Your weekend... 5-20,21-06

• Members

Had to postpone this weekends show due to the fact our guitarist Marshall head has a freaking short in it and everybody we know won't give us a loaner and the damm Music store won't lease out their Marshall heads so all in all I'm bummed out because we started our first gig as a new band 6 weeks ago and already have our first cancellation.

• Members

Not meaning to insult, but is there a reason you can't settle for anything but a marshall?

I'm recovering from getting high yesterday. Went climbing in Squamish, and left alot of the skin from my knee there. :)

• Members

Originally posted by ctardi

Not meaning to insult, but is there a reason you can't settle for anything but a marshall?

I'm recovering from getting high yesterday. Went climbing in Squamish, and left alot of the skin from my knee there.
:)

Im also recovering from getting high yesterday. Also working on some quad boxes, and a new office which we were given. Will post pictures of both soon.

• Members

Originally posted by twostone

Had to postpone this weekends show due to the fact our guitarist Marshall head has a freaking short in it and everybody we know won't give us a loaner and the damm Music store won't lease out their Marshall heads so all in all I'm bummed out because we started our first gig as a new band 6 weeks ago and already have our first cancellation.

Silly reason to cancel a show IMHO. There's lots of amps from which one can get a decent sound, some of which are likely closer in sound to his Marshall model than are some of the other Marshall models. The sound is more in the players fingers than in the amp - I've heard guys make Bogners sound like crap, and have heard guys make Blues Juniors rock.

• Members

Did monitors for a pop/rap show. I don't know why they bothered selling beer; I think there may have been 3 people of age in the whole place. Aside from the usual lack of coordination and planning from the radio station folk, everything went fairly well - 11:00 curfew, 8 stagehands (instead of usual 4), everything down and packed in cases in under 2 hours.

Then it came time to get the chains down from the ceiling. You need the man-lift to get the chains down. The lift is parked outside and in order to get into the building has to get up a rather steep gravel/oil/loose asphalt loading ramp. Standard procedure is to call a tow truck and have the tow truck pull the thing into the building. Nobody thinks about this until everything else is done. So we wait for the tow truck; then we wait while the hoist the thing into the building, which is apparently much more difficult after a full day of rain.

Got home at 4:30 when I should have been home around 2:00.

-Dan.

• Members

That's why I'm bummed because of the Marshall I know it's a guitarist thing I have a J-station which is just like a POD which in my opinon doesn't have a bad sounding Marshall sim. I know it's not the real thing but WTF it would get us by , but since we're down to 1 guitarist he refuses to play out with out his vintage JMC45 Marshall which he had hotroded recently which I think that's the problem. In my opinon it sounded just great before the alterations but WTF do I know about Marshall amps:freak: I beleive the amp is older then him so I guess I just have to wait and see how long it's gonna take his buddy to fix it again. I'll look on the bright side it will give me a chance to watch and learn how this badass bass player of another local band rips up the bass.:thu:

• Members

Not much so far - busy shop week with a big show going on tomorrow, a couple of onsite service calls I had to do, etc. But I did find time to finally do a rigging shackle inventory and cull out some questionable shackles. Got saddled with the emergency pager this weekend, and while its supposedly rare I already got a last-minute page by somebody needing some gear.

Today I got in a very nice bike ride on the first really sunny day in a week, then went down to CDW to buy a new wireless router and play with the new MacBooks.

Anybody get a chance to do the Boot Camp and Windows XP on an Intel Mac yet? I'm hoping to replace my creaky old iBook but I need the ability to run dbx Driveware and similar device-programming Windows apps. If I could have an Apple notebook and be able to boot Windows for that stuff I'd be in heaven. And all I've been able to get so far is "it should work".

• Members

Originally posted by milesdf

my advice is to buy a regular laptop, much better value.

Well, I've been going back and forth on that. I'm not interested in running Windows except when it's the only way to run certain software. So the other plan is to buy a regular Windows laptop and run Linux most of the time. There's a little bit of a driver issue on newer hardware and Linux, though - maybe Dell, which tends to provide Linux drivers, would work out OK. But if there's a laptop with both 100% supported Apple and drivers are provided for Windows, and it's also a really nice and elegant box, that's worth a lot too. I'd end up spending a couple hundred extra to buy WinXP, though.

Tough call, but I really do need to get around to replacing the old iBook. :(

• Members

Lessee . . .

Last weekend we did three: a big banquet on Friday and two services on Sunday instead of our usual one. The banquet rocked! I was expecting a total trainwreck, but was rewarded with what everybody said was an awesome night. I'm usually our lead vox but haven't had any voice for over eight weeks. (At first I thought it was allergies but now it seems to be something more serious.) To compensate, I've been pushing one of the backup singers to the forefront and the kid (28, hardly a kid I guess) nailed it! The best I or anybody else has ever heard her sing. Everybody was really tight, there weren't any gear issues, it was arguably the best we've ever done.

This morning's rehearsal was a bit different, however. No one was clicking. Every voice was flat, I couldn't sing a note, had a fight with my keyboardist (my wife) in the middle of rehearsal, the amp for our main tops started intemittently cutting out, our bass player is now on night shift and unavailable to play for an indefinite period, in other words SNAFU. God is good. Tomorrow is another day.

• Members

Originally posted by milesdf

Im also recovering from getting high yesterday. Also working on some quad boxes, and a new office which we were given. Will post pictures of both soon.

Climbing?

• Members

Originally posted by ctardi

Climbing?

------------------

LOL... I don't think milesdf is talking about the same "high" you were... either a subtle joke, or not accurately reading your post, not having yet recovered from HIS "high". ;)

Or... :idea: maybe he went climbing, too.

• Members

Originally posted by twostone

That's why I'm bummed because of the Marshall I know it's a guitarist thing I have a J-station which is just like a POD which in my opinon doesn't have a bad sounding Marshall sim. I know it's not the real thing but WTF it would get us by , but since we're down to 1 guitarist he refuses to play out with out his vintage JMC45 Marshall which he had hotroded recently which I think that's the problem. In my opinon it sounded just great before the alterations but WTF do I know about Marshall amps:freak: I beleive the amp is older then him so I guess I just have to wait and see how long it's gonna take his buddy to fix it again. I'll look on the bright side it will give me a chance to watch and learn how this badass bass player of another local band rips up the bass.
:thu:

----------------------------

My and others' initial response to twostone's original post of this situation were somewhat carefully stated so as to not offend twostone, but finding that twostone is not at fault, I will state that this is the most offensive and childish thing I've ever heard, or is it just because I haven't encountered as many musicians as you guys.

I know a handfull of musicians, and I've encountered more from mixing a few bands in the past and just occasionally now... and some are very self-centered, but this guy takes the cake, at least for me.

(He CANCELED a whole Gig, cause his "SPECIAL" amp was down, and nobody would/could supply one to his liking)

I help out regularly with the local live-theater stuff and know a lot of the "Actors" (you wanna talk about some petty egos... argh!!!) and still there's an absolute mentality of "The Show must go on"!!!

I've seen my friend/fellow teacher (lead-guitar) play so ill he couldn't even sing his leads, couldn't hardly stand up!

I'm sure this guitar player isn't the norm, but has anyone here heard of anything this offensive and selfish? I mean, I just can't get over this guy!

• Members

We had two one-nighters that went OK...the PA was great...the crowds were just OK.

The first place was a new club that was trying bands for the second week. The were marketing strong but were trying to migrate from a under 25yo dance crowd that wanted thumping hip-hop. The mgmt was telling me he had a crowded house wiht that format but the crowd didn't spend or tip and they had to hire loads of security to handle all the fights and vandelism; the end result was good ring with lots of overhead. Anyway...back to our Friday night...the crowd was into us but it was very small so those nights are always like paid practice for the bad.

Our Saturday night was great...we played a covered pavillion stage at a place that we normally play inside. Because of noise ordinances we had to start @ 8:00 and kill it by 12:00. From 10 - 12:-00 the place was rockin but the first two sets were a bit slow.

• Members

Well I got to see my favorite bass player last night and I was awe struck again from Primus to Geddy Lee what a amazing bass player, thanks KB for the cool lessons to during breaks also thanks to the rest of the band for letting me hang with the soundman and learning something new. Also couldn't help from noticing their guitarist just had a small 2x12 Peavey amp which sounded great which I pointed out to my guitarist that you don't have to have a Marshall half stack to have killer chops but we'll be back out for sure next weekend with or with out the Marshall. My old bands guitarist is giving us a loaner since their off next weekend it's a do or die for our guitarist, he knows if he don't play I have another guitarist line up that I met last night which they let sit in and he's just as good as ours and not near as picky about what F@#$king amp he's got to play thru. So now I gotta go practice the new bass scales he taght me Peace out.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Mark G. Hinge

------------------

LOL... I don't think milesdf is talking about the same "high" you were... either a subtle joke, or not accurately reading your post, not having yet recovered from HIS "high".
;)

Or...
:idea:
maybe he went climbing, too.

I seem to remember him saying he was a climber, but am not sure. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Graduation season starting already... did one for 4k folks.

Took advantage of nice weather and rode horses all afternoon.

OK so let's see.....county wide we're all in the same school district. Maniditory consolidation going on so I'm thinking help out the school board when you can. Did graduation ..... outside for the first time. Get a call from high school principal at the main school. They would like it for free. 2,000 ppl. ...No problem. "Just please have me help." Now for those of you who don't know, I teach special ed. Tons of paperwork. Plus getting my masters. I'll fit it in. Long story short. Had to set by 9am on Friday for practice. Grad at 10 on Sat. Comes tear out and there is nobody there. Oh well....another day living in a small town. Nothin' a script of vicodin can't handle. I can't wait till they ask me next year and my master's is complete, with a 4.0 no doubt. They can kiss my slide rule.........Later.:)

• Members

Yeah... there is this phenomenon with people that you're worth what you charge.

It's a real shame, cause we love to do people favors, but the favors are LESS appreciated than if ya rip their eyes out. It kinda breaks your spirit.

I teach too, and I notice that when ya do kids favors, instead of respecting and appreciating, they tend to think you're a sucker.(Tough for me, cause I'm a really nice guy in my advancing years... argh!)

It's a shame that adults can be the same way. :(

For me, my spirit has to just be satisfied that I did a good thing. I'm not even thinking of the payback, this world or next... I figure I'm paying back, as I've already been blessed, especially considering my past, in that I'm not in prison, let alone still alive. lol.

Maybe think of it more that way, and you'll feel better. Don't stop being good cause others aren't.

Love,

• Members

We showed up to our gig on Friday night to find out the bar manager double booked. Called our agent and he tore into the manager a little and then we went home. It sucks because we had a bunch of people going and I had to call everyone I knew to tell them not to go.

First time that has ever happened for me.

• Members

last week was a killer!

Sunday night, Dad taken by ambulance to the hospital, monday morning kicked out(3:30ish!), monday after noon back in, long story short - gull stones home at 2:00 ish.

tusday, saw dad for a bit, up untill 12:30 building speakers, and distro.

Wednessday, saw dad for a bit, up untill 1:00 finish distro load up gear for next days show.

thusday , was supost to be a fast gig (1.5 hour, on a trailer that was then pulled in to a secure area, but had a LOT of problems with getting paid, and they didn't have a big trailer, and we have to set up 3 times in different places, lots of pissing around wiht stpid people..... gig was supost to be 5 - 7, ended up 4:30 to 1:00. not happy.

Friday did the same gig 5- 7 , took down 89% of the rig, and set it off to a all night rave to be up and runnign by 8:15. - some issue with breakers poping, by client liked it. .. rave finished at 6:10 in the morning, load up gear BACK to theother gig for a 10:00 sound check.

Saterday, sound check at 10, band on at 11, baseball game at 12 (by the way "the gig" was 4 days at the base ball stadium, playing to people showing up.)

saterday after noon went to see dad in the hospital (he has been there for a week at this point- already had 1 surgery, waiting for second).

Sunday morning, 7:30 call for set up at a church for a sevice I sometimes do for them, done at 12:300 pick up mom, drop her off at hospital, then go load up gear the baseball gig (georege ran sound that mornign while I was at the church), that took untill 5:00 - went and saw dad, then took momo home, had to fix there computer(kevin, my internet is not working...can you fix it.....), then went home.

and on the 7 th day he rested.

Archived