PA speaker question

• Members
Originally posted by fretmess

Why do most PA speakers have only two drivers? Is there any advantage to using a mid range with the high frequency horn and the proper crossover for three drivers?

yOU CAN'T JUST SAY "three-way speakers will be better than two-way". All things being equal,it should be better. But a high quality 2-way with the right components is certainly better than a so-so 3-way.

• Members

There are proper tools for each job. Sometimes it's 2 way, sometimes it's 3 way depending on a lot of things including efficiency, power level, directionality, size etc.

As far as a 3 way catagorically being better than a 2 way is completely false. A good 2 way will be better than an average 3 way etc.

A good 3 way way or may not be better than a good 2 way depending on the above factors.

• Members

Hey guys I said an opinon and I'm know expert on this topic I nerver said that 3-ways are better it just an exprience I had once using a pair of 3-ways against my Fender 2-ways. I don't have the luxury of comparing 2-ways against 3-ways it's only my sole opinon about the 3-ways against my 2-way fender's and the results where overwhelming against my 2-ways. And from what I'ved learned from here my fender's suck.:(

• Members

The only thing you can say for sure is that a better speaker will sound better than a less better speaker ;)

Theoretically a single full frequency speaker should sound the best ... no crossovers to screw up frequency response and phase. Unfortunately that speaker doesn't exist.

• Members

Originally posted by dboomer

Theoretically a single full frequency speaker should sound the best ... no crossovers to screw up frequency response and phase. Unfortunately that speaker doesn't exist.

Though Tannoy had a lot invested in it;)

Archived