31 band EQ

• Members

well I would say that the DBX is a better EQ, from a purely electronics standpoint.

How ever, you need to ask yourself if you need the FLS.

if so , how much is it worth to you?

resale on the DBX will be better.

if it where me, I would use DBX, if it where someone who was new to eq's and need something kinda simple I would go peavey.

For the frount mix, I would use DBX, monitors I could go either way.

Kev.

• Members

Originally posted by kevinnem

How ever, you need to ask yourself if you need the FLS.

if so , how much is it worth to you?

I dunno.. is it a newb device that I'll grow right out of?? I guess I don't since I have some experience w/ FB hunting.

Originally posted by The Real MC

I tried both and for a little more $$$ I wound up buying the Ashly GQX3102

LOL..little? It looks nice man but I can't swong that! :) Thanks anyhow though..

Originally posted by agedhorse

Practice PA... a DBX 231 would be just fine. Great actually.

Do you think the addtl features ie Limiter etc isn't worth it so much?

Thanks guys for the great feedback!!

• Members

Originally posted by SoundMan

I'm curious as to why you would say that. Is that your perception becuase of the names on the front?

SoundMan

no it is my persection from useing the 2 of them a ton, in fact they are the 2 most common eq's I use. Most often I will have one of the DBX at FOH if I am working out there, and if I am in monitor world I have a stack of 3 of the peavey's and 1 dbx

it s most certinly my perception - thats what the guy was asking for- and hey remember, everything in life is precetion, we can't be sure of anything.

Kevin.

• Members

Well in that case, it's not your "perception", it's your experience.

I wasn't challenging your experience. You said, "well I would say that the DBX is a better EQ, from a purely electronics standpoint."

When someone makes a statement like that, on a forum like this. I have to challenge it. A statement like this, to the newbie, makes it sound like you went through the schematics, analyzing the circuits and somehow determined the DBX electronics to be superior to the Peavey's.

Or maybe it only sounds like that to an engineer, like me.

Either way, if you've used them both extensively, and come to that conclusion, then I have to respect your experience.

SoundMan

• Members

I agree about repecting your experience. And everyone else on this board for that matter who extends to help.

From the comments its either 50/50 or DBX so it looks like I'll go ahead with the DBX.

Thanks for everyones good comments and feedback!

• Members

Originally posted by SoundMan

Well in that case, it's not your "perception", it's your experience.

I wasn't challenging your experience. You said, "well I would say that the DBX is a better EQ, from a purely electronics standpoint."

When someone makes a statement like that, on a forum like this. I have to challenge it. A statement like this, to the newbie, makes it sound like you went through the schematics, analyzing the circuits and somehow determined the DBX electronics to be superior to the Peavey's.

Or maybe it only sounds like that to an engineer, like me.

Either way, if you've used them both extensively, and come to that conclusion, then I have to respect your experience.

SoundMan

your right, that was a bit of a poor choice of words, what I intended to convey in my post was that I liked the DBX better as an EQ. IE if you ignore all teh bells and whistles and just look at what the EQ filter do. But the FLS thing may add value, paticulaierly to someone who is new to this class of EQ. The value of haveing the FLS might very well trump any possible benifit from a precieved quility stand point.

As a fellow engineer, I can also respect the frustration that you must have with public education of your product.

• Members

I don't know how much help this is to you ... but these dual 31 band units are discontinued and we no longer sell a dual unit. We have lowered the price of the single 31 band units QF131 to where they sell for about the same.

I, for one, would much rather deal with the long throw faders instead of the short ones ... if you have an extra rack space

• Members

I'd question anyone who puts a lot of ground between the two. Maybe you could measure a difference,maybe in a perfect world a great ear could hear a slight difference. But if you put either one in your rack and your sound isn't as good as you'd like,neither unit would be the reason,qualitywise or soundwise. Neither would hold back a great sounding system. If the handiness of the FLS is of any use to you,I'd say,go with that. The tradeoff is very slim or none. If the FLS is of absolutely no use,either one is fine.

Archived