First Gig: Review Yorkville EF500P, LS800P, A&H MixWiz 16:2

• Members

UN-FREAKEN-BELIVEABLE!!!

That is the first word that comes to mind to describe using this gear after just one weekend. Maybe that an slight overstatement,... or maybe the buzz is still carrying me... however what response do you expect from a band that has sounded like it was playing through a wet blanket all these years? This system has effectively replaced:

2-JBL MR-825.... which seemed to clip at a drop of a hat

2-JRX418S Nice budget subs with a decent thimb, but not alot of throw really

1-Berhinger Crossover-Brand new... our last purchase before we bit the bullet and bought this new system.

2- Crown CE 2000's- we will move these from FOH to replace our current monitor amp (one XLS 402) with these.... now with for individuals auxs and two stereo power amps we can have four independent monitor mixes

1- Mackie1604VLZ Pro Mixer-Which never seemed to work right after we originally purchased it. If we never use another Mackie product again I won't shed a tear... honestly.

Starting with the mixer, the Mix Wix is hands down the most important contributor to our improved sound. If we had stopped at just replacing the mixer we still would have had a dramatic improvement in clarity. As I said in a previous thread, one output channel of our 1604 VLZ, was cutting out intermittently. Vocals sounded distorted and muddy and the FOH mix over all sounded like we were playing through a blanket. The MIX WIZ is one of the easiest console layouts I've ever seen. We had it set up in minutes and dialed in a very healthy mix without using a FOH eq.

Adding the Yorkville Elite speakers to the setup was the best decision we could have made. Man I can't beleive how much sound comes out of that footprint. As I said in a previous thread, I recently cheacked out another band that used four pairs of MP418S's and MP415 tops for their FOH (easily $8,000 worth of speakers) and this system could easily compete. On Saturday we played a large sports bar, with 18ft ceiling and 4,000 sq ft layout and we easily filled the room. We weren't even at the unity mark on our board. My onlt critique is that near field... the EF500P's seem to throw alot of Mid range. Certainly you don't expect people to be that close to the speaker and critisize the sound, but we do play some smaller rooms where peeps are a handshake away.

We were able to secure the speakers thru a local dealer at an outsanding price but we purchased the board and the additional gear through Steve and Dan at Audio East. Wanted to thank Dan at AudioEast for his advice and detailed explanations on the pro's and cons of this system. He certainly earned my business from 220 miles away. :thu:

• Members

Glad you like your new system and welcome to the club.

Did you go Ef500p's over the Ls800p's or did you have the subs in the center with tops on tripods?

Put the subs in the center and expect even a little more.

I wish this system was out 18 years ago when I started out. Would have saved me lots of grief.

Dookietwo

Any pictures?

• Members

For those that have the experience, how would you compare the EF500P to the Peavey Impulse 1012P?

Same for the LS800P vs the Impulse 115P Subwoofer?

I really have had great experience with Peavey's durability but I have limited experience with Yorville enclosures and even less with powered speakers.

• Members

Originally posted by Strange

For those that have the experience, how would you compare the EF500P to the Peavey Impulse 1012P?

I really have had great experience with Peavey's durability but I have limited experience with Yorville enclosures and even less with powered speakers.

I don't have experience comparing the two, however the two most obvious differences between the EF500P and 1012P is Yorkville's 15" woofer and the plywood cabinent. I've been told the speaker drivers that Yorkville uses in their Elite series speakers are incredibly efficent. Most of the JBL M-Pro speakers are on par with Yorkville's NX speakers. I imagine the Peavey might line up the same.

In terms of reliability the 5 soundtechs and dealers I spoke with rated Yorkville #1 in reliability. The place I bought the Elites from just became a dealer in June. Since then they have sold 34 speakers... none have been returned.

• Members

Originally posted by Strange

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/64324/0#msg_64324

If you look at the thread above you will see how I compared a Peavey sp1g and Dth218b system of mine to the new Yorkville system I just purchased.

The sp1's would be quite a step above the 1012p's and were properly powered and had a good dsp behind them yet just kept up with the Yorkville tops. The dth 2-18 inch subs had 1050 watts to each and were 4 db's below in output compared to the yorkville ls800p's.

The yorkville system would be a large step up from a 1012p/115p system.GoingFrom SP1'g / Dth218b to a Yorkville Ef500p/Ls800p was a step up in sub output as well as ease of setup and truck space for me. The tops may have a db or 2 on the sp1g's. Please note that I like and used Peavey gear for 16 years or so and only went to yorkville to down size my pa.

Little did I know I would increase my spl and sound quality as well. For the 250 - 300 people gigs I do I like the yorkville system better.

Dookietwo

• Members

Congrats on the system. We've been using the same setup (still with the 1604 till the new PV mixer is out) for about 8 months now and love it. What we usually do is put both subs together on one side, with one top on a pole and then the other top opposite side on a tripod. They really thump when they are together. In some rooms its way too much, so we'll spread them out one per side.... I usually end up notching out some 250 hz 400hz and 4K with our set up....those tops just sound so smoooth :thu:

• Members

Congrats, Grant - glad to hear of your sonic success... :thu:

It seems you put a lot of thought, time, energy and hard-earned cash into your decision and you've already learned it's going to pay off big-time at every gig. That's fantastic! :)

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

Well even though we did spend some coin... a few of us are kicking ourselves.... "Why didn't we do this a year ago?"

Seriously, great system for the money. Will try to get some pics up after our next gig.

Kicking yourselves, eh? Just like I'm about to jump to VOIP (Voice Over IP) phone service - w/either Vonage or ATTCallVantage or Optimum Voice - I'll soon be paying a flat fee of around 30 bucks a month, kicking myself that I didn't do it sooner, wasting all that dough w/Verizon's obscene charges... LOL :D Don't sweat it though - change for the better is always good, even if it's a long-delayed, prolonged/procrastinted change - as most of mine are. :o

So Grant, are you going to be out in NJ this wknd. - Netcong or something, did you say? - - You can come check out my Motion-Sound KP200S in action in that funky little dive bar in Lk. Hopatcong, NJ, I sent you the info... :wave:

Archived