and THAT will result in a noticeable improvement, though not as easy as buying a piece of gear!

Especially since the spendy piece of gear in this case provides no real benefit that I can hear.

• Members

Lately I've gone bananas at this philosophy. It's so bad, I've almost lost all my GAS and I'm starting to feel uncomfortable with this new trend of mine. I've been buying instruction books and DVD's and training software and all kinds of self-improvement stuff and I often practice vocals up to 3-4 hours a day + guitar. I keep arresting myself going "no big deal" when I could see big opportunities in upgrading gear. In fact is just as bad as GAS, and I keep spending a H*llowa lot of money too...

• Members

http://www.midasconsoles.com/midas03/xl42.htm

he Midas XL42 is a 1U rack mounting, dual channel creative equaliser incorporating the XL4 four-band parametric equalisaton with XL4 mic/line pre-amplifiers and 48v phantom supply.

Each channel has input, output and pan rotary controls, 10 segment LED metering plus a switchable insert send and return point, plus DIP switches to enable automute scene control from the automute masters of XL consoles.

The purpose of this ingenious device is threefold: firstly to improve the audio quality of an inferior console by adding Midas EQ to the selected programme; secondly to create custom mixing consoles through the ability to daisy-chain multiple units. When linked together, the combined outputs will sum, producing discrete L&R channels.

Finally, if a production requires, for example, 10 channels more than the input capacity of the master console, five XL42's can be fitted in a standard rack together with any required dynamic processing, which can be inserted via the XL42's insert points, thus creating a custom 10 into 2 mixer via the output daisy chain feature

The resulting L&R outputs may then be routed to the master console via any convenient point i.e. a pair of aux returns, group inputs, matrix inputs etc.

As a stand-alone unit, the XL42 is ideally suited to applications requiring a high quality front end, such as stereo recording etc.

Archived