What do you use for playing CDs on PA?

• Members

A 1 rack space CD players seems like a good idea but initial searches aren't turning up anything but CD mixers and DJ style dual decks (and they're pricy). Am I looking in the wrong places or are portable decks not really that common? Something like a walkman should work in theory but doesn't seem practical or cool somehow.

• Members
Originally posted by id-man

A 1 rack space CD players seems like a good idea but initial searches aren't turning up anything but CD mixers and DJ style dual decks (and they're pricy). Am I looking in the wrong places or are portable decks not really that common? Something like a walkman should work in theory but doesn't seem practical or cool somehow.

The only singlt space model I know of is the Sony and they are pretty pricey. I use a 2-space Tascam that cost me about $200.

• Members

Originally posted by ctardi

Don't forget that you can also rack mount a cd player that happens to be the right width. We have a couple of rack mount shelves that the cd and md players bolt to. Quite handy really.

There's a clever idea, thanks. The home deck I use now is narrow enough to fit on a rack shelf.

Last night I ran across a group of listings on ebay for 4-space rackmount decks where the drives and controls as separate units. Are either of these contenders? They look cool but I noticed that some players have things like variable PITCH control or triple beam lasers - I don't know what the significance of those are. What features or specs should I be looking for to tell me if a particular player is going to perform with fewer hangups?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7333530020&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7332814527&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Singin' Dave

+1, though I just received a mini iPod as a gift from my bassist Sunday, so that may replace it. Really had no problems with it and it fits right into my backpack w/ my guitar strap, cables, pedals etc.

I still pack the CD player mostly to accomodate the backing track requests, although cassettes are still surprisingly common for backing tracks. I don't pack the cassette player anymore unless it's been fronted for the gig, or if I know I'm going to be hit with cassettes. I still get a few requests for DATs. At least nobody hits me with tin drum recordings.

• Members

I just use a battery-powered walkman out of the headphone jack into the mixer. Quality isn't great, but I'm only using it for fill-in music during breaks. Don't want it to sound too good, or the audience might prefer it to us.

• Members

Tascam has a new 1 unit high rack mount CD player that should handle DD/DCR/CDRW/CD-MP3 formats. Give them a couple months to get them in distriution and the target price seems to be pretty reasonable.

I use Marantz 320's and for an inexpensive unit, the Teac CDP-1250 w/ rack kit is hard to beat.

• Members

Philips CD Walkman, very quick seek time and music comes out in about 2 or 3 seconds. They read the most scratched up CD's too. For my bog FOH rack (which I used about every 3 months) I bought a sony CD player that's 2 spaces tall and attached it to a rack shelf. Dirty but works ok and it's prewired into a snake between FOH and the rack. Bought the player on ebay for 20 bucks, it's getting harder to find single disc players these days.

p

• Members

I still pack the CD player mostly to accomodate the backing track requests, although cassettes are still surprisingly common for backing tracks. I don't pack the cassette player anymore unless it's been fronted for the gig, or if I know I'm going to be hit with cassettes. I still get a few requests for DATs. At least nobody hits me with tin drum recordings.

LOL! Probably a good idea to keep the discman in the rotation though...

• Members
Originally posted by agedhorse

Tascam has a new 1 unit high rack mount CD player that should handle DD/DCR/CDRW/CD-MP3 formats. Give them a couple months to get them in distriution and the target price seems to be pretty reasonable.

I use Marantz 320's and for an inexpensive unit, the Teac CDP-1250 w/ rack kit is hard to beat.

Man you're really up on things aren't you...Thanks for the heads-up on the Tascam. I quickly checked the Marantz and Teac units and (on the Marantz) saw the term "pitch control" pop up again, while the Teac boasted "8x oversampling" and still others have "triple beam lasers". What the heck are the significance of these features?

• Members

I use a portable CD player if I need a CD, or a portable Minidisc if I need it. But most of the time I just pop the CD in my laptop for playback.

My boss uses an American Audio DJ-style CD player in his rack, and it seems like a very practical way to do it.

• Members

I use a trusty 1987 Magnavox home stereo CD player on a 2U shelf. It was the first CD player I ever owned and plays computer burned CD's just fine. I have a couple mp3 players, but I'm afraid I'll lose them, have them stolen or break em'. The darn CD player just won't die so I put it into service.

• Members

I quickly checked the Marantz and Teac units and (on the Marantz) saw the term "pitch control" pop up again, while the Teac boasted "8x oversampling" and still others have "triple beam lasers". What the heck are the significance of these features?

I suspect that for the most part Agedhorse is right about the real purpose of a lot of features is marketing.

I'm not exactly sure why 8x oversampling is necessary for a CD player. If you have a clean CD and a decent reader, it should only need to read the data once, not multiple times. Perhaps some manufactures are using oversampling as a form of error detection/correction, but I doubt it. The only "how come" information I can find re: oversampling and CDs appears to apply to the A to D process, not the D to A process.

The pitch correction is something useful for dancehall techno-pop DJ's. When mixing dancebeat songs for techno or trance you want to match the song that's coming up with the song that's playing, especially if you're samlping from various CD sources. There are also players that allow you to adjust tempo as well as pitch independantly. For spinning disks between sets of live music this is a unnecessary feature.

I've never heard of a triple beam laser before, but I suspect it's supposed to be some built-in redundancy like they use for the laser scanners at your local grocery store. More lasers means more data acquisition devices in order to provide good data from the CD the first time.

Guest Anonymous

The ESP skip protecting voo-doo stuff on the discman type devices seems to help considerably.

• Members

I got this 2U rackmount Denon CD player -

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-DEN-DNC615.html

...works great, never had a problem w/it. It plays CD's, CDR copies of CD (or "burned mixes"), even MP3 files on a CDR. I can leave it prewired in my rig (I have a Raxxess ConvertaRaxx 10/6), don't even have to mess with plugging + unplugging wires or cables.

It also has +or- 12% pitch change, which is a nice feature for practicing a tune in a different key or slowing it down to hear a difficult passage.

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by MDLMUSIC

I just use a battery-powered walkman out of the headphone jack into the mixer. Quality isn't great, but I'm only using it for fill-in music during breaks. Don't want it to sound too good, or the audience might prefer it to us.

Ha ha -

I used a similar philosophy when creating a disc of "Break Music" to use when playing with my friend's bar band on occasion: I put tunes on there that are cool and fun but that I know almost for sure that the band would never play them - you don't want to have the great original recording play on your break and then go up there w/the band and play some cheesy cover rendition of the same tune... :rolleyes::p

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by GigMan

I got this 2U rackmount Denon CD player -

I have the Denon DN-1000, which I think is basically the same thing as your 615, only the 1000 is maybe the pro radio studio rackmount version (minimal gadgets and a big green "PLAY" button)... but I'm sure it's got the same basic guts as your's. The DN-1000 looks great in the rack, and functions basically fine... but frankly, the $20 eBay Discman works better for not skipping in high SPL environments and being a little less fussy about CD's that look like they laid in the street for awhile.

Archived